Bodykits, Interior modifications, Rice Products, anything that is for looks

Moderators: IMC, Club Staff

JagerMarty
Apprentice
jedwabna poszewka promocja

Mesh grill @ front, replace or repair?

Post by JagerMarty »

Hey ppl,
just a query about the little mesh grill in front of the radiator, it's the only part of my car that's corroded and looks crap.
Any ppl had theirs replaced or repaired or chromed?
I've seen a place in the UK that replaces them with stainless steel but they have been out of stock for ages.
Any experiences here with this, and is it hard to remove??
cheers,
Marty
kazbah
National Secretary

Post by kazbah »

Hay Marty,

I am about to replace mine also. Super Cheap Autos have different coloured ones for $50. Dont know how difficult it will be to replace - thats hubby's job!!! :lol: but for $50 its worth a try! Hope that helps
Kaz
JagerMarty
Apprentice

Post by JagerMarty »

Don't want a coloured one, just chrome or S.steel, had a feel under there and it looks hard to detach from car. Might have to go over to a mates so I can get under the car.
I also want to invert the number plate holder at the front so it's not blocking the front low vent, not for airflow purposes, it just looks out of place.
kazbah
National Secretary

Post by kazbah »

Sorry should have clarified.... They have chrome ones also - thats the one I'm getting...
elmo
Grease Monkey

grille

Post by elmo »

Mines stuffed too.
Will be replacing it with galvabond stainless steel mesh when the bumper comes off to fit T-spoiler and paint (when it finally arrives).
Looks like there are clamps with a srcew through them. Should be eay to remove with bumper off but a bit tricky with it on maybe. Hope you got a lot of patience and a good set of screwdrivers. Let me know how you go.
GPXXX
Oldtimer

Post by GPXXX »

why not just get a can of silver paint and spray over the rusted area on the original mesh?
Breza
Mechanic

Post by Breza »

Guys,

Try www.metalmesh.com.au, they have 304 grade stainless mesh the same as funky products in UK.

You have to order it by the metre and have it cut on a 45 degree angle.

Get 2 other mates and you should get 3 grills worth for around $40 each.

Looks sweet on a black FTO when combined with a chrome Mitsu star. Better than the shite they sell at auto shops.

Need any more info just mail me at blk_fto@bigpond.com

Cheers

Chris
kazbah
National Secretary

Post by kazbah »

why not just get a can of silver paint and spray over the rusted area on the original mesh?
Hubby suggested that also (I think he just wanted to get out trying to get the mesh out without removing the bumper :wink: ) Problem with that is those types of paint fade. The paint doesnt seem to adhere to the original surface well and just basically look crap - sorry :P :P !
dannyboyau
Veteran Mechanic

Post by dannyboyau »

you can also use aluminium which is lighter and wont rust
kazbah
National Secretary

Post by kazbah »

Aluminum grill from Super Cheap Autos ($30) is in. Didnt require the removal of the bumper. The original grill was removed with a right angeled philips head screw driver. Had trouble with the bottom crew at the air intake box - but just cut the grill away from it, so now it's not connected at that point, but it is not really necessary... Looks awsome!! What a difference to the front of the car... For a very cheap outlay :wink: :wink: :wink:
fuhrer
Apprentice

hey

Post by fuhrer »

hey guys but sorry where is super cheap auto???
im in melb...
THE FUHRER
kazbah
National Secretary

Post by kazbah »

I have a feeling Super Cheap Autos is only in NSW. Maybe there is a similar type of place in Vic. It's basically a discount auto shop - sorry I couldnt have been more help :cry: :cry:
GPXXX
Oldtimer

Re: hey

Post by GPXXX »

fuhrer wrote:hey guys but sorry where is super cheap auto???
im in melb...
Whereabouts in melb are you at? there is a Super Cheap Auto outlet opposite the Watergardens S/C @ Taylor's Lakes (along Melton Hwy).
fuhrer
Apprentice

dam

Post by fuhrer »

dam nah im on the other side of melb doncaster...
im after some foot pedals as well and the mesh... but cant seem to find any that have foot rests as well?? yes been to all the usual places... no go any ideas???
THE FUHRER
elmo
Grease Monkey

supercheap

Post by elmo »

supercheap just took over MARWLOWS in WA.
Guess that makes em our biggest parts supplier over here now too.
Dunno if that helps.
kazbah
National Secretary

Post by kazbah »

Hay Fuhrer, I took a stab and did a web search and sure enough Super Cheap Auto have a site http://www.supercheapauto.com.au and when you look up the Store Locator there are a shite load of them in Vic..... Good hunting :wink: :wink: :wink:
GPXXX
Oldtimer

Re: dam

Post by GPXXX »

fuhrer wrote:dam nah im on the other side of melb doncaster...
im after some foot pedals as well and the mesh... but cant seem to find any that have foot rests as well?? yes been to all the usual places... no go any ideas???
the closest Super Cheap Auto outlet from Doncaster would be Ringwood i believe, just hop on to Maroondah Hwy... adress is (thanks to Kazbah):

Shop 169 Ringwood Markets
Bond Street
RINGWOOD VIC 3134

as for pedals, have you tried Autobarn opp. Shoppo @ corner of Donny Rd / Station St? They usually have pretty good gear in stock...

otherwise you can try:

1) JR Auto Concept, Box Hill
2) Speedbox, Box Hill

They're no more than 5 mins drive from Shoppo so check 'em out!
rxboy
Mechanic

Post by rxboy »

Just wondering if anybody knows whether a different aperture size in the mesh grill will affect overall airflow to the engine, hence affecting performance?
ruchi
Oldtimer

Post by ruchi »

I replaced my front grill with one of the aluminium ones from Super Cheap Auto a couple of weeks ago. It only cost $30, and looks great.

You can remove the existing grill without having to remove the front nose / bumper, but you will need to be dextrous. You will need either a small or 90 degree cross-head screwdriver, as well as a set of pliers.

As soon as I put the new grill on, the car seemed a little quieter, smoother and like it had a little more punch. I put this down to co-incidence, as I can see no logical reason as to why this would be. However, I had made no other changes that would bring about this change either. Perhaps it has something to do with the apperture of the grill and airflow? Perhaps it is just in my mind :lol:

Here's a hint for anyone planning to do it:
The new grill is much larger than the existing one, so it needs to be trimmed to shape. An easy way to do this is to remove the old grill first, then place this on top of the new aluminium grill. Then simply bend the new aluminium grill around the shape of the old grill. Bend it to 90 degrees and then back flat, do it two or three times and the excess grill will simply snap off. You'll then be left with a perfect fitting and very shiny new grill. This sure beats using tin snips or other cutters, and produces a cleaner cut.
smorison
The Godfather

Post by smorison »

rxboy wrote:Just wondering if anybody knows whether a different aperture size in the mesh grill will affect overall airflow to the engine, hence affecting performance?
ever extra bit of metal creates more windage. whether or not it is noticable is really hard to say. imho the less the better as it will help keep your raditator at proper temperature.

but you shouldn't notice anything.