Registering car in SA from interstate

Cruises, Meeting's and State Specific Information

Moderators: IMC, Club Staff

testlabmonkey
Grease Monkey
jedwabna poszewka promocja

Registering car in SA from interstate

Post by testlabmonkey »

Has anyone here had much experience bringing a car in from interstate? Getting it through Transport SA with body kit, exhausts etc etc?

Looking to eastern states to get a car because there are so few over here.
Bennoz
National President

Post by Bennoz »

Yeah, I had a friend use these guys with no prob:
http://vanlines.com.au/domestic/services.htm
testlabmonkey
Grease Monkey

Post by testlabmonkey »

ahh i was probably going to drive it back but was wondering if anyone had any problems getting the car registered in SA... ie having the car defected. etc etc.
mrx
Veteran Mechanic

Post by mrx »

Hop not - rego is due next week and going to have to change over. Difference is though, that I already owned the car, so apparently that makes a difference.

They can make things very difficult for you to register cars purchased from interstate by all accounts. My advice - as difficult as it may be - purchase a car that is not too modified, as it will mean fewer potential problems for you.

Intake is the obvious one, as is loud exhausts. The only good thing is, there are not that many around, and nobody knows anything about them, so they don't really know what to look for!

Best of luck...
testlabmonkey
Grease Monkey

Post by testlabmonkey »

yeah im getting really paranoid about it... i have these nightmares of buying a car then having to spend all this money on it to 'unmodifiy' it just so i can drive it round.

Ill try and stick to interior mods as there doesnt seem to be many restrictions in this area... ill just have to fork out the extra cash to modify what i want.
mrx
Veteran Mechanic

Post by mrx »

This will prpbably be the easier way of going.

Depends on what you are after I suppose.

Auto or manual? GPX? Sunroof etc etc? Also, what $$ are you looking at?

There are some nice looking FTO's in car yards that I have seen, but unsure how much they want for them.

And if you need a hand looking around (Adelaide), just let me know.
testlabmonkey
Grease Monkey

Post by testlabmonkey »

Looking for a Black, Dark Blue or Silver manual (picky aren't I... I know).

I have a $15K upper limit and I'm basically looking for the newest and best condition FTO i can get for the money with mags that I like. I dont really want a car that needs work. If its already registered in SA then mods arent really a problem but interstate cars would have to be clearly road worthy. I do have my eye on a few cars interstate but not going to action anything interstate for a couple more weeks.

I have taken a look at the only 2 manual FTOs that have been in adelaide over the past month and both were in pretty poor condition clearly owned by people who didnt care too much about the cars. If anyone else knows of an FTO that fits into my requirements I have the money ready to go..... just need the car but I am willing to wait for the price that I want also. Not going to rush into a sale just because I want one right now :P.