Soft grinding sound comming from steering wheel when turning

Got a problem with your FTO? ask about it here

Moderators: IMC, Club Staff

Anubis
Grease Monkey
jedwabna poszewka promocja

Soft grinding sound comming from steering wheel when turning

Post by Anubis »

Hey guys just thought I would post this before I bring the car to the mechanics. Im getting this soft grinding sound coming from the steering wheel when turning. Its really pissing me off! =/. Anyone have any ideas? Thanks!
Bennoz
National President

Post by Bennoz »

Check your power steering fluid level - in the engine bay, just near the drivers side headlight.
FTO338
Oldtimer

Post by FTO338 »

Have you got standard wheels are larger size aftermarket wheels? Wheels as in rims, not steering wheels :D
DISCLAIMER: The above text is the personal opinion of the author and does not represent the indisputable truth. The author is not responsible for any deaths, injuries or mental illness caused by the above statments.
Digital_Import
Apprentice

Post by Digital_Import »

im from gong too, what FTO u drive anubis so i can keep a look out if i see ya round? i get a funny grinding noise when i put the steering wheel all the way to the right.
ph3var
Grease Monkey

Post by ph3var »

Not sure of the FTO setup for the steering wheel but sometimes the horn mechanism can make this sound in other cars.
Custom purple 1995 GPX manual
Anubis
Grease Monkey

Post by Anubis »

Bennoz: Already checked power steering level and its fine.

ph3var: Ill check the horn as it has an after market steering wheel. Hoping thats the prob. Do just take the wheel off or? Im really new to this stuff =/.

FTO338: I have 18's and its lowered.

Digital_Import: I drive a black FTO with stickers and sh*t on it. All rice'd up ahahah.
Anubis
Grease Monkey

Post by Anubis »

Hows your FTO look Digital_Import?
Bennoz
National President

Post by Bennoz »

Anubis wrote:Bennoz: Already checked power steering level and its fine.

ph3var: Ill check the horn as it has an after market steering wheel. Hoping thats the prob. Do just take the wheel off or? Im really new to this stuff =/.

FTO338: I have 18's and its lowered.

Digital_Import: I drive a black FTO with stickers and sh*t on it. All rice'd up ahahah.
Thats not a bad point about the aftermarket wheel...
Just behind the boss kit is where the brass horn contact meets the horn contact plate on the boss - its suposed to be lubricated with a little grease...
if it aint, it'll make noise. You'd have to take the wheel off to check. Once the horn caps off, you gotta undo the big bastard nut (17mm from memory) at the centre of the wheel. Then pull like crazy.
Anubis
Grease Monkey

Post by Anubis »

Thanks bennoz I'll give that a go on the weekend.

Should the horn button be loose?
Bennoz
National President

Post by Bennoz »

Shouldn't be...
What brand wheel is it?
Some horn buttons are a tight plastic fit, others screw into the wheel.
You can always bodge something up! :D
Digital_Import
Apprentice

Post by Digital_Import »

Anubis wrote:Hows your FTO look Digital_Import?
Its a ricer too :P navy blue colour, full veilside body kit carbon fibre bonnet FTO-113 apexi ralliart stickers, i seen a few black fto's in gong, one with bite me sticker on side, umm another one always parks out front of Godfreys dry cleaning, seen a full done up black one come up beside me one nite on Gladstone ave turning on crown st which probably was u :P
Anubis
Grease Monkey

Post by Anubis »

Bennoz wrote:Shouldn't be...
What brand wheel is it?
Some horn buttons are a tight plastic fit, others screw into the wheel.
You can always bodge something up! :D
Momo. I just took the cover off last night and saw the horn button was not even secure. I had to take a wire out from the horn last night as yesturday the horn was going off by itself. I think it was a dodgy install from the past owner.

The sound is pretty much gone now although still there when I almost lock the wheel in one direction. Im thinking its just the wiring getting in the way thats making this sound.
Digital_Import wrote:Its a ricer too navy blue colour, full veilside body kit carbon fibre bonnet FTO-113 apexi ralliart stickers, i seen a few black fto's in gong, one with bite me sticker on side, umm another one always parks out front of Godfreys dry cleaning, seen a full done up black one come up beside me one nite on Gladstone ave turning on crown st which probably was u
Yeh probably me! I also saw your car at esen kebabs one night and you hit it down gladstone ave as you were taking off. Looks hot dude and I want your bonnet! Maybe we can go for a night cruise up to kiama together... nice roads, no traffic, hella fun!
Ther
Grease Monkey

Post by Ther »

i'm getting the same noise but i don't have aftermarket parts... it happens after a while of driving..sounds like a very metallic grinding noise...
Bennoz
National President

Post by Bennoz »

Stock wheels have the same horn contact setup... maybe outta lube too...
Ther
Grease Monkey

Post by Ther »

so you reckon its the horn contact...its a killer noise mate..happens at times when i accelerate on a slant...but not all the time...
i really hope thats the case...rather that than something else
but i'm not so sure that the noise comes from the steering wheel area... : (