First track run - Mallala 13/03/05

Cruises, Meeting's and State Specific Information

Moderators: IMC, Club Staff

mrx
Veteran Mechanic
jedwabna poszewka promocja

First track run - Mallala 13/03/05

Post by mrx »

Well, I finally got onto the track in the FTO. Was an interesting experience, and HUGE fun!

Having never been on the track before, I spent the first session basically getting a feel for the track, trying to pick up braking points etc, but I had to work out this for both the track and for the car! The traffic in this session was also a problem - the range of cars was very diverse each with their own strengths and weaknesses. To see a porsche cup car accelerate away from you - at around 120km/h - on the outside line around a sweeper - like you are basically standing still, is a sight to behold.

Second session was much better, as there were far less cars (due in part I think to the excessive heat) and I was starting to get a better feel for it and beginning to push some more. Still was nowhere near the limit on braking and cornering, but was progressively getting faster. Hand timed by Luca to be a best of 1m34, which was good considering I still have stock discs and I was still really feeling my way around.

Certainly was nowhere near the slowest car on the track, there was a BMW club day or something there with about 4 on the track (including a couple of M3's), and they were all pretty much s l o w. And an RX7 that was there was pathetically slow - and he was really trying too.

I decided to call it a day after that, as:
1. I was getting really tired due to a late night and excessive alcohol consumption the night before (for which I can blame Luca & Christie :wink: )
2. Everything on the car was getting very hot as it was a 35 degree day. brakes were getting a bit soft (even with racebrakes pads on the front), tyres were getting a bit squirmy and the engine was also getting very warm after a basically flat out second session. Plus, the driver was also getting hot and we had other plans to go too in the arvo.

Still a few seconds to be gained - confident that on a cooler day, when I am a little more alert, I could break into the 1m20's. However, to put that in perspective, the lap record for the mirage cup was a 1m20. That now makes my time look a bit sad :cry: .

Still, all great fun and a real learning experince. Highlightes any weaknesses in your car (and your abilities :D ), but at $70 for the day (5 sessions) it is great value. Even if you only did 2 or 3 sessions, it is well worth it.

So, for any South Aussies reading this - please consider coming along to the next one, even just for a look! It is awesome fun and perfectly safe - the car has come through unscathed (I think) and I cannot wait for the next one. Next time we should have at least one other FTO on track which will be great fun. Don't know when that will be - possibly in May or June but too early to tell.

Just come along!
SilentBob
Mechanic

Post by SilentBob »

hehe
the lap time thing i wouldnt worry about...
when we did our track day the lap times were equivalent to the daewoo cup lap times....

congrats on wearing out your tyres...what was kel's take on your fun?

SilentBob
sonic
Apprentice

Post by sonic »

Guys Gsr/Evo is having their own on May 16th (monday - Public Holiday) let me know if you want to come along, will be much better for getting quality track time.......oh and the track record for mirage cup is actually 1.18!!! 8O (Got to love a mirage!!) you will find the next time just from knowing the track you will reduce your times too!!

Jaime
Luca
Grease Monkey

Post by Luca »

I'm in :)
mrx
Veteran Mechanic

Post by mrx »

I'll be in that too. Will have made a couple of changes to the car by then. Of course, so long as I am not on a track filled with EVO's and GSR's I'll be happy. Get sick of looking in the mirrors for faster cars....

And if a mirage runs a 1m18, I'm going home!
mrx
Veteran Mechanic

Post by mrx »

SilentBob wrote:hehe
congrats on wearing out your tyres...what was kel's take on your fun?

SilentBob
She was there and enjoyed it actually. Hopefully next time it will be a bit cooler - didn't do anyone any favours.
sonic
Apprentice

Post by sonic »

Im sure that we will be running it in 'classes'.....you will be able to head out with the lancers/mirages if you want......then you can be the ones everyone is looking in their mirrors for.......although evo times are still mid 20's so they're not that much quicker....

Jaime