what speakers?

This forum discusses anything to do with your In Car Entertainment requirements such as. Stereo's, TV screens, Speakers, Navigation Systems, etc

Moderators: IMC, Club Staff

mell
Grease Monkey
jedwabna poszewka promocja

what speakers?

Post by mell »

seeing as u guys are the experts when it comes to this kinda thing i just thought to ask u

what speakers would u recomend 4 my car.....and which ones do u guys have?

:wink:
Mell
FTO338
Oldtimer

Post by FTO338 »

It really depends on how fussy you are when it comes to sound quality. If you not too fuss then most off the shelf brand would be fine.

But if you are fussy with sound like lot of us here, & want better clarity & bass, then Infinity, Boston Acoustics (not Boston), MB Quart, Orion & Diamond Audio will certainly the one to go for. Mind you there are lots more top brand out there too, these are the one I can remember on top of my head.

At the end of the day is really depends on your budget as well.

Ohh & I use Diamond Audio Hex series split at the front, & JL Audio 6x9 at the back.
DISCLAIMER: The above text is the personal opinion of the author and does not represent the indisputable truth. The author is not responsible for any deaths, injuries or mental illness caused by the above statments.
Slither
Mechanic

Post by Slither »

Get the Sony Xplode series!

:lol: :lol: :lol:
rnbboi
Mechanic

Post by rnbboi »

im using alpine type r splits atm, running off a cadence amp - sure packs a few punches :P
SchumieFan
Oldtimer

Post by SchumieFan »

im running sony xplod series front and rears off a pioneer headunit... im gonna upgrade to pioneer speakers i think. worth it
Dr_Jones
Veteran Mechanic

Post by Dr_Jones »

It's not about brand in my opinion. Go out and listen to as much stuff as you can and take your own source material. Of course limit it to your price range . Obviously you can't demo too much stuff in a car but on a board you can. It won't be the same but it will give you an idea.

Be sure to use a similar amp as the one you have or if there is no amp make sure it's powered off a deck, with a sub or without. Don't make your decision on price make it on sound...that's what you have to live with.
ahew
Grease Monkey

Post by ahew »

I've got the MB Quart PCE216 just today! but can't install them until the car comes out of the smash repairs.... :evil: i'm getting impatient and it's only been 1 day. hahaha
NorthQLDFTO
Grease Monkey

Post by NorthQLDFTO »

Mate of mine has a Supra and he's just had a full DLS install running off an Alpine Multimedia Centre head unit... Cost him a bucket but you cannot fault the sound quality... Clear, crisp & LOUD right across the range!
If I Had A Dollar For Every Time Someone Said "If I Had A Dollar For Every Time Someone Said <...>" Well... Then... I'd... Have A Dollar For Every Time Somone Said "If I Had A Dollar For Every Time Someone Said <...>"!!!
khunjeng
Oldtimer

Post by khunjeng »

as you can't demo stuff easily...do your homeowrk and get the specs for the speakers...such as freq. response & sensitivity this will tell how they will perform generally...however in the car it can be different..if you need a hand understanding it ,let me know (I'm sure others casn help also).
FTOluv
Veteran Mechanic

Post by FTOluv »

most people have mentioned the rite things so no need to repeat it. Just make sure yr amp and speakers match properly to maximise the potential of the components.
If u just want speakers and no amp. Buy a pair of Kenwood or Pioneer 3 Way 6x9's and some Blaupunkt splits (They are extremely good value for their price).
ahew
Grease Monkey

Post by ahew »

actually, it's better to have an amp that is rater at over the power of the speakers (eg. speakers 75wRMS, Amp 100wRMS) as it stops the speakers from clipping and damage.

If you want some bassy 6x9's (I would use these as sub replacements rather than for hi's and mids) then try out Infinity and Vibe Audio. Both have pretty long excursion drivers.
FTOluv
Veteran Mechanic

Post by FTOluv »

actually, it's better to have an amp that is rater at over the power of the speakers (eg. speakers 75wRMS, Amp 100wRMS) as it stops the speakers from clipping and damage.
not really mate, not all speakers are underrated. Some speakers can handle it some will just blow. Its best to just match them unless u definately know the speakers are under rated.
ahew
Grease Monkey

Post by ahew »

wasn't referring to underrated power though, was referring to the speaker's power output compared to the amp's power output. to have a safe setup you wouldn't want to have the speaker's output to be higher than the amp. speakers normally get blown if you pass a clipped signal through it, which happens when the amp isn't able to amplify the sound clean enough (ie. if you're pushing an amp to 100wRMS and it's rated at 100wRMS you can be assured that if you push it you'll get clipping).

agreed that if it matches it's better than the above scenario for sure. but if you have an amp that's higher output you can always lower the gains to match :wink: always good to have some headroom.
Some speakers can handle it some will just blow
also agree that there is a huge difference between good quality speakers and poor quality speakers as you've said.
khunjeng
Oldtimer

Post by khunjeng »

How about playing your music at decent levels and then you generally have no problems..including no need to replace the back window after 6 months :P
ahew
Grease Monkey

Post by ahew »

hehehe.. yeah that too.. but it's just assurance. if you had $700+ splits, you wouldn't want to risk that chance of sending them to car audio heaven.
FTOluv
Veteran Mechanic

Post by FTOluv »

I understand what u mean Ahew but that doesnt make complete sense. Why wouldnt u just get an amp that can is 75WRMS and a speaker that is 75WRMS?! I agree with the whole clipping thing, but if u have decent amp then it is definately going to giv 75WRMS and maybe a little more.

That theory of yrs probably relates more to cheaper amps like Audioline etc...
ahew
Grease Monkey

Post by ahew »

yup, didn't say it wasn't possible just that it's pushing it pretty close especially if you like to pump your music up. there's no doubt that a cheap 400w "maxpower fully sik bro" amp will be more likely to blow a speaker than a good quality 100W amp, so yes if you had a decent amp then I wouldn't worry about this problem much or at all. it all comes down to your price range and also your existing system. another reason for me would also be compatibility with future upgrades as well.
akuma3
Oldtimer

Post by akuma3 »

for quality sound that you can feel a big different compare to all other speakers, use JL splitz but it's bloody expensive around $400