Cruises, Meeting's and State Specific Information

Moderators: IMC, Club Staff

Timnkoo
Apprentice
jedwabna poszewka promocja

CAM BELT

Post by Timnkoo »

Hi guys,
WOW my first post on the Qforum!!! How exciting 8)

I was wondering if there is a good place here in Brissie where I could buy a CAM belt and spark plugs for a 97 GR. By 'good' I mean quite a cheap place that has the right stuff.

Thanks guys for any info,
Tim
Last edited by Timnkoo on Tue Nov 15, 2005 3:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Breza
Mechanic

Post by Breza »

Hi Tim,

A lot of people (myself included) have gotten our major services done at Rik and Jo's on the Gold Coast (www.nihoncarparts.com.au).

They are pretty much guaranteed to have all the parts required for a 100k service of an FTO on hand so no need to purchase them prior to your service.

Mention you are part of the QLD FTO Club and you will get 10% discount on their already competitive pricing.

Although, I have since moved to Tassie and things may have changed?

Cheers

Chris
Timnkoo
Apprentice

Post by Timnkoo »

Yeah I have already rang them up and got quoted around the $1000 mark includ just the cam belt and not sure what spark plugs (forgot to ask :( ). I have rang around other places in Brissie and been quoted much much less- $600 from Brisbane Tuning and Turbo Centre at the Gabba which included the same service WITH 6 platinum plugs.....But I have heard that Rick and Joe's is really good so now im not sure what to do.....any thoughts??

Also Rick said prob add $500 to fix my oil leak!!! This seems very expensive..seeing as though I believe it is just a cam seal.

Anyway not sure what to do....any advice is greatly appreciated.
Tim
Breza
Mechanic

Post by Breza »

$500 is reasonable to fix an oil leak with an FTO motor, if that's all you are doing. Apparently it is a pain to get everything apart.

As a guide..........

Rik and Jo's serviced my car over 2 days before I returned to Tassie (100k service at 85k), replacing cams seals etc and I don't think I got much change from $1k when I supplied oils, plugs, air filter, oil filter, brake fluid, coolant etc etc.

My only problem was the new cam seals didn't seat properly, I also had leaks from front and rear crank seals and the rear rocker cover plus a few minor problems with clips in the top end, therefore I had to shell out another $1.6k (mostly labour) to get everything fixed (nearly every seal in the motor) in one hit by my workshop here in Hobart.

Haven't had any further problems...........except the unquenchable desire to spend money on performance modifications. :-)

Cheers

Chris