Cruises, Meeting's and State Specific Information

Moderators: IMC, Club Staff

lanyon
Apprentice
jedwabna poszewka promocja

FTO ECU problems

Post by lanyon »

hey guys,
Ive got an 95 auto gpx which a couple of days ago started to flash the battery symbol at me. So i took it down to the local stereo place to get an optima battery installed, which intern caused greater problems. Replacing the battery obviously reset the comp which had problems finding its base idle again. i took it for a spin and the thing wouldn't get out of the 3rd and neutral kept flashing at me. I had read about this before and knew it was in the limp home mode which is only 3rd gear. Finally got it to a auto elect that day, they said it was most likely the regulator in the alternator which had gone. So they pulled it apart and fixed that, which inturn was actually gone. $385 later i took it for a test drive to see if it had fixed the problem. the damn thing wouldnt idle still, it turned out the stereo place must have srewed in the idle sensor screw( not happy). After fixing that prob it idled fine. Now what happens is the car will stay in 1st gear till it revs up to about 5000rpm and then it will slam into 3rd and the limp home mode. The shop has run there diagnostic test on it and they beleive its the comp that handles the auto trasmission.

If anyone can help at all with this problem id be very appreciative

Thanks
Mick lanyon.
FTOluv
Veteran Mechanic

Post by FTOluv »

do an error code test check first to see what error the ECU is giving.
lanyon
Apprentice

the verdict

Post by lanyon »

The auto elec has come to the conclusion that both the input and output speed sensors are working fine its the computer that they communicate with that its the problem :cry: . So its being sent off to be fixed, thats if it can be fixed.

Does anyone know of a wreckers or a parts place where i could possibly get my hands on one of these????????????

PS why does stuff like this always happen just when ive got enough dough to lower the thing????
mxysxy
Oldtimer

Re: the verdict

Post by mxysxy »

lanyon wrote:The auto elec has come to the conclusion that both the input and output speed sensors are working fine its the computer that they communicate with that its the problem :cry: . So its being sent off to be fixed, thats if it can be fixed.
Where did they sent your ECU to be checked?
lanyon
Apprentice

back in action

Post by lanyon »

All good now turns out the stereo store drilled through the wire to the sensor causing a short. Lost the car for a week but at least the stereo place picked up the bill of $400 pretty good of them.
FTOluv
Veteran Mechanic

Post by FTOluv »

What was the name of the stereo shop??
lanyon
Apprentice

Post by lanyon »

GL pro sound, just a small mishap , ive been going to them for years and they always do a profesional job. Since they picked up the bill ill continue to go there very honest of them :wink:
FTOluv
Veteran Mechanic

Post by FTOluv »

GL Pro Sound?? Im suprised that they did something like that. :?

They must of given it to a trainee to do :P
lanyon
Apprentice

Post by lanyon »

lol actually it was the trainee who did it, I still trust em though. Im getting them to do my whole boot intall soon, taken almost a years to build up all the gear for it. Cars gettin lowerd this week to take the load in the boot then its all going in . :D