i want an airbox

General Questions and comments

Moderators: IMC, Club Staff

GPXXX
Oldtimer
jedwabna poszewka promocja

i want an airbox

Post by GPXXX »

OK, as some of you might know, i currently have an Apexi pod filter fitted on my MIVEC motor... Now i'm thinking of enclosing it in an airbox (with an air intake feed-pipe), made from either perspex or carbon fibre...

i'd like to do this project myself, but where can i get sheets of perspex and carbonfibre? i've look at Bunnings but no luck... :oops:

Help...!!
Blk-Jet
Grease Monkey

Post by Blk-Jet »

i've got heaps of perspex somewhere under my home! It's roughly 6mm thick, 40cm wide and about 45 cm tall.

If you need some let me know :)
GPXXX
Oldtimer

Post by GPXXX »

where are u at mate? gimme your mobile #. the forum PMs have gone up sh1t creek these days...

how much do you want for 'em?
Blk-Jet
Grease Monkey

Post by Blk-Jet »

hehe i thought the PM's where up sh*t creek i've sent you 2! How much? sh*t i have no idea how much you sell 'em for hehe , i just need to make sure i'e got a few for you. my mobile is 0402191491 so give me a call whenever, i'm Frank :)
Blk-Jet
Grease Monkey

Post by Blk-Jet »

by the way

what did you want to swap in that post? I can't read it
GPXXX
Oldtimer

Post by GPXXX »

cool... thanks dude

i had wanted to swap my genuine Type-R bumper for a pre-facelift factory bumper (coz i want to fit a D-Cuatro front lip spoiler), but DANNYBOYAU from Perth seems so 'desparate' for one he was willing to swap his white bumper and respray it to factory passion red then bring it down to melb for me personally (hehehe...)

so the offer's off the table i guess... :?

Mikey
GPXXX
Oldtimer

Post by GPXXX »

anyone in melbourne know where i can buy one or get one fabricated?? i really need one, coz the water spray is getting into my filter whenever i get my cr washed... :roll:
dAsh
Apprentice

Post by dAsh »

Where do you want to put in Milkey? in the same spot of mounted under the front corner of the car?
I'm happy to help you build one if you need help.
GPXXX
Oldtimer

Post by GPXXX »

yeh man, i would much appreciate it you could... i'm still deciding if i should replace the factory rubber air-piping with an aluminium piping, but i'd like the air filter to sit where it is right now (see my pics) and covered with an airbox with an air- feed pipe from below (maybe with a PVC pipe should duffice i'd say).

send me an email to make arrangements so maybe we can meet up to discuss sometime.
Boney
Apprentice

Post by Boney »

im also in the same boat as mikey.. put in a K&N air filter.. and the piping is really short.. so it sits right next to the engine and is sucking in all the hot air - is there any places that build them??
dAsh
Apprentice

Post by dAsh »

Mikey, I'd be moving it if I were you, all it'll do there is suck in hot air (as Boney said)
I've seen them mounted down through the front, in near where the window washer bottle sits, sucking plenty of clean, cold air there :)
I'll see if I can find a pic I have.
GPXXX
Oldtimer

Post by GPXXX »

to give u an idea, i currently have the factory intake pipe but the factory airbox has been swapped with the Apex'i pod filter... so essentially nothingmuch has changed interms of where it's mounted, only it is sucking more then the OEM job... am i making sense? :?
FTO338
Oldtimer

Post by FTO338 »

Well i don't know about air box, but my friend & i builded air bracket for our car, & run a 2" pipe from the front. U can check out the pics again at the following link. They cost me $10 & 1hr.

http://au.briefcase.yahoo.com/bc/fto_me ... %26.view=t

Cheers
SilentBob
Mechanic

Post by SilentBob »

So is that a pod filter behind a heat shield of some type?

What did you make it out of?
FTO338
Oldtimer

Post by FTO338 »

Yeah it is a pod filter, i use the Rush O2!

The bracket is made from heat shield that used 2 cover the windscreen, u can put wood, plastic in between 2 straighten it, but i didn't think it was necessary, as i didn't use any of that. Its been under the bonnet for 8mths now, not a crack or color change, still look good as new, best of all u know it will reflect 99% heat as that what it designed for & if its
f%@# up, i can replace it anytime without worry about the cost!

Well in Vic u can go 2 SuperCheap Auto (i don't know if they in other state though), & from memory they got around 10 different colours for $8 each, gets some industrial tapes, few measurement & cutting & there u have it, a heat shield/bracket for your air pod/filter!
SilentBob
Mechanic

Post by SilentBob »

Nice thinking :)
Do you have a cold air feed running to it as well? if so what did you do to implement that?

SilentBob
FTO338
Oldtimer

Post by FTO338 »

Yeah i've got a 2" pipe from the front going 2 the air filter, but not pointing at it, cause u don't want all the dust/dirt from the rd goes 2 your air filter! I don't know what the piping called, but its one of those flexiable pipe from plumbing shop, so is very easy 2 bend them around under the bonnet! But they around $20 a metre!
GPXXX
Oldtimer

Post by GPXXX »

Looks like i might need your hand to help me fabricate the airbox as well Kev.
Boney
Apprentice

Post by Boney »

can someone take a look at this link (Requires Acrobat) and tell me how i would build an air box or heat sheild around a K&N filter positioned the same way as in the picture?

http://www.knfilters.com/57i/57-0293%202054-325.pdf

as this is what i have now.. set up like the instructions.. but the filter is getting extreamly hot.. so i suspect the engine is sucking in a stack of hot air

anyone have one of these? or have any ideas??
GPXXX
Oldtimer

Post by GPXXX »

8O well it's not hard to see why the filter is getting so hot - look how close it is to the engine!! didn't realise how close you meant, but now i know...!!

IMO it's best to get a separate piping fitted so that the filter is mounted away from the engine and shielded from the heat for extra protection... Even if you put a heat shield on your current setup, i don't think it will work very effectively (you'd be surprised how much heat can be absorbed by the material you use as the heat shield since it's so close to the engine).

I'm actually thinking about getting the following intake pipe shown below:
ImageImageImage

anybody know where i can get one from (apart from Funky Products in UK)??