My Carputer MP3 & GPS Project

This forum discusses anything to do with your In Car Entertainment requirements such as. Stereo's, TV screens, Speakers, Navigation Systems, etc

Moderators: IMC, Club Staff

G_A_V
Veteran Mechanic
jedwabna poszewka promocja

My Carputer MP3 & GPS Project

Post by G_A_V »

As Some of you might be aware, i have been posting updates on my Carputer Project in different threads, and I have decided to Colaborate all that information, and give some more updates.

Carputer System V1
This system comprised of a Basic Kiosk system i had ordered from the States.
It contained a 10.4" 200nit Touchscreen Monitor which I extended the cables to house the cpu behind the screen. This was a very budget system, to get a feel of things.
The CPU was an Intel P2 400mhz system, that ran off DC and had 64mb of Ram. It ran Windows 98 Lite, Which I had cut down. But the GPS software I wanted to use would not work in 98, and also that system was incomaptible with Win XP So I ditched this system and Started on V2.
Photos of V1

Version 2
This System I am constantly improving until I have a Stock Look.
Specs:
A HP Mini ITX E-pc (this is HP's Small Form Factor PC)
*Intel P3 1Ghz Processor
*256mb Ram
*Windows XP Lite (Boots very very quick) Modified with XPE Minlogon (makes it boot quicker), and MS Bootprep (for quicker booting times again)
*24x Cdrom
*Lilliput 2005 7" XGA Touch screen
*USB Gps (from ebay)
*Creative Live USB Soundcard (to get rid of alternator wine)
*802.11b USB Wireless Card

Here are photos

I am now currently working on Integrating my screen into my Dash.
I have taken some of my dash out, and Cut away some parts to fit the screen in. And also used epoxy to stick the screen bezel to the dash.

Once I have the Screen positioned how I want it. I will use Plastic Bondo Over the top to fill in all gaps, and I will sand it back and re bondo it till I have a look I like.
Finally I will have it sprayed and Fitted with the screen put back together.
Ill post pics as I make modifications, for anyone interested
FTO338
Oldtimer

Post by FTO338 »

Looks like you spend endless hrs on it, but i'm sure the finish product would worth it. Well done mate.

Which software did u use for navigation?
DISCLAIMER: The above text is the personal opinion of the author and does not represent the indisputable truth. The author is not responsible for any deaths, injuries or mental illness caused by the above statments.
G_A_V
Veteran Mechanic

Post by G_A_V »

Yeah I am sure I will never get to the point where I am "finished" but Im having fund and Learning new things as I go.
The software I chose for gps is Desntinator, which is avalible for PDAs, but a Port for PCs has been made
The MP3 Software is called frodoplayer, and can integrate Destinator in it.
Oh yeah Once I get the Screen looking how I like, the next project will be a Boot install which Will house the PC, Amp, and 2 10" Subs with enough room for a strut brace and Plenty of room for luggage. Oh yeah and keeping the spare tyre accessable.
I am a little worried about screwing in to the bodywork, for the custom boot install, so i might need to ask some advice on that
mxysxy
Oldtimer

Post by mxysxy »

Good work Gav,
You are inspiring me to do such a job.
I also got few questions,
- where did you had to stick the gps receiver. (I am assuming front or back window)
- Is the computer swithes on with ignition or there is a button for it.
- I think you will be using your computer as a cd-player/radio (like a regular headunit) as well. Now, I was trying to understand the connections to the speakers and sub. But couldnt imagine how I would connect all the cables to a sound card.

Thanks mate, well done
[img]http://www.smyrnaie.com/SeatCovers/FTO/ftobanner.jpg[/img]
FTO338
Oldtimer

Post by FTO338 »

mxysxy wrote: But couldnt imagine how I would connect all the cables to a sound card.
You can get a 3.5mm to RCA convertor, which then of course you can connect it to the amp.
DISCLAIMER: The above text is the personal opinion of the author and does not represent the indisputable truth. The author is not responsible for any deaths, injuries or mental illness caused by the above statments.
G_A_V
Veteran Mechanic

Post by G_A_V »

The Gps recieve is on my parcel shelf at the moment, i have barley played with it at the moment. I havent got a lock yet iny mr garage but aparetly its difficult to get first lock, then you can nearly lock anywhere.
At the moment, I have computer ona +12v going in to a dc-dc convertor, and the screen and amp come on with the ingition. how ever I am about to buy one of these

http://www.carnetix.com/P1280/p1280_main.htm

Whcih control the pc for you depending on the ACC status.

Ok when it comes to connecting the sound to the speakers, I have a Mini phono plug (head phones plug) going to rca, which then goes into my amp. and the amp goes to the speakers.
Once I have everything wired up to my likeing ill make some diagrams to show you guys.
Just remember to go for a USB soundcard, because this cuts out all engine (alternator) whine
G_A_V
Veteran Mechanic

Post by G_A_V »

I just did the first layer of plastic bondo/filler. It turned out a little better then i expected, I will wait till tomorrow, and sand it back and do another layer, and repeat the process the next few days. here is a photo of the first layer unsanded

Also that epoxy stuffis strong glue. I glued the screen to the frame, and the frame had actually broken in 2 peices, which you cant see anymore, but the epoxy fixed it right up and it feels stronger then before
G_A_V
Veteran Mechanic

Post by G_A_V »

I did a fair bit of work the last couple weeks my car was in the shop.
I did a few more layers of bondo and sanding and go to this point

Then today i have done a few layers of primer, though i stuffed it a bit trying to sand it while it was still wet (thats why there is a few un even bits)
tomorrow ill sand it down a bit more, and apply the primer again. I also picked up some matt Black spray paint which looks pretty close to the colour of the fto's middle panel.
umm
Grease Monkey

Post by umm »

Your making me really want to start something like this, but i got no money :(
Its looking good. i noticed you decided to cover up the buttons, ash tray and cig lighter. It makes it look way smoother, very nice.

Keep the updates coming, its really interesting to see how its coming along. :)
G_A_V
Veteran Mechanic

Post by G_A_V »

I nearly finished the screen, I got rid of the buttons because it was too hard to re cunstruct them in the right place. I made a small hole temp for the remote to control the screen, but this will be covered up soon when i work out how to get this screen to auto-on
I also got a small crack which ill patch up the same time, it was where i sanded the bondo back too far.
I also got a little bit of glue on the gear boot, so i have some blue leather to match my interior, which i want to sew in to a new gear boot when i have the time
kid_dynamite
Veteran Mechanic

Post by kid_dynamite »

Found a couple of FTOs on mp3car.com - might like to take a look :D

http://www.mp3car.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=41287
http://www.mp3car.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=23775
http://www.mp3car.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=23775

Nice work with the moulding though.
How's the Lilliput's screen during the daytime - can you see it very well?
mrStumpy
Grease Monkey

Post by mrStumpy »

can you hook a aftermarket ECU to the carputer so you can adjust fuel mixture, boost, etc?
http://ftogpxfs.blogspot.com/
Supplanter
Forum Moderator

Post by Supplanter »

Now that your beast is up for sale, Gav, what are you going to do with your carputer?
LED ALL the things.
smorison
The Godfather

Post by smorison »

mrStumpy wrote:can you hook a aftermarket ECU to the carputer so you can adjust fuel mixture, boost, etc?
the perfect power plugs into any windows server as long as you have a long enough serial cable...

that said... the only time my ecu gets changed is on the dyno and only after work on the car... its just not the sort of thing i want to play with all the time.