How do you fit 6x9s at the rear

This forum discusses anything to do with your In Car Entertainment requirements such as. Stereo's, TV screens, Speakers, Navigation Systems, etc

Moderators: IMC, Club Staff

GPXXX
Oldtimer
jedwabna poszewka promocja

How do you fit 6x9s at the rear

Post by GPXXX »

ok i'm contemplating on replacing the factory 6x9s on the FTO's rear parcel shelf...

i had a good look at the parcel shelf and speaker mounts but i still have NFI how to remove that speaker mesh-thingie...

HELP!!!
rxboy
Mechanic

Post by rxboy »

LOL.... I was trying to do the exact same thing a couple of days ago. Tried to use a screwdriver to go under the speaker mesh and lift it up, but couldn't do it. Maybe the only way to get to them is from the boot. My speakers are clearly visible/reachable from the boot and there's nothing covering them. Is that the way it's supposed to be?

Has anyone installed good 6x9s in their FTO? I've decided not to go for the sub because of how much room it will take up in the boot and because it will cover up access to the space-saver spare. I assume you can get pretty good bass from them, especially since the boot will act like an enclosure for them.
Theremin
Grease Monkey

Post by Theremin »

rxboy
Mechanic

Post by rxboy »

Oops :roll: thanks for the reminder. Totally forgot that I had already downloaded this PDF a year and a half ago :oops:
NightFire
Apprentice

Post by NightFire »

Lol, I tried the screwdriver trick as well.. until I found the pdf file.. a lot easier to do with the rear seats pulled off :)

What speakers are you looking at? I bought some top range Pioneer ones, and they are superb! I've heard JBL, Sony and Kenwood ones, and the pioneer were the best!
Rusty12
Grease Monkey

Post by Rusty12 »

What brand are the stock speakers and how powerful are they?

My whole sound system has been refitted but it would be just interesting to know as I heard they weren't too bad to start with.
rxboy
Mechanic

Post by rxboy »

I might get Alpine Type S 6x9s. They seem to have a better frequency response than their supposedly superior Type R counterparts. For some reason most 6x9 speakers include a tweeter (coaxial 2-way). That would be pretty useless in an FTO considering that we have tweeters directly pointed at us from the front vents.

Does anybody have any experience with JL Audio speakers? I know their subs are good but not sure about the speakers.
GPXXX
Oldtimer

Post by GPXXX »

i'm more inclined to go with either Pioneers or Alpine Type-S 6x9s...

might have a go at removing the seats this evening and see if i can replace the rear speakers myself...

...and by fitting a graphic equaliser (no subs or amps fitted atm), will it make it sound better somehow?
rxboy
Mechanic

Post by rxboy »

The stock speakers are not any particular brand. Their RMS power is:
front 6.5 - 15W
tweeters - 10W
rear 6x9 - 20W
GPXXX
Oldtimer

Post by GPXXX »

apparently my mate had a look and it seems that my front door speakers have already been swapped with Kenwoods... (no wonder they sound surprisingly good).

but yeh, Alpine or Pioneer 6x9s are on the cards for next week! :D
payaya
Oldtimer

Post by payaya »

i tried hooking up JL's 6 x 9's they sounded like crap with the stock headunit! the stock headunit sucks for power.
Quattro
Apprentice

Post by Quattro »

6x9 speakers aren't as good as they are cracked up to be.

If your buying Alpine, better bet would be to buy 6 1/2 inch for rear shelf and a sub for bass with small V12 amp to run them. Cleaner bass and you get the benefit of better mid range, which leads to better all round package. Add some 6 1/2inch speaker with splits at the front and all sweet. Balance of treble, mid-range and bass.

:lol:
Biot
Apprentice

Post by Biot »

6x9 alter the sound wave...best stick to concentric shaped speakers as opposed to ovals. The theory with ovals is to increase cone area and hopefully lower the resonate frequency which is the same principle as running dual drivers.
TheSentry
Grease Monkey

Post by TheSentry »

rxboy wrote:That would be pretty useless in an FTO considering that we have tweeters directly pointed at us from the front vents.
We have tweeters? :o

The previous owner replaced all the stock speakers with Kenwoods and they do use quite good, but they r running off a cheapo deck that only puts out 25w per chan. I was hoping someone would steal it to give me an excuse to replace it, but it doesn't look like that's gonna happen. :lol:
Daz_FTO
Grease Monkey

Post by Daz_FTO »

I fitted a pair of kenwood 7x10's in the back. Easiest way to mount them was from the underside - if you want some pic's of the job pm me and i will send them your way. There was no way to fit them in the top.
ellusion
Grease Monkey

Post by ellusion »

DO we have tweeters? I have never notcied them! My model is a GX, do only GPX's get tweeters?
smorison
The Godfather

Post by smorison »

there was an ICE upgrade pack you could buy for the FTO (in japan of course) tweeters go in the little vents near the door on the dash i.e. the one just right of and above the instrument cluster.

you will find the wiring is already in there if you pull it apart.
elmo
Grease Monkey

tweeters

Post by elmo »

mines got tweeter in the door too. Must be non-factory.

BTW GPXXX you gotta drill out the pop rivets holding in the mount for the baby seats that should have been fitted when the car was complianced. Took me a while to figure it out, but cant be done without taking the mount out.

Got 6x9 JBL's, two ways I think from memory, cause I got the tweeter etc in the front.
rxboy
Mechanic

Post by rxboy »

Does anyone know the maximum depth of the speaker that fits into the door?
rxboy
Mechanic

Post by rxboy »

What!?!?! No takers on this one? :cry:
Please, does anyone know this? I don't particular want to unscrew the speaker again just so I can stick a ruler in there :lol: