heya...im new!

General Questions and comments

Moderators: IMC, Club Staff

DSL03L
jedwabna poszewka promocja

heya...im new!

Post by DSL03L »

Heya everyone,
I own a modded magna and have always loved the shape n style of the FTOs. I will be after a new car in about 6months and its either a newer magna or an FTO.
Just wondering what they r like to dirve? i was after the GPX (tip-tronic).
so me n d gf can drive it.
N wondering what to look out for etc.
thanx
MattG
Grease Monkey

Post by MattG »

Hi welcome to the Fourms.

Being an imported sports car, insurance on the FTO can be quite pricey (depending on your details of course).

As for what the car is like to drive....I guess you will just have to get down to a dealer and take one for a test drive.

I guess the first thing that you notice when driving the car is how wide the side pillars are and how little vision out the rear window you have compared to larger cars. These you will get used to quite quickly.

The car does nont really get going until you hit 4500-5000RPM. The car will happilly rev all the way up to about 8200RPM when the rev limiter kicks in. If the car is cold you may not be able to rev above 6000RPM - this is quite normal and is a feature of the engine management. Once the engine is at a normal temperature the engine will quite happily rev all the way. The sport shift mode on the tiptronic transmission will happily let you get to about 60-70Km'h in first gear before you hit the limiter.

The car handles really well, it has great balance.

Things to look out for:
1. Check with the dealer/importer about the Japanese Acution certificate of the vehicle. The Japanese auctions grade each vehicle from 1-10, with 1 being really poor quality and 10 being brand new. Many "good" FTO's in australia are at least a grade 4 or above. Some of the cheaper FTOs you see for sale were only imported as a grade 3 or 3.5 and have therefore suffered a bit of damage to the vehicle (even though the dealer may have fixed this).

2. Get a 3rd party eg NRMA/ RACQ/RACV etc to do a vehicle inspection. Some dealers have already have this done and have the report sitting in the car for you to view, or you can ask to view them.

3. From the problems that I have seen in the forums, there are no major problems being reported regularly. Some of the more common minor problems include central locking sometimes dies, small car battery (leaving the interior lights on for an hour or two will drain it), the UK website have reported about front disc warping although I have not seen anybody in Aus report this.

M@
http://www.forensicdata.com.au
The Data Recovery Experts
dannyboyau
Veteran Mechanic

Post by dannyboyau »

I can report that i have warped the front discs on mine but that was under heavy breaking at high speed, and you just need to get them skimmed and every thing is back to normal
rxboy
Mechanic

Post by rxboy »

my front discs were warped as well, but I got them fixed up in no time.