fitting performance parts

Cruises, Meeting's and State Specific Information

Moderators: IMC, Club Staff

testlabmonkey
Grease Monkey
jedwabna poszewka promocja

fitting performance parts

Post by testlabmonkey »

Hello to all SA FTO owners.... and me :-P.

Just looking at pricing up fitting short shifter, extractors, flywheel and clutch to my FTO (when i get one) and was wondering if any members have had experience fitting these parts.. either paying someone in SA or doing themselves.

Wondering if anyone can think how much i would expect to pay to fit, who to go though, if the upgrages worth the cash and even who to buy the parts from... have gotton a price from the RPW website so far... anyone else who sells FTO designed parts you can recommend?

Ben
scarecrow
Veteran Mechanic

Post by scarecrow »

Shortshifter you can do yourself, shouldn't take too long at all; i wouldn't recommend attempting any of the other installs unless you are very confident.

Clutch
http://www.perfectrun.com.au/performanc ... clutch.htm
Short shifter
http://www.perfectrun.com.au/performanc ... eshift.htm
Flywheel
http://www.irlcomputers.com/Freak/

And the extractors from RPW.
[img]http://members.iinet.net.au/~viper39/carbw.jpg[/img]
testlabmonkey
Grease Monkey

Post by testlabmonkey »

damn that perfectrun.com.au site is cheeeeeeep. thanks for that :-)

edit: except when the item you want delivered is heavy.... and if you get charged GST at customs or not.
testlabmonkey
Grease Monkey

Post by testlabmonkey »

how about local mechanics... any good/bad experiences? recommendations?
Bennoz
National President

Post by Bennoz »

Short shifter & clutch best come from perfect run. As they are an Australian Importing company - so you need not worry about import duty or GST, its all included in the list prices.

For extractors, RPW is the place to go www.rpw.com.au
Better yet - get into the group buy currently happening - get 'em for $550 plus postage: http://www.ftoaustralia.com/modules.php ... 1&start=40

They also do lightened billet flywheels.

Fitting the extractors is a nightmare - I helped my mechanic do it, so I didnt have to pay much, but I've seen prices from $300 - $500 getting them fitted.

If your gonna do a clutch as well - do your extractors at the same time... Trust me, your mechanic will thank you! There's just no room to move in there otherwise & you'll save money. So find a guy that will do both for you.

Most clutch replacements (as far as labour cost go) can be anywhere from 700 - 1000 bucks.

Go and get yourself a cold air intake as well - It'll maximise the gains you get from extractors - If it breathes well, it will exhaust well. There are a number of CAI units available. The UAS one is a dyno tested proven one.
www.uniqueautosports.com.au. It will also give the car a nice throaty noise.

Fitting a quick shifter will take you about 30 minutes. There aint much to them as you can see - Its just 3 bolts. It is a little fiddly getting the spring & housing assembly to the new stick thou...

Bennoz
National President

Post by Bennoz »

Sorry - forgot to add, being a Sydney sider, I cant help you with a mechanic choice in SA :oops:

Luca & mrx should be able to advise you there :wink:
testlabmonkey
Grease Monkey

Post by testlabmonkey »

*jaw drops at install price*

OK next question... any female mechanics in SA who would be interested in considering "personal" favours in payment of mechanical services.... :P
mrx
Veteran Mechanic

Post by mrx »

testlabmonkey wrote:*jaw drops at install price*

OK next question... any female mechanics in SA who would be interested in considering "personal" favours in payment of mechanical services.... :P
:lol:

Well, there might be some male mechanics out there considering your offer....

Hey, if you want the job done (no pun intended)...

A clutch should not cost that much though. When I had the *ahem* new engine fitted, I got a new clutch supplied and fitted for like $400-$500. Still, a lot easier when you have the engine on a hoist anyhow.

But when you consider that to swap the engine, in labour, only cost like $200....a clutch will not cost that much. The $700-$1000 might be more like a heavy duty sports clutch SUPPLIED and fitted.

As for where to go - same as has been recommended before. Graham Wests on Marion Road out Brighton way. EVO guys swear buy them.
testlabmonkey
Grease Monkey

Post by testlabmonkey »

thanks mrx. will definately go there then. and look hes down south... lucky me.

hmmm i wonder which way he swings.... lol (ok that was wrong)

Oh another question. what is the differences between the standard clutch and the heavy duty... im guessing the heavy duty one is a harder foot action, slips even less and lasts a lot longer is that a fair enough comment?
GoldFTO
Grease Monkey

Post by GoldFTO »

would you recommend changing the clutch???

my clutch is still fine but isnt a heavy duty clutch always better then the standered one it comes out with???

Also when my car is ready for a service and tune up do you reckon travel to adelaide and get a good mechanic to do it or risk a dodgy whyalla mechanic???
testlabmonkey
Grease Monkey

Post by testlabmonkey »

*shrugs shoulders*

from what i understand the harder the clutch the better it grabs (obviously) and the longer it will last if you thrash the cr#p out of it. the more power you get out of your engine the more important it is to have a decent clutch.

as for fitting the clutch i really doubt it is a challenging job and someone in your village (:P) should be able to do the job fine. buuuuut what would i know im just giving you my opinion.

Ben