Air Filters

This forum is for technical discussions on anything that will make your car handle better or go faster.

Moderators: IMC, Club Staff

G_A_V
Veteran Mechanic
jedwabna poszewka promocja

Air Filters

Post by G_A_V »

Ok im in desperite need of an air filter, mines getting filty!
so i think we have basicly established k&n pods are best for value, and hks are best performance + they dont filter very well.
I really dont mind either way k&n or HKS, well i guess i would prefer the hks :P
but anyways i tried perfect run, and i dont like the idear of getting it freighted from japan to my house, UAS said their is a serious back log on hks filters, with waits up to 2 months. I tried those car shops like motquip in the shopping centres and they can get k&n filter kits with the adaptor for around 250 this sounds like a rip off + i bet they dont give me the right one for my car !
I need the mas filter ones (for a gr). Whjere else should i try get the filter from ? whats reasonable prices for these (btw im in sydney)
how do they compare (peformance & sound wise) ? alos how are the blitz sus filters ? are there any good places to get these parts with out waiting for them to order it from japan ?
what are peoples opionions of perfectrun.com.au ?
D-TRAIN
Mechanic

Post by D-TRAIN »

I've got all my bits and pieces from Perfectrun so I have no complains. I get along with Taki (the guy that runs the place) pretty well so I have no qualms. I've always got the things EMS freighted to his workshop and have had no problems so far. Arrives fairly quickly too, inside 10 days.
EMS is trackable too as opposed to sea frieght (which is substantially cheaper though). Perfectrun has a web page with all the freight prices.

Have you tried BD4s? They are an official distributor of HKS products in Australia. They're very helpful as well. I was going to get the Super Drager exhaust system from them but they only had the ones for the GR not GPX. So I went Apexi instead with Perfectrun.

Good luck man, I know you've been looking for filters for awhile!
twistea
Grease Monkey

Post by twistea »

gav, i also have a gr and the first thing i bought for it was a K&N rampod kit through RPW in perth. it works great, the car runs noticably smoother with it fitted and it has an awesome roar. i highly recommend it.

i did consider buying an ordinary cone shaped filter like the hks but those cause the air to enter the airflow meter in a swirling motion. the airflow meter fitted to gr models requires the air to enter the meter straight and not in a swirling motion. fortunately the K&N pod filter is oval shaped and it allows the air to enter the meter straight. this will avoid the engine stumbling and running rough.

the downside to fitting a pod filter is that it is exposed to the heat of the engine. so soon i will surround the filter with some heat shield and feed in colder air through some piping from the front bar. the other good alternative for a gr is to keep your existing airbox setup and replace the filter with a panel type one. this would also give good results and it would be cheaper. K&N do those too.

btw, the K&N kit retails for $220. i managed to haggle down to $190 from my local distributer. it only took a few days for me to get it. check out the RPW site, im sure they have a distributer in sydney. you wont be dissapointed.
ellusion
Grease Monkey

Post by ellusion »

what actually comes in the KnN kit for $220?
I also have a gr and would like to get a filter.
twistea
Grease Monkey

Post by twistea »

you get a factory pre-oiled oval filter, a bracket and an adaptor to fit to your airflow meter.

mind you, the bracket they supply is just a flimsy piece of sheet metal. it does the job but its pretty ugly. thats the only bad thing id have to say about the kit.
MattG
Grease Monkey

Post by MattG »

I may be selling my K&N filter - depends if I buy another car or not.

I have a K&N filter for the GR as sold by RPW, and I also have the cleaning kit (never used).

I will advise how things go soon.

M@
http://www.forensicdata.com.au
The Data Recovery Experts
G_A_V
Veteran Mechanic

Post by G_A_V »

thanks for your help guys, does anyone happen to have the gr k&n code for the filter? oh and adaptor kit
hnm738
Grease Monkey

Post by hnm738 »

hi there
was wandering what you guys think is better

57i k&n kit $220
hks superflow $223
itg camskill $215

or what air filter would you reccommend me?

i have a gpx tip
kaveman
Grease Monkey

Post by kaveman »

hey gav

i know justjap at kirrawee have hks and ozrush filter

give them a call or check out

http://www.justjap.com/Welcome_Page.htm

i have hks and it work gr8t

robert :lol:
G_A_V
Veteran Mechanic

Post by G_A_V »

thanks guys, i orderd a k&n cold air induction system, i think its called the tornado or something, im a little worried though cause i communicated between the sales person and they communicated over the phone to k&N so im hopeing it will be compatible with the mas or what ever sensor is on the gr, the thing looked like a tornado so im also worried it will circulate the air, ah well it cost me 280. aparently there isnt a panel filter replacement aval in aust for the fto, well thats what the k&n rep said, im so confused atm, because k&n didnt have a seperate kit for the gr then the mivec, the guy didnt know the difference, and just said its made for the 2l v6 mitsubishi engine.
i hope it all goes together