HELP POWER VOLTAGE

This forum discusses anything to do with your In Car Entertainment requirements such as. Stereo's, TV screens, Speakers, Navigation Systems, etc

Moderators: IMC, Club Staff

akuma3
Oldtimer
jedwabna poszewka promocja

HELP POWER VOLTAGE

Post by akuma3 »

I notice no one read my old post anymore so i post another one :(

Currently using:

Sony MP3/VCD Header 50W
MTX 12"
Clarion 640W should be a 2 way
JL splitz front, Sony explode 6X9 rear

Everytime my sub hits hard, the voltage meter needle shows drag lota power from it, if i use my old boss amp just to run the rear speakers, header for splitz and amp for pure bass would that reduce the power drain or even worst?

Or what's the best way to set it up now to fix the sub power & power usage? I was thinking of putting earth wire too, would that help? 8O
devil2004
Grease Monkey

Post by devil2004 »

A capacitor should solve your problems. It will provide the extra current for your car so the voltage drop from your system isn't as noticeable
akuma3
Oldtimer

Post by akuma3 »

sorry another noob question, so what does the capacitor do and what does it look like? where can i get one and how much around? 8O
lovemyfto
Apprentice

Post by lovemyfto »

Like Devil said

A capcitor should be installed along side your subby. This will charge under normal power and when the subby kicks hard it draws a butt load of power from the battery(more than the battery can handle) the capacitor discharges making up for the batteries short fall. The effect is that you don't see any dimming or voltage drop.

The capacitor you need is a big one when I say big I mean in terms of the one you see if a TV circuit board is in the pico farad or nano farad range... you need a big one in the micro farad (as in 250+micro farads) -> farad range....

So get your self down to a reputable car sound place and buy one that suits you.... the bigger the Capacitor rating the bigger the cost.

here is a quick install guide I found
http://www.caraudiohelp.com/car_audio_c ... lation.htm
akuma3
Oldtimer

Post by akuma3 »

must be something wrong with my setup, never heard of any of my friend have this problem, only one sub & amp pulls out that much power :x

if i put another amp in is that mean i pull out even more power?
SchumieFan
Oldtimer

Post by SchumieFan »

i run 2 sets of 6x9s and 2 6' fronts (as well as in dash speakers) and at high volume the light dims on my head unit and volt gauge dips slightly
akuma3
Oldtimer

Post by akuma3 »

at lease yours is not as bad as mine at the moment ... i just wanna know if i put another amp is that mean i'll pull more power?
devil2004
Grease Monkey

Post by devil2004 »

yes. If you are planning to upgrade your stereo setup more, it might be wise to get a larger battery aswell.
Deeps
Grease Monkey

Post by Deeps »

Yeah guys, I got the same issue.

But my battery meter "jumps" around with the music rapdly. My lights and stuff dont dim, or not that I can notice anyway.

But yeah, if you install another amp Im certain it will pull more power