poxy ass sound quality!!!

This forum discusses anything to do with your In Car Entertainment requirements such as. Stereo's, TV screens, Speakers, Navigation Systems, etc

Moderators: IMC, Club Staff

paddymac
Apprentice
jedwabna poszewka promocja

poxy ass sound quality!!!

Post by paddymac »

hey guys its pat with another niggling piss me off problem....

ok well as far as i know my car has a fairly decent ice system, two kenwood 500w amps, sub, and pretty sure speakers were changed....( just bought it so not sure)

but im sure the dvd head unit is poxy, and probably where most of my probs r coming from...

the sub only works when prologic is enabled.... so no manual tuning apart from volume....

and when prologic is on, the sound is terrible, background noise is amplified, while main vocals., or speach in movies is nearly non existent....

im baffled never even heard of this prob before...

so anyone with some audio knowledge, or even if u can direct me to the best tried and tested audio technitian, would b much apreciated

thanks guys
FTO338
Oldtimer

Post by FTO338 »

heheheh i sell you mine & problem solve ehhehee
DISCLAIMER: The above text is the personal opinion of the author and does not represent the indisputable truth. The author is not responsible for any deaths, injuries or mental illness caused by the above statments.
FTOluv
Veteran Mechanic

Post by FTOluv »

depends on yr headunit mate. Is it one of those really cheapo ones that u can get from hi fi supermarket?
mrdj1234
Grease Monkey

Re: poxy ass sound quality!!!

Post by mrdj1234 »

paddymac wrote:but im sure the dvd head unit is poxy, and probably where most of my probs r coming from...

the sub only works when prologic is enabled.... so no manual tuning apart from volume....

and when prologic is on, the sound is terrible, background noise is amplified, while main vocals., or speach in movies is nearly non existent....
how is the DVD unit connected to the amps? 5 RCAs, one for each channel or just a pair (L & R) ?

Pro logic mode is partly the decoding to split an embedded audio stream from 2 channels to 5 (+ 1 for the sub)

The biggest problems you're likely to be facing are:
1) you havent' got a 'centre' channel, which is the one where pro logic splits the voices to
2) if your amps are the same power, then the 'atmospheric' stuff that should be on the rear speakers, softly, will be overly loud compared to the front stuff
3) if the head unit is using separate signals for each part (Front, rear and sub) then the sub will only work in pro logic mode

easiest solutions:
1) get a new head unit, one that only has a stereo pair output (just L & R)

or

2) attempt to re-wire the existing one, although that might be difficult, what you'd need to do would be run the L&R (front) RCAs to both amps, and the sub, that _should_ work
paddymac
Apprentice

Post by paddymac »

thanks guys, i think ill get a pro to look at it, but ill let u know how it turns out....