Cruises, Meeting's and State Specific Information

Moderators: IMC, Club Staff

khunjeng
Oldtimer
jedwabna poszewka promocja

Service Info in Melb

Post by khunjeng »

Yo!

I found a reference to Power House GENESIS Racing in a post somewhere by FTO338 (located in Blackburn) and decided to crusie down today to have a chat...found out they are no more and they have been replaced by APB Autotech.

Anyway after a long chat about FTOs the guys seemed to know their stuff and I decided to book it in for a service (timing belt) and to fix those damn tappets on my GPX..see how it goes.

I was impressed by his comments regarding the cost of FTO parts and the fact that it shouldn't always add a zero to the price!

KJ
know1here
Apprentice

Post by know1here »

Hey KJ,

Just outta interest, how much did APB Autotech charge you for standard service?? I'm due for my next major. Have they done it yet?

I know a lotta ppl on the forum go to Lee (ex SL Motorsports). Call me ol fashion, but I prefer a mechanic who I go to their shop, rather than a "he comes to you" which kinda sounds dodge (though I'm sure it's not). :?

Anyone still use AO Automotive in Bundoora??? I read about them in some thread a while back.
WildRide
Grease Monkey

Post by WildRide »

Has SL gone under ? :(

I need to get a little work done on my exhaust and was thinking about going to them.

Any other reccomendations?

WR
FTO338
Oldtimer

Post by FTO338 »

Lee had sold his business (not the name) to one of the mechanic there, so SL didn't went under.

Lee can still do the job, Shue just had his extractor & hi-flow CAT done by him, & Josh is getting his extractor done atm.

To me, I rather go to someone who have lots of years of experience with different import cars (not just FTO) like Lee, then someone whos start having an "experiment" with it.
DISCLAIMER: The above text is the personal opinion of the author and does not represent the indisputable truth. The author is not responsible for any deaths, injuries or mental illness caused by the above statments.
WildRide
Grease Monkey

Post by WildRide »

If anyone has contact details for Lee could the pm them to me.
Might see if he wants the gig.
know1here wrote:he comes to you...
How does that work??? :?

Going to be tough getting to the exhaust with out a hoist.

WR
FTO338
Oldtimer

Post by FTO338 »

He actually have a little setup in Springvale, not far from his old shop, is only temp, until he finish his new house, & then his house would be fully equip with all the stuff (So i was told). And of course for minor service he comes to you.

His number is 0414 738 781
DISCLAIMER: The above text is the personal opinion of the author and does not represent the indisputable truth. The author is not responsible for any deaths, injuries or mental illness caused by the above statments.
WildRide
Grease Monkey

Post by WildRide »

Heheh....
Spoke to Lee

He asked if I could get another car because he's been working on FTO's to much recently.

Poor baby :D

WR
khunjeng
Oldtimer

Post by khunjeng »

APB Autotech are doing some minor work to mine as we speak...I'm getting some new plugs, some better oil to silence my tappets as requested and some new trans fluid incl flush...wont be that much...but I will let you know...the labour might be expensive..Really shoulda done this myself...but I also wanted some other stuff checked out but its A1 ok!

I was gonna give Lee a call regarding fitting the UAS extractors...they are a must have! probably get a quote from both.
EURO
Oldtimer

Post by EURO »

APB Autotech -

Let me know how you go? I just live around the corner from them. Drove past the other day. What oil are they using on your car? cost of service?
khunjeng
Oldtimer

Post by khunjeng »

Hey mate

Had a few issues with my car but this had nothing to do with APB - In fact they were a great help .. esp. when it came to getting a new set of spark leads in a short time..

They put in a lot of effort to got over some really *~dreamy~* problems and did it without much trouble..I will go back.

If you go there..tell them you spoke to the guy with the Black FTO / with crome rims with the re-made leads...they'll remember!!

KJ.
EURO
Oldtimer

Post by EURO »

thanks mate good to hear.

Do you know waht oil they used? castrol? motul? mobile 1?

and what grade? 5w-30? etc?

Can you check your service sheet if you dont know...

finally cost for service?
khunjeng
Oldtimer

Post by khunjeng »

yeah sorry forgot to say in the last post

we decided to use a 10w/50 fully Synthetic - I think (from memory it was Castrol Formula R ) but actually I can't remember...

My service cost $650 - but theye did a lot of extra work on a few things which added about 250 to the price (labour mainly)..I think for the normal service items it would be around 250-300 :

Oil change + filter (Synthetic) ~ $90
Trans fluid (geniune)+ filter ~ $70
New NGK Platiums ~ $130

* all price include labour..

But I got new leads made some other stuff checked and we had issues with not only the leads but one of the spark plug tubes which had a bend in it and made it damn hard to get the plug out (fixed!) that cost me some extra with the checking of the tappets and a few other items..

For the basic stuff (although you can do it yourself pretty easily) its about normal. I get my Ford serviced at another place and the costs are roughly the same...