How do you fit 6x9s at the rear

This forum discusses anything to do with your In Car Entertainment requirements such as. Stereo's, TV screens, Speakers, Navigation Systems, etc

Moderators: IMC, Club Staff

elmo
Grease Monkey
jedwabna poszewka promocja

door speakers

Post by elmo »

I upgraded my door speakers from 5inch to 6 inch?? I think? The JBL's I put in were very deep, would have been at least 10-15cm with still some clearance. Sorry thats the best i can do bro, my memories shot to sh*t.
Can get the dimensions off the box for the speakers I used if that helps.

What you plannin on doin?
rxboy
Mechanic

Post by rxboy »

Thanx for the reply Elmo. I'm planning to put in some good quality component speakers, probably 6 inch Alpine Type Rs. I want to make sure they'll fit depth-wise before I make a purchase. Still tossing up between good quality 6x9s in the rear OR a decent sub in the boot. Either way I'll have to get a 4 channel amp. Still have to try to soundproof the rear quarter panels to see if I can eliminate at least some of my rattles.

Does anyone have a JL Audio W0 sub? I've heard it played at JB Hi-Fi, and it sounds better than a more powerful Alpine Type R sub 8O
G_A_V
Veteran Mechanic

Post by G_A_V »

rxboy, do you sit in the back seat ? if not why put good quality sound in the back ?? grab a set of quality splits for the front, and 1 or 2 subs for the rear, who gives a f$4# wwhat it sounds like in the back of the car ! especially seeing as its hard enough to fit in the back !
rxboy
Mechanic

Post by rxboy »

You've convinced me GAV - a sub it is then :D
I was only considering the 6x9s for their added bass, nothing else really. But a sub is only going to cost me a little more and provide me with better bass anyways.

The problem is, I'll have to get a more powerful amp now. I need 2 bridged channels to give me at least 150W RMS power, ie I'll have to buy at least a 4x75W RMS amp. But will 75W RMS per channel be too much for 50W RMS front splits???
elmo
Grease Monkey

6x9's

Post by elmo »

The 6x9's improve overall sound quality quite a lot i reckon. I only went for two ways cause all the treble is lost back there anyway. Subs are only gonna add to the bass, they are not gonna get rid of the distorsion when you cranks those stock 6x9's, plus the rear speakers provide a lot of your midrange. The car sounds a bit hollow with the rear turned down.
I've got splits in the doors, with an extra tweeter just above the door handle, this produces quite good sound but still needs good rear sound to compliment it.
Don't get me wrong, subbies have their purpose, and they are high on my to do list, but without the 6x9's you cant get a good fill. And you wont need an amp to drive them...yet....
rxboy
Mechanic

Post by rxboy »

Are you saying that I can run 50W RMS 6x9s off the headunit's power? I don't think that will be enough amplification considering that my headunit puts out 4x50W max (4x19W RMS).
FT-TRO2

IVE fitted 6x9's

Post by FT-TRO2 »

I got 6x9's fitted at Soundmaster car audio here in sydney..

I watched the technichian do it, he had a real hard time!

He took the rear seats out...thats the only way it could be done :?

Also does anyone know what size the stock front speakers are?
rxboy
Mechanic

Post by rxboy »

160mm (or 6.5in) according to my ruler :lol: