Twin Exhaust?

This forum is for technical discussions on anything that will make your car handle better or go faster.

Moderators: IMC, Club Staff

MattG
Grease Monkey
jedwabna poszewka promocja

Post by MattG »

Also using the standard air box instead of a pod filter makes the car a little bit quieter. Its a 10 min job to take one off and replace it (usually) so you may also want to do this before you get tested (in case they also defect you for the pod filter also.

M@
http://www.forensicdata.com.au
The Data Recovery Experts
lal
Grease Monkey

Post by lal »

thanks for the advice, fortunately the car has a standard air filter, no pod...yet! :wink:
lal
Grease Monkey

Post by lal »

thanks for the update sbe8888
i just brought the car for a noise inspection during the weekend... and IT PASSES!!! it's within the legal limit they have specified 90db at 4125rpm
so it looks like i don't have to get a any muffler :D

Police and EPA, just beucause they see 2 cannon like tips coming out of the centre of my car, they think it's over the limit. Actually the reason the previous owner did this was to probably distribute the sound, hence it not as loud if it had just 1 tip.

sbe888, maybe you can try that?? find out if that will actually cut the noise down.
lal
Grease Monkey

Post by lal »

I went to a MIDAS... i think you have to go to one that's not a small branch, as the first one I went to didn't have the gear (Richmond Rd Blacktown). The branch at Sunnyholt Rd did.
The noise check only cost me $15.
He wrote the readings, so if I get pulled over I'll just show them the readings... (another thing if they'll believe it :) )
the reading was 76db @41000 rpm and 88db on backoff.
worth it for $15, at least you know how much you're over by and ask what can be done to tame your loud beauty :D if that's what you want.
D-TRAIN
Mechanic

Post by D-TRAIN »

sbe8888 wrote:Hi lal,

Just had the "hot dog" fitted to my exhaust... cost $110.
Cut down sound by 20% only (gauge by hearing)...
And the hot-dog is not a muffler but simply more fibre in a tube to soften the sound...

Didnt work much for mine... still bloody loud! :(
Think will try something else next time....
Yeah I happened to hear your exhaust one day on Anzac Pd (I wasn't driving the FTO) and did think to myself that was pretty <insert expletive here> loud!! This was about a month ago I think.
thecook
Mechanic

Post by thecook »

would a 3inch inlet and 4 inch tip fit?
D-TRAIN
Mechanic

Post by D-TRAIN »

It's not recommended to go greater than 2.5" with a NA FTO due to the loss in back pressure with a bigger exhaust.
lal
Grease Monkey

Post by lal »

was scheduled to change my muffler today that's not straight thru design (too loud with current muffler). The exhaust man said it was straight thru and I needed one that wasn't srt8 thru and it'll be quieter...anyways... he ordered a 2.5" muffler... but when we had the car up on the hoist... we discovered that it is infact a 3" muffler....
I have no idea what the previous owner did with the car... he has put a new cat, i don't know what it is???
now the exhaust man has ordered a 3" muffler..
reading from this thread and others, you say that anything greater than 2.5" on a NA car will result in too much loss of back pressure...
he said.. since the piping of my car splits to 2 pipes (twin cannon tip) after the muffler.. if i put in a 2.5" muffler it will stuff up the performance of my car... since it will be going from a small pipe to a big pipe... the two pipes I think is 2" each... but with a 3" muffler going to theose two pipes... it's ok...

I don't know if I made sence with what I wrote.. but basically... should I just spend $$$ and restore the piping back to 2.5" from the cat back or... stay with the current set up?? at the moment the pipes are not in the origInal place... it's dead straight in the middle of the car.... no bends except when the pipes become 2.. a small stick figure below..
any thoughts?? sorry for the long post :oops:

|
0 <-- cat
|
0 <-- muffler
|
| | <-- separates to 2 pipes in the middle of the car
| |
ruchi
Oldtimer

Post by ruchi »

it's a good thing they check the sound level at around 4,000 RPM, before the Mivec kicks in! Might be a different story at 5,500 RPM and above
smorison
The Godfather

Post by smorison »

yeah there's plenty of us at F.O.T. that are way beyond the dB rating... ooops
JSP-INC
Grease Monkey

Post by JSP-INC »

i dont recommend the Apexi Dunk Megaphone...
I used to have it and whilst it idle quietly at the lights, it was another story when cruisin... anything past 3000-4000 it was waaaaay too loud..
Toni (SXCFTO) could tell ya that....
Awesome sound, bit too loud... lolz
Fto's are hard to keep quiet, i think they're bout 86-88db stock?????
FTO338
Oldtimer

Re: ...

Post by FTO338 »

JSP-INC wrote: Fto's are hard to keep quiet, i think they're bout 86-88db stock?????
Well compare WRX, FTO are pretty quiet...
DISCLAIMER: The above text is the personal opinion of the author and does not represent the indisputable truth. The author is not responsible for any deaths, injuries or mental illness caused by the above statments.
GPXXX
Oldtimer

Re: ...

Post by GPXXX »

FTO338 wrote:
JSP-INC wrote: Fto's are hard to keep quiet, i think they're bout 86-88db stock?????
Well compare WRX, FTO are pretty quiet...
ok now compare Eric's FTO with your average tuned WRXs out there... 8O
FTO338
Oldtimer

Post by FTO338 »

ok u got the point there, but we are talking about average FTO here!
DISCLAIMER: The above text is the personal opinion of the author and does not represent the indisputable truth. The author is not responsible for any deaths, injuries or mental illness caused by the above statments.
lal
Grease Monkey

Post by lal »

EPA jsut failed my muffler... too loud on back off..
looks like I have to get rid of the custom exhaust which the previous owner put in ( 3" piping straight thru with twin muffler)..
can someone please confirm the stock pipe size of an FTO?
I know you shouldn't go past 2.5" on a NA FTO but what is the stock size?
say the stock is 2.25"... will going 2.5" piping make it louder?

anyone know how much it may cost?? i need to get this done this week... they have given me a letter that they will unregister my car at the end of this week... and get this... I had to fight with them so I can getr a booking this week... they said the first opening they had was mid Feb... so they told me not to used the car?!?!?!! :evil: even if I got the muffler fixed this week... they couldn't test it till Feb????
anyways.. the guy will now come in early on Friday so he can test the car (once i get it back to stock)..... they wouldn't even extend the date of unregister just becuase they are booked out for the next 2 months??? :evil:

Looks like the EPA has more power than the police.... :evil:
anyways... please let me know if anyone knows a good place they can recommend.. also.. do you think a cannon with a baffle will pasS?? :?