legal matter

General Questions and comments

Moderators: IMC, Club Staff

rxboy
Mechanic
jedwabna poszewka promocja

legal matter

Post by rxboy »

Does anyone know if the rear bumper carbon fibre light panel for the FTO is legal on Victorian roads? I've seen some pics in the gallery section of FTOs with the panel - have you ever been pulled over for being unroadworthy? An employee of Vicroads told me that BLUE water jets are legal as long as they don't appear red from the front, white from the back and they don't blink. Am I to assume then that the rear bumper carbon fibre light panel would also be legal as long as the FTO logo does NOT shine red?
GPXXX
Oldtimer

Post by GPXXX »

i don't think they are carbon fibre... i've seen these panels before (the one that runs across the apart part of the bumper between both rear lights right?)

that panel is actually a reflective light panel (the ones you see as you drive past them at night without the lights on, and you can see the reflection - do i make any sense??)
GPXXX
Oldtimer

Post by GPXXX »

...and by the way, maybe we should all organise something like this someday (clink on link below)

http://www.rollaboyz.org.au/cgi-bin/com ... 1050732386
rxboy
Mechanic

Post by rxboy »

The description of the panel says that it's carbon fibre and that the FTO logo lights up red or blue (depending on which you choose) when you wire it up to your lights (and yeah it sits between the rear lights). You can order it from one of UK's FTO internet sites, where there is a disclaimer about the legality of the panel. Just want to check if it's legal here before I place any orders :P
G_A_V
Veteran Mechanic

yeah his right

Post by G_A_V »

Yeah the panels his talking about are different from the standard mitsubishi red one,s they are seen on funky product website i think, they light up with the break lights or can be hooked up to the main lights, or even a switch
I personally think the black carbon bits look out of place, but hey its original.
http://www.funkyproduct.co.uk if u want one
rxboy
Mechanic

Post by rxboy »

Yeah they're the ones G_A_V. But can anyone tell me if they are legal?
Assk

Post by Assk »

We put one on our car. We haven't been pulled over for it yet!

As far as I could tell from reading the design regulations it is legal as long as you don't hook it up to your brake lights.

The basic gist of the law states that no words or logos are to be illuminated when braking. (The reason for this would be along the lines of distracting the other drivers attention)

I hooked ours up to the main lights so that it comes on when you put the lights on.

While the fto symbol lights up nice and visable, it's not really that "bright" and I don't think that too many police would be concerned with it unless they're specifically looking for every little thing to bust you on. In which case you can just unplug it on the spot.

Although as I couldn't find any specific regulation covering it, you could justifiably argue your point and I don't see that the police are going to take you to court over it to get a specific ruling.
G_A_V
Veteran Mechanic

Post by G_A_V »

have u got a pic of it on your car ?? like on a colour different then white, and with better quality, just to see what it really looks like
Assk

Post by Assk »

Will take some over the weekend and probably post them on Sunday night.

Our car's Silver.
rxboy
Mechanic

Post by rxboy »

Cool. Thanks for the info Assk. I suspected as much. Would love to see a photo of it (especially if you take it at night when the logo is lit if possible).