Picky CD player

This forum discusses anything to do with your In Car Entertainment requirements such as. Stereo's, TV screens, Speakers, Navigation Systems, etc

Moderators: IMC, Club Staff

Supplanter
Forum Moderator
jedwabna poszewka promocja

Picky CD player

Post by Supplanter »

I have a JVC double DIN CD/tape player in my car that has decided not to play my CDs anymore.

It sounds like the laser pickup is trying to find data on the CD so it can play, but ends up spitting the CD back out.

Sometimes it plays CDs straight away, sometimes it takes several minutes of "searching" the CD before it starts playing.

I have tried cleaning the CD lens with a cleaning disc, and have also cleaned some of the CDs that it doesn't like but nothing seems to work :(

Any suggestions?
LED ALL the things.
Dr_Jones
Veteran Mechanic

Post by Dr_Jones »

Probably nothing much you can do other than get it serviced somewhere. Are the CD's your playing original or burnt ones?
FTOluv
Veteran Mechanic

Post by FTOluv »

if u really want to keep the deck u can always have it fixed but it will cost u. The best thing to do is to buy a brand new deck. Go for either an Alpine, Clarion, Pioneer or Blaupunkt.
Supplanter
Forum Moderator

Post by Supplanter »

Dr_Jones wrote:Probably nothing much you can do other than get it serviced somewhere. Are the CD's your playing original or burnt ones?
All original CDs, ranging anywhere from 2 months to 10 years old.

And getting a new unit is out of the question due to money issues :roll:
LED ALL the things.
Luca
Grease Monkey

Post by Luca »

Bummer ... thats the problem with players they never last. Same goes for drives in PCs they just don't last.

... And you can't just replace the heads like on a turntable. ...lol, imagine that, turntable in an FTO ...hahah

As for buying a new one ... I had a JVC stereo from Japan when I bought mine. When I went to upgrade, I couldn't replace the head unit without the stacker unless I bought another JVC, because they all use propriatory plugs which are more offen than not incompatible. Seems to be the case for Sony, Pioneer and JVC at least.

But from what I've heard fixing them costs as much as getting a new one. Certainly worth asking though.