SCISSOR DOORS - Expressions of interest wanted NOW!

Bodykits, Interior modifications, Rice Products, anything that is for looks

Moderators: IMC, Club Staff

GPXXX
Oldtimer
jedwabna poszewka promocja

SCISSOR DOORS - Expressions of interest wanted NOW!

Post by GPXXX »

Have you always wanted a lambo-style scissor-door for your FTO?

Well now we can be one step closer towards that dream... (it's still not a convertible or a targa but hey...) I have finally found someone in Sydney who can design and fit the kit for FTOs...

Cost-wise, we will be looking at approx $2500 for the scissor-hinge kit, and if we did a group order we can surely get a much better deal.

However because it is currently not available as a bolt-on kit, he needs a donor car for 1 day for him to design the scissor hinge that will be adapted to the FTO.

So if any of you are in Sydney and are seriously keen in getting the kit done, send me an email or give me a call on my mobile on 0401-136-103 and I will put you in touch with him.

C'mon fellas!!
Theremin
Grease Monkey

Post by Theremin »

It would be a bugger to get out in tight parking spots, wouldn't it? Also I wonder whether an engineer's certicate would be required..?
Rusty12
Grease Monkey

Post by Rusty12 »

Err, it would be easier because the doors only jut out alittle before they go up (don't they)???

I would love to get this done, would be a cool look. Could they use your original doors so there is no need for re-spray etc???
D-TRAIN
Mechanic

Post by D-TRAIN »

$2500 for the driver's door only or for both doors?

Is there a website that we can see their past works or examples?
rxboy
Mechanic

Post by rxboy »

I think Theremin is referring to gullwing doors, or "suicide" doors as they are sometimes referred to. Those would be a bitch for parking. Scissor doors come out slightly and pivot upwards.
MattG
Grease Monkey

Post by MattG »

Gullwing and suicide doors are two different things.

Gullwing have a hinge on the roof of the car so that the door swings outward and up. When both front doors are open it would look like the car had wings like a bird.

Suicide doors are basically normal doors in reverse. Instead of swingin forward they swing backwards. Both the front and back doors open from the middle of the car and swing out towards the ends of the car (sort of like how a side-by-side fridge/freezer opens).

eg

Rear (suicide)
door opens Front door opens
<-------------- -------------->
Back of car Front of car

They are called suicide doors because if the car is moving forward and the door opens a little bit, the resulting air pressure will cause the door to fly all the way open (and the passenger may fall out).
The Mazda RX8 has a type of suicide door - however they have fixed the above problem by making the front door overlan the rear - therefore the rear door cannot open unless the front door is also open.

M@
http://www.forensicdata.com.au
The Data Recovery Experts
GPXXX
Oldtimer

Post by GPXXX »

The kit uses original doors, and the price is for BOTH doors plus fitting.

...and yes, scissor doors are different to gullwing doors because scissor doors only move in vertical motion, not diagonal like gull-wing doors (ie: Sera/Lambo)

I'm not sure if the doors need to be resprayed but IMO i guess you shouldn't have to because all you are doing is removing the current factory hinge and replace it with the scissor hinge kit.

:D:D
Rusty12
Grease Monkey

Post by Rusty12 »

If its so 'simple' why so expensive?

replaceing hinges doesn't sound too hard, and they can't be that expenseive.
MADFTO
Mechanic

Post by MADFTO »

Scissor Doors require a pretty strong hydrolic strut to keep the door up when you open it.

THere are probably other factors, engineering and labour and other crap like that.
G_A_V
Veteran Mechanic

Post by G_A_V »

id love a set too, 2500 is a little pricy though, how trust worthy is this place too ? dont wannabeshowwing off your doors and the fall down and hit your head, or have them fly off at 180kmh
GPXXX
Oldtimer

Post by GPXXX »

well put it this way - considering other kits (catered for Civics/Celicas/GTOs etc) cost nearly 3x as much, i'd say we're getting one helluva good deal...

why so expensive? any custom jobs are bound to be expensive, due to labor costs... I have not seen their workmanship in person before therefore i cannot vouch for their quality or reliability, but he sounds legit though...

Anyways, anybody willing to donor their car for one day so he can design one??
D-TRAIN
Mechanic

Post by D-TRAIN »

Something to whet your appetite :)

Not bad at all...
GPXXX
Oldtimer

Post by GPXXX »

mate, that looks absolutely sensational!!! i wonder where/which kit he/she got it from...

...mmmm, me want a scissor kit now BAD... any donors for the cause?? kekekeke... ;)
MattG
Grease Monkey

Post by MattG »

Hmmm - don't know if I'd be able to open those doors up in my garage in the morning (the doors might hit the roof).

M@
http://www.forensicdata.com.au
The Data Recovery Experts
shwetang

There is a good news

Post by shwetang »

hello ,
i am new to this forum and i think this is a great forum . lots of technical stuff in here ..
well about the vertical door conversion ...
i have been looking into the matter since quiet some time and i have mailed the company that makes the kits for many many maerican model cars . The reply i received was that the kit that they make for the 992 - 95 honda civic would fit the mitsubishi FTO with minor modification which means drilling 2 holes in the kit to match the door hinges .
The cost of the kit is around $ 1400 USD from the company ..
but i think from ebay one must get it for around $1000 USD ..
the name of the company is decah .
these are the 2 websites where u could buy it from ...
www.decah.net
www.carexcess.com/decah.html
Thank you and if anyone plans to get it done then please could you mail me some pictures tooo
lal
Grease Monkey

Post by lal »

sorry to bring this old thread back...
was looking into seeing how much it would cost if i did this and found this thread...
any updates???? this is great stuff... this is something I'd definately want to do... since $2500 is too expensive can we ask the guys who'll fit it what discount we can get... so we can get a more serious answer from ppl thinking about this MARVELOUS look... eg. $2000 for 4 cars?? &$1800 for 7 cars?? etc... :P

since it looks like more ppl have joined this awesome site... maybe there's new ppl who wants to be in on this... like me... :wink:
MintFTO
Apprentice

Post by MintFTO »

Im also interested
HEK-71Q
Grease Monkey

Post by HEK-71Q »

hey that looks awesome!!! i'll be interested but its still kinda pricey...hopefully we can get a lotta ppl to get it done to save heaps...
D-TRAIN
Mechanic

Post by D-TRAIN »

For those with low garage ceilings, what about a kit that looks something like this?

I say bring it on if someone could do this.

BTW, this Koenigsegg is one bad-ass ride! If anyone saw the review on TopGear (BBC), simply unbelievable.
lal
Grease Monkey

Post by lal »

for those who are genuinely interested in this, a friend of mine saw a forum thread in Hot4s in regards to Lambo doors and pointed me to it. I emailed the guy and inquired about the lambo doors for FTO's and he said that it's very possible to do.. up in the Gold Coast for approx $1500-$1700
anyone who lives up that way that wants to investigate??

http://forum.hot4s.com.au/messageview.c ... TARTPAGE=1

his email addy is sircrx@excite.com

keep us posted if anyone is planning to anything about this. :D