half decent bugdet system?!?

This forum discusses anything to do with your In Car Entertainment requirements such as. Stereo's, TV screens, Speakers, Navigation Systems, etc

Moderators: IMC, Club Staff

shue
Oldtimer
jedwabna poszewka promocja

half decent bugdet system?!?

Post by shue »

hey ok. im not really sure what to get. at the moment the cars got a jvc head unit and a 12 cd changer with 6*9 at the rear and 6 in front. the speakers are busted . i want to get a new head unit, keep the changer, put maybe 1 or 2 subbies at the back, 1 amp and splits front and rear. im not sure what kinda specs to look for, considering im on a budget of say a grand for the head unit +amp+ subbies+ speakers. i'd probably go second hand for the speakers etc. the head unit im looking at is the jvc KD-G515 heres the link for the specs
http://www.jvc-australia.com/products/_ ... sp?ID=1392
the head unit is 270$ so that leaves me with 730$ for the rest. not a lot of money.
what kind of amp would i have to get if i want to run everything off 1 amp?
would having splits front and rear be a good idea?
and what brands should i look at considering my budget, something thats good and not too expensive
EURO
Oldtimer

Post by EURO »

You might be better to work in stages?
e.g. for $1000 I dont think your going to get anything very decent? Maybe leaves the subs for now etc and look at just getting an amp and head unit for example or head unit and speakers... then get the rest when you can afford too....

there is heaps of posts in the ice section for this, guys asking the exact same question... have a read through - second hand could be the way to go as well as car audio doesnt have good resale...
FTOluv
Veteran Mechanic

Post by FTOluv »

do yrself a favour and dont buy the JVC. :roll:
Go with a Clarion, Pioneer, Alpine, Blaupunkt. This will ensure good sound quality, reliability and extra features.
Best thing to do is get a new deck, front splits and 6x9s for rears and amp. remember u still need some money for decent cabling.
You might be better to work in stages?
that is a good idea, thats why u should leave the sub and the second amp for later on.

I can get u all the products that i just mentioned for approx $1K. All Blaupunkt products as well, brand new with warranty.
PM me if yr interested.

- MiL
devil2004
Grease Monkey

Post by devil2004 »

If you want to go budget, I suggest you scrap the 6x9 and spend a bit more your splits as your not gonna feel the 6x9's too much because the bass from your sub will cover most of the sound coming out from your 6x9's. So I would either take out the current 6x9 and allow the air to flow more freely from the sub or leave the stock ones in there and run them off your head unit.

It's good to stick to a JVC unit if you wanna keep the CD stacker because most CD stackers are only compatible with a headunit of the same brand.

A 10" or 12" sub in a box will cost you around $150-$170. I think I saw a 12" pioneer in a box at JB-HIFI for $169. :roll:

As for splits, you can pick up a set of Pioneer TS-C160R for $280 off ebay which in my opinion isn't the BEST set of splits you can get but they are pretty good for their price.

Does anyone have any suggestions for amps? I'm a big fan of kicker amps but I think they'll be too expensive for your budget. I've found audioline to be not a bad brand for budget sustems. There's one 4 channel on e-bay at the moment which will probably sell for a little over $100.
http://cgi.ebay.com.au/AUDIOLINE-Power- ... dZViewItem
Connect your splits to 2 channels and bridge the other 2 for your sub.

That should leave you $180 to spend on either installation (usually around $200), better amp or a pair of 6x9.

So in total you've spent:
headunit $270
sub $170
splits $280
amp $100
installation $180
shue
Oldtimer

Post by shue »

would the cd changer work with the blupunkt head unit? and wont the 6*9's sound crap once i get the sub in? thats y i tought splits front and back
devil2004
Grease Monkey

Post by devil2004 »

Best thing to do is get a new deck, front splits and 6x9s for rears and amp. remember u still need some money for decent cabling.
What FTOluv said is true aswell. If you get a good deck, some good splits, 6x9s and a good amp, you'll get a very nice sound.

I've got both my splits and 6x9's running off an amp and when I go to golf, I take out my sub (golf clubs done fit with sub box in there). Usually when I do this I just turn on loud (on low level) and my friends can't even tell I took out my sub :lol:
FTOluv
Veteran Mechanic

Post by FTOluv »

trust me, dont keep the JVC unit, it will only cause u grief in the future.
as for the sub, u dont really need one if u have 6 x 9s and an amp.
The system i can hook u up with will not only sound crystal but also will have nice bass. :)
devil2004
Grease Monkey

Post by devil2004 »

6x9 splits are really rare, I've only seen a couple of manufactuers make them. You don't really need splits for the rear because the 6x9s are mounted high in the rear parcel shelf.

6x9s will give you some bass but not as much as a subwoofer. It depends on what you listen to and how you like your music. If you like your music to be crystal clear then go for the 6x9 but if you like a lot of bass then get a sub.
d_stroy_r
Mechanic

Post by d_stroy_r »

devil2004 wrote:There's one 4 channel on e-bay at the moment which will probably sell for a little over $100.
http://cgi.ebay.com.au/AUDIOLINE-Power- ... dZViewItem
Connect your splits to 2 channels and bridge the other 2 for your sub.
I wouldn't get that amp.

It looks like the crappy amps you get from strathfield.

I always go for the better brands, which would take a little longer to get rather than getting all crap brands at once.
scarecrow
Veteran Mechanic

Post by scarecrow »

Do you have Jaycar electronics down in melbourne? I assume so. Anyway they make the best value for money components. Top quality stuff, without the useless frills/brands attached.

Don't even think of going cheap brand name (ie. low range sony speakers or something) ... go jaycar unless you wanna shell out the big bucks and do a real proper install in which case you'll need that 730bux for a battery and front splits, but thats as far as you'll get.
scarecrow
Veteran Mechanic

Post by scarecrow »

frozenwaffles
Grease Monkey

Post by frozenwaffles »

i think this is really quite simple, but then again this is just my opinion...
if you want cheap but relativly good, then go for sony. they are tops for a budget. if you want fantastic for respectable money, then go for alpine!
i put in alpine and i am so happy, system just rocks!
khunjeng
Oldtimer

Post by khunjeng »

I'm down with scarecrow persopnally. Looking at the freq. response and sensitivity of the Jayar models they are decent...esp. for the money...I have made souround sound systems for my DVD player with jaycar kits...with 3 x 6" drivers...tuned ports etc and they definately rock.. I have tested these (blind test) against my friends 10k system...he couldn't tell they difference when played bad boys 2 in that scene where all the cars and flying around and Will Smith is in his Ferrari!

Point being their car systems are very decent...Next weekend I will be installing the 6.5" + Twiter split system into my FTO...then my sound will rock.

btw although I can't find the link..the jaycar speakers have a better and flatter freq response than that of the bigger brand name speakers i have seen data for..and there is not much data about...why??? becuase you start comparing apples with apples...although I have seen data for some decent Alpine speakers and they were really good also...it comes down to a cost vs performance trade-off and rememering that its in a car...not ideal for excellent sound.

my 2 cents...I'm sure some1 will not agree :P
FTO338
Oldtimer

Post by FTO338 »

My opinion on Sony....hmmm they are so good, I gave my near new set away for free, as I don't want to rip anyone off :?

But u definately can't go wrong with Alpine. :D
DISCLAIMER: The above text is the personal opinion of the author and does not represent the indisputable truth. The author is not responsible for any deaths, injuries or mental illness caused by the above statments.
d_stroy_r
Mechanic

Post by d_stroy_r »

We done my mates car stereo with a pretty good budget.

JVC deck- $219 (MP3/WMA)- 50X4
clarion splits- $129- 40wrms
Pioneer amp and sub package- $299 inc 350rms sub 2 channel 150wrms amp and wires.

Total: $649 inc fitting

The splits are awesome and the sub and amp package is always good from pioneer.

Even the deck was surprising and looks a lot more than it is.

At the end of the day you can get a pretty good package for under a grand.
NorthQLDFTO
Grease Monkey

Post by NorthQLDFTO »

I guess this depends on how quickly you want your system installed... I have been planning my audio system since I bought my FTO (nearly 1 year ago)... I plan on having the audio system as one of the last jobs done, it means putting up with very average music for awhile but the end result will be worth it...

The benefit of deciding what I wanted early is that I have kept a close eye on the car audio stores around town & whenever they have a sale (birthday/xmas/new year/financial end of year/brand name sale) I drop in and grab the components at much cheaper prices... And I've even run back and forth between a few stores haggling with them over prices... This has paid off VERY well... I have managed to buy my whole system over a near 12 month period for *HEAPS* less than purchasing it all at once right before installation... All I have to worry about now is the cost of the install + cabling etc...

So if you're willing to wait this is a very good way of saving money on your system... :wink:
If I Had A Dollar For Every Time Someone Said "If I Had A Dollar For Every Time Someone Said <...>" Well... Then... I'd... Have A Dollar For Every Time Somone Said "If I Had A Dollar For Every Time Someone Said <...>"!!!
khunjeng
Oldtimer

Post by khunjeng »

car installs are pretty simple..I've done it a number of times on a few fords, saabs and toyota...have to say the FTO was about the same...

I was suprised to find there are speakers on the dash...I didn't even know lol until I pulled off the covers this afternoon...best bit was they were wired in parallel mith my door speakers and the impedence screwed...and sounded wrong...unplug...sounds awsome and suddenly I have a decent amount of power through my front drivers...about to replace with decent splits...however this can wait until next weekend cos I have nowhere to mount the crossovers...yet

Oh yeah thats my point.. get good cross-overs! after all if this is correct your speakers will perform they way they have been designed..

One other thing..for everyone with an AMP..does the car explode when you pump it up>> I don't use an amp and its already too loud...mind u I havn't got a sub..
cb
Grease Monkey

Post by cb »

d_stroy_r wrote:We done my mates car stereo with a pretty good budget.

JVC deck- $219 (MP3/WMA)- 50X4
clarion splits- $129- 40wrms
Pioneer amp and sub package- $299 inc 350rms sub 2 channel 150wrms amp and wires.

Total: $649 inc fitting

The splits are awesome and the sub and amp package is always good from pioneer.

Even the deck was surprising and looks a lot more than it is.

At the end of the day you can get a pretty good package for under a grand.

hmm sounds quite similar to my set up 8)
d_stroy_r
Mechanic

Post by d_stroy_r »

Initially we were going to go for everything from pioneer but it would have costed too much.

The system sounds awesome.

What setup have you got?
cb
Grease Monkey

Post by cb »

I got clarion splits upfront
Pioneer 800w Monoblock amp
Pioneer 1000w 12" Sub
runnin of an xplod mp3 player headunit.