Twin Exhaust

General Questions and comments

Moderators: IMC, Club Staff

ROBiiE
jedwabna poszewka promocja

Twin Exhaust

Post by ROBiiE »

Hey everyone,

Has anyone thought about putting a "true" dual exhaust (not just twin-tipped muffler) on their FTO, ie. two pipes, two cats, etc.... I like the look of the twin-tip look on either side of the car and I'm sure a muffler can easily be manufactured to look like it, but I'm wondering if there are any benefits in an actual dual system?

Has anyone done this already to their FTO? What gains are expected over a single exhaust system? I know it will probably cost big $$$ (around $2000 maybe).

Cheers
Rob
dannyboyau
Veteran Mechanic

Post by dannyboyau »

i have discussed this with some guys who are very experianced in making modifications to cars to increase there power and their thoughts were that it wouldnt be any better than a good after market exhaust as far as performance, but it would look good
MattG
Grease Monkey

Post by MattG »

I know at least one member (possibly 2?) have already done this.
Somebody has an avatar of a picture of their car from the rear with the twin exhaust pipes on both sides of the car.
Some other makes/models of cars come like this as standard, so yes it is possible.

Any exhaust manufacturer should be able to make one up for you. Make sure they can do mandrel bending and can make up brackets etc to fit your vehicle.

I guess there are two possble ways to do this.
1. Run two straight pipes from each side of the engine out the to the back of the car (don't know if any other parts may get in the way of this though).

2. The two engine headers/extractors run down under the car to form one pipe (as is currently the case), this then goes into one muffler. Two exhaust pipes then run out from the muffler (left and right side).
eg http://www.millemiglia.com.au/

Also you have to remember that it will add more weight to the vehicle, unless of course the exhaust was extremely lightweight (eg titanium).

Try calling
Hitech Mufflers
http://www.hitechmufflers.com.au/contact.html

Or

Liverpool Exhausts
http://www.liverpoolexhaust.com.au/contactus.htm

M@
http://www.forensicdata.com.au
The Data Recovery Experts
ROBiiE

Post by ROBiiE »

Yep, I think you are talking about G1. G1, is yours a twin exhaust system or just twin tips on either side coming out of the muffler?

I have contacted Liverpool Exhausts but no response from them yet. I sent them an e-mail. I might visit them and Hi-Tech probably next weekend to find out more info about it. If there is no power gain in the dual exhaust over a single system then I'd probably do the twin tips coming out of the muffler. Which also means modification of the back bar. More $$$ :)

Cheers guys
Rob
elmo
Grease Monkey

exhausts

Post by elmo »

I'm gettin a veilside rear bar for mine that has holes/slots on both sides for the pipes, so it wont look right unless I get a twin exhaust. Already got twin tipped system and gives good noise and power, thought it was standard for gpx though, might have to take a closer look...

As for what I'm gettin... Will go from the RPW extractors to a single cat and then split into two pipes with seperate mufflers and 1 or two crossover pipes for balance and to get the right burble. Might even go for twin tips if they look ok.

Will go for whatever size pipe the shop reccomends.
Been told that if you reduce the backpressure on a NA car too much you move the torque higher up in the revrange. Put a 2 inch system on my suzuki sierra and now the frker doesn't get goin to 6200rpm, which is 2000 revs higher then normal.
Can be compensated by advancing the cam but not too keen on that, specially with my FTO.

Guess it really depends on what mods you got and plan to get in the future. If your gonna pump heaps of air through with a blower or turbo then your gonna need free flowin but NA need back pressure to work, just not too much.
G1
Mechanic

Post by G1 »

Mine is twin coming out of each side of the muffler, EXC the gal with the turbo fto in SA also had done a similar thing, but i dunno whether hers was 2 separate exhausts or like mine.

check out my web link on page 2, i have taken detailed pics.
ROBiiE wrote:Yep, I think you are talking about G1. G1, is yours a twin exhaust system or just twin tips on either side coming out of the muffler?

I have contacted Liverpool Exhausts but no response from them yet. I sent them an e-mail. I might visit them and Hi-Tech probably next weekend to find out more info about it. If there is no power gain in the dual exhaust over a single system then I'd probably do the twin tips coming out of the muffler. Which also means modification of the back bar. More $$$ :)

Cheers guys
Rob
ROBiiE

Post by ROBiiE »

Very nice pics G1! Thanx for that. Looks awesome!!

I think thats what I would go with, ie. two exhaust pipes coming out of the one muffler. Seems to be the least hassle with no compromise.

elmo, I wonder if there is enough room under there to put two separate mufflers? I will also be ordering a set of RPW extractors and visiting Liverpool Exhausts very soon :)
G1
Mechanic

Post by G1 »

hey robiie, how did you go with the rpw extractors?

any comments?
Cohn
Grease Monkey

Jiwan

Post by Cohn »

Hey G1, your current car looks great, very classy touches.

But it actually hurts me to see photo's of destroyed or KIA'ed FTO's :( . FTO lovers should not be able to see that site, it should be R rated or something.

Anyways, on the more serious side of things, just wanted to know how much it cost you to get the cream leather trim?, (for front and back, and individually if possible) It looks bloody good. I wouldn't mind doing something of that taste on my new baby...
ROBiiE

Post by ROBiiE »

Hey G1,

I haven't got the RPW extractors yet. I was speaking to a friend of mine in Adelaide who works for an exhaust shop, and he said if I go through him I might be able to get it a bit cheaper like trade price or soemthing. He is overseas for the next 2 mths and when he comes back he said he will look into it for me. I might even make a trip to Adelaide to visit friends I have there and get him to do the exhaust as well. A long way to go for an exhaust but that wouldn't be my main reason for going :)
G1
Mechanic

Post by G1 »

yeah?? good stuff, can you let me know when you find out how much you will get it for? i might be interested in them after 2 months (hopefully i will have the money saved up by then)
G1
Mechanic

Re: Jiwan

Post by G1 »

Cohn wrote:Hey G1, your current car looks great, very classy touches.

But it actually hurts me to see photo's of destroyed or KIA'ed FTO's :( . FTO lovers should not be able to see that site, it should be R rated or something.

Anyways, on the more serious side of things, just wanted to know how much it cost you to get the cream leather trim?, (for front and back, and individually if possible) It looks bloody good. I wouldn't mind doing something of that taste on my new baby...
cohn,

unfortunately that leather re-trim was on my car when i bought it. are your ready to spend 4000-5000$ for it though? talk to foulz he can help you i think. :wink:
ROBiiE

Post by ROBiiE »

No problem G1, I will let you know when I find out.
Cheers