SCISSOR DOORS - Expressions of interest wanted NOW!

Bodykits, Interior modifications, Rice Products, anything that is for looks

Moderators: IMC, Club Staff

G_A_V
Veteran Mechanic
jedwabna poszewka promocja

Post by G_A_V »

i want i want!
mmmyum
Apprentice

!!!!!!!!!!

Post by mmmyum »

count me in !!!!!!! DOWN 4 anything NICE N PHAT 4 my baybeee!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
markyboy
Apprentice

Lambo style

Post by markyboy »

I have already ordered my kit and its on its way.I should have it complete before Christmas and will post pics up.I dont think it looks quite right with a car with little or no mods done.You need a car which looks quite mental to pull it all off.Has anyone in OZ did it yet as i am going to go a write up on how its done and be taking measurements along the way... :lol:
G_A_V
Veteran Mechanic

Post by G_A_V »

that'd be great i u could do that, how much u payi n parts ?
markyboy
Apprentice

Scissor doors

Post by markyboy »

The full kit cost me £780 delivered to Scotland.Im just waiting to see if i have any added import tax or handling fees over and above the riginal cost.I still have to pay to get them fitted.The bodyshop need to cut through my sideskirts as they are blended into the front wings ( which need removed ).Once all fitted and lined up the wings go back on and the skirts repaired and painted, but the paint is very expensive over here, so i know its going to cost quite a bit. :cry:
GPXXX
Oldtimer

Post by GPXXX »

can't say i'm surprised by the cost, since you got one helluva nice paintjob there...;)

yeh the price sounds about right... let us know how you go with the kit - is it annoying to use / ergonomically safe? more importantly, does pull the birds?? :)
markyboy
Apprentice

VDC

Post by markyboy »

I dont think the wife would like me answering that last question :wink: I have been told by different people that the kit is high quality and is covered by a garantee.Just hoping that the kit doesnt need to much modification to make it fit.I have the bodyshop on standby just waiting on the kit arriving ( and me getting enough to pay them )and thenthey will set to work.Should have some step by step pics of the full process.Is there already any in OZ? I have saw the picof the red one in Japan but thats the only one i know of--are there more....???? :roll:
GPXXX
Oldtimer

Post by GPXXX »

how cool would it be if you had a kit that can give you the option of opening the doors vertically AND conventionally with a flick of a switch...?? that way it'll save you from hefty fines and costs... with the convenience of scissor-door 'on-demand', hehehehe...!! :D
markyboy
Apprentice

Fines

Post by markyboy »

What heavy fines and costs? Dont say you guys arent allowed to make these mods to your cars....There are a few kits that allow you to open the doors normally or up the way at the press of a button.

Are any of you guys running NOS like i am.Im running a wet system with 100 shots, anybody managed to put more than 100 shots into their car.
GPXXX
Oldtimer

Re: Fines

Post by GPXXX »

markyboy wrote:What heavy fines and costs? Dont say you guys arent allowed to make these mods to your cars....There are a few kits that allow you to open the doors normally or up the way at the press of a button.

Are any of you guys running NOS like i am.Im running a wet system with 100 shots, anybody managed to put more than 100 shots into their car.
i believe the doors may be illegal if there are no engineering certificates to prove that the scissor-door mods are safe (the door forms part of the safety cage afterall).

i have enquired about those scissor kits that you speak of, and apparently those electronically-controlled and hydraulically-actuated kits are something like AUD$8k + installation (even more with remote control)!!

As for NOS, well if the bottle is hooked up (although not necesarily armed) whilst driving then yes it is highly illegal.
markyboy
Apprentice

Post by markyboy »

You could argue that the scissor type doors is just an alternative style of hindge.The door stays the same, you just change the hindge.The shell keeps its original rigidity.The same closing mechanism is employed as is the locks.The door will open aprox 10" the exact same as any other FTO door does and after that then it goes up.

I can understand the NOS situation.NOS over here is illegal if not showing a green warning label for compressed gas.Its vey contraversial at the moment but the main point over here is that the insurance companies still wont insure you or hike up the premium if you mention the laughing gas to them, so most people dont tell the insurance about it.This them makes your insurance void, and if you cause an accident then you are in big trouble.

So has anyone done the vertical doors in OZ yet or anyone running allot of NOS...
D-TRAIN
Mechanic

Post by D-TRAIN »

Was at the Sydney auto salon yesterday and saw a couple of cars with scissor doors, non-FTOs though. Same deal with NOS. But not sure if they were for show or actually connected.
GPXXX
Oldtimer

Post by GPXXX »

markyboy wrote:You could argue that the scissor type doors is just an alternative style of hindge.The door stays the same, you just change the hindge.The shell keeps its original rigidity.The same closing mechanism is employed as is the locks.The door will open aprox 10" the exact same as any other FTO door does and after that then it goes up.
as with anything, if the cops pull you over for suspicious mods, they will require an engineer's certificate to ensure that it is ADR approved for safety reasons...
markyboy wrote:So has anyone done the vertical doors in OZ yet or anyone running allot of NOS...
there was one or two members in Oz who ran NOS in their FTOs, but not sure about scissor door conversions that I know of... (of course, somebody might already be completing the finishing touches on their new scissor-door conversion as i type!)
markyboy
Apprentice

Lambo doors

Post by markyboy »

My scissor door kit arived today, although i wasnt there to pick it up so it is getting re-delivered again tomorrow.Will let you guys know how i get on with it.Hoping to have them fitted in the next few weeks... :lol:
G_A_V
Veteran Mechanic

Post by G_A_V »

what kit did u order ?? how much ?? who is fitting it ??
D-TRAIN
Mechanic

Post by D-TRAIN »

Gav, I think Markyboy is from the UK. Why don't you try to source one locally?
markyboy
Apprentice

scissor doors

Post by markyboy »

Picked my kit up today.First impressins are--very well made with the metal coated against rust etc, smooth mechanism, very comprehensive kit with even cable ties and loom extensions, very very heavy brackets and poor fitting instructions.Went to the bodyshop and have shown them it and they say its no problem adapting it to fit my car.Rather than adapt the kit to the car, the car will be adpted to the kit-this keeps the kit under warranty.Booked the car in on the 1/12 to get the work done....Pics shuld follow soon...
HEK-71Q
Grease Monkey

Post by HEK-71Q »

cant wait to see the pics man!
Robb
Grease Monkey

Post by Robb »

D-TRAIN wrote:Something to whet your appetite :)

Not bad at all...
Hey D-Train that shot of the red FTO with the scissor doors was shot in Japan from an FTO day over there I posted the pic a while back in the yahoogroups mailing list.... As soon as l get out of my financial hole that l'm in l will be definately getting scissor doors for my FTO even if l have to take my car half way around australia to do it...

Robb...
markyboy
Apprentice

Vertical doors

Post by markyboy »

Robb--why treck halfway across Australia.Surely someone close could do it for you.In reality its a bit more difficult due to the kit not being actually for an FTO, but should be ok for most half decent bodyshops to do.What kit were you thinking of getting.