Got a problem with your FTO? ask about it here

Moderators: IMC, Club Staff

Jono
Mechanic
jedwabna poszewka promocja

Intermittent Starting

Post by Jono »

hey guys,

as the subject says, sometimes my car doesnt start on first try, but normally second attempt it will start after a good length of ignition, and rarely i might have to try 3 times. The starter motor keeps spinning but no ignition.

This does not happen regularly. say once a week or every fortnight. I have a feeling its when i drive in a more "sportier" fashion and then turn off the car then come back to the car shortly after.

Ive had my injectors(sonic cleaned), plugs and fuel filter changed less than a year ago, and had my starter motor recond' about 2 years ago. Starter motor is still fine.

Any Ideas?
Jono
pagan
Grease Monkey

Post by pagan »

just recently this has started happening to me also. maybe 3-4 times over last 2 months, the car wont click over until third or forth shot.

due to having owned a VL, one of the problems with that car was that sometimes the gear wouldnt be FIRMLY in park and so the car wouldnt start. so from paranoia i now take the FTO out of park and put it back in and it starts but i have no idea if its a similer thing, since it starts third shot without doing this.

i originally thought starter, but thats working fine... my alternator is stuffed AGAIN!, mivec not working again, hasnt been for couple months, you think this has something to do with it, since the problems began at around the same time.

EDIT: i should refrase that, MIVEC willl kick in maybe once every 10-15 attempts.
I'm a sinner, yet forgive me nothing. I'm a heathen, but forever free.

The band yours-truly plays in
www.geocities.com/elysiumsshadow
Dark Fantasy Metal - Demo out soon!
Boris
Oldtimer

Post by Boris »

Well, Jono has a manual.

The only thing i can think of would be... your battery could be providing not enough power because for one it's in the boot, so long distance to travel, and secondly like you say you could of drained it a bit when driving your car hard...

Does this happen when you try and start the car after you haven't touched it for a day or two?

Not too sure about yours pegan... :?
Jono
Mechanic

Post by Jono »

my car starts really well after a few days of not driving it.

the battery should be fine :) .... i can hear the starter motor doing its job well, but its just not kicking over.
Jono
FTO338
Oldtimer

Post by FTO338 »

Check your fuel pressure regulator, your motor might be "flood" with too much petrol after a "sportier" drive.

If not, check your fuel pump.
DISCLAIMER: The above text is the personal opinion of the author and does not represent the indisputable truth. The author is not responsible for any deaths, injuries or mental illness caused by the above statments.
Jono
Mechanic

Post by Jono »

how do u check your fuel pressure regulator?

i have a feeling it will be the fuel pump, cos in 3 or more years , i have not changed it.
Jono
FTO338
Oldtimer

Post by FTO338 »

I know where it is & what it looks like, but i can't tell you how to test it. So its better if you go to a mechanic.

Sorry bro.
DISCLAIMER: The above text is the personal opinion of the author and does not represent the indisputable truth. The author is not responsible for any deaths, injuries or mental illness caused by the above statments.
pagan
Grease Monkey

Post by pagan »

could this "FLOODING" make mivec not kick in???
I'm a sinner, yet forgive me nothing. I'm a heathen, but forever free.

The band yours-truly plays in
www.geocities.com/elysiumsshadow
Dark Fantasy Metal - Demo out soon!
FTO338
Oldtimer

Post by FTO338 »

not that i'm aware of.... :?