Got a problem with your FTO? ask about it here

Moderators: IMC, Club Staff

hiro
Apprentice
jedwabna poszewka promocja

PLEASE HELP ME ABOUT GEAR BOX

Post by hiro »

I got the problem with my FTO.
2nd,4th,R is not going in to gear it feels all soft and bouces out.
1st,3rd,5th is going in...Would you be able to tell me how to fix it as i dont have any idea about gear box. Thanks. :(
ph3var
Grease Monkey

Post by ph3var »

I will try and explain it but forgive me if parts are named wrong because im not a mechanic and I have not looked at my fto gearbox yet.

On front wheel drive cars (ie motor is east west) the gearbox connects to your gearstick via cables or linkages.
Normally these cables are held into the gearbox or near the gearbox by clips so they dont move around when you change gear.
Normally when you loose the top (1st, 3rd and 5th gear) bank of gears or the bottom (2nd, 4th, Revers) bank of gears it is because the clip for this linkage has fallen off.

I have already suggested that you take it to a mechanic for them to look at and tell them what you think the problem is.
They will be able to check that straight away and fix it as im sure this part should be universal for most lancers and so on.
Custom purple 1995 GPX manual
DIGGIDY
Apprentice

Post by DIGGIDY »

Either the clip have come off as stated above... or another common problem is the bracket itself...

for some strange reason mitsi decided to bond some of the parts together with a rubber joint :? don't ask me why, seems a waste of time and effort to me... anyway these rubber bonds tend to perish over time and tear, thus the backet falls apart and you loose gears... :roll:

anyway check that out also.. :wink:

This is the part in question
hiro
Apprentice

thanks

Post by hiro »

[quote="DIGGIDY"]
would you be able to explain picture to me,how much it will be cost and I can changer my self or not.
Is the part you are talking about under neath the gear stick or is it in the engone bay area? Is it clearly visable?
Thank you^^
astroboi
Apprentice

gear problem

Post by astroboi »

that part illustrated in the picture should be located in the engine bay somewhere near the battery...u actually have to take the battery out and that part should be underneath the plate which holds the batt..

there is also a DIY somewhere around the fto's website which was very good with pics...but i cannot seem to remember where i saw it...

also i had a similar problem before, u might consider it to be a gearbox oil problem, i had it changed before, and it sure made it a lot smoother to drive...

also another possibility that was thrown at me when i was looking into this problem was there could be a synchro problem, this synchro bit kinda brings the revs level to where it is smooth to change gear...therefore, not allowing a smooth transition if stuffed or u might have to rev it a bit before changing gear...

maybe someone else can shed some light on this topic...i am not a mechanic, please correct me if i rem wrongly about what i just said...
RichardH
Grease Monkey

Post by RichardH »

> there is also a DIY somewhere around the fto's website which
> was very good with pics...but i cannot seem to remember where
> i saw it...

Here's that thread... with pics...

http://www.ftowa.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=111

- Rich