NEW ADELAIDIENS!

Cruises, Meeting's and State Specific Information

Moderators: IMC, Club Staff

twistea
Grease Monkey
jedwabna poszewka promocja

Post by twistea »

hey flygirl, i was on that cruise when your car got rear ended. too bad. hopefully you get back on the road soon. chance has it that some doofus reversed into my fto the other day too. bugga :x
EXC
Apprentice

Post by EXC »

ahhh your fto is blue or black then right?
twistea
Grease Monkey

Post by twistea »

its as blue as blue can be!
Daz_FTO
Grease Monkey

Post by Daz_FTO »

All quiet lately.... How was the car show EXC? you do any dyno tests?
twistea
Grease Monkey

Post by twistea »

quiet... this is adelaide remember!

but speaking of dyno's, ill be running my beast on one with another car club in december. im hoping for some good numbers......
Daz_FTO
Grease Monkey

Post by Daz_FTO »

Yep - you got that right.. Happenin city we have here. Id be interested to see your results - which club was this through? Is the one you spoke to me about?

Also, did that exhaust mod change your insurance any? been thinking about geting a similar thing done to mine ni the very near future.
twistea
Grease Monkey

Post by twistea »

yep, the dyno day is being coordinated by the mitsubishi gsr/evo club. im not a member but they said that anyone is welcome. you could come too if you like. cost is $25.

my exhaust didnt change the insurance for me.
Daz_FTO
Grease Monkey

Post by Daz_FTO »

Yeah i might try and get along if i get my exhaust done by then. Do you have to register with them that you are turning up? I dont see the point of putting my car on a dyno if it remains in stock condition...
twistea
Grease Monkey

Post by twistea »

you need to register your interest on their website forum. its in their events section i think. but even if your car is stock it will give you a baseline performance measure which may be usefull for you in the future if you choose to make some enhancements.
luke

Hi all - another adelaide FTO

Post by luke »

Hello,

My name is Luke. Been looking around for FTO owners - even went to the EVO/GSR club - but none.

Anyway, it would be good to chat with some owners. See what problems you guys have had. I imported my own fto directly from japan - 95 GPX manual. Had lots of problems with it and thrown lots of money at it.

Anyone got noisy tappets on their GPX? I've heard they are common with the GPXs but no one here can fix it. Be good to see what you guys have on your FTO.

I am interested in the turbo FTO - flygirl. Been thinking about turbo-ing my fto. Had a 180sx (turbo) before, and the fto just doesn't give me that same kick. Been thinking about buying a evo 4 engine. The drive train and engine is suppose to fit straight in. A 4 wheel drive turbo FTO. That would give the WRXs and skylines a drive for they money.

cheers

luke :D
Daz_FTO
Grease Monkey

Post by Daz_FTO »

LUke,

What sort of problems have you been having? I am thinking i may have been lucky - not haveing any issues with mine...yet.

As for your tappets - i beleive you can adjust them. There have been a few posts around on this site.

http://www.ftoaustralia.com/modules.php ... pic&t=897

http://www.ftooc.org/phpbb/viewtopic.php?t=3873

Turbo all wheel drive would be great!!! ANy ideas on how much a conversion like that would cost?

Where abouts in adelaide are you luke? north or south of the city?
EXC - how do you have your car insured? being 18 with a turbo import...
luke

Post by luke »

Hey Daz_Fto,

yeah i live in the north east, gilberton near the cnr of stephen tce and walkeville tce.

Yeah, thanks for showing me the threads. Been thinking about adjusting my tappets. Took it to mitsubushi in the city and they charged me $180 just to tell me that they can't do it - don't have the right tools... arseholes. Been too heaps of places and had my car opened up quite a few time just to find out that no one can do it.

Its been a year I've been looking around. I've actually bought the FTO workshop manual, and found out that you have to order a special tool from Ralliart in japan. Costs about $300 bucks - and it will take 3 weeks for it to get here.

Thinking of geting it done in about a month's time. Just spent 1200 dollars last week on a new clutch kit and small repairs on the car - so iam a little broke.

So what have you done to your car? Saw the pictures of flygirls car and to my shock - looks exactly like mine same colour and same kit - except the side skits (slightly different). Only difference is that I don't have those cool GT stripes, but had my car lowered and now i bottom out the car all the time - expensive. I have cracked my front bar before and had to send it to get re-fibre glassed and painted.

Hear from you guys soon.

luke :lol:
EXC
Apprentice

Post by EXC »

yeah my car used to be lowered, but after repairing my front bar every 2months it got old fast. Plus i had to park on the street cause it wouldn't make it up my drive way.

Yeah dont mess with my GT Stripes. As soon as I saw other red FTO's in adelaide with veilside I was like screw this gotta be different :P

duuuuuudes when are we cruising?
Daz_FTO
Grease Monkey

Post by Daz_FTO »

My car is completely stock http://home.iprimus.com.au/crimsonchicken/ I would like to get a new front bar, upgrade whole wexhaust system, replace rims and replace the rear spoiler. Was looking to get the paint changed slightly too - by getting a pearl topcoat put on, still finding out the price for that too.

I havent really had the money to do anything as yet...had the money, but need it for other things :(

As for your tappet adjuster - i know i have read somewhere about making your own, just trying to recall where i read that article.

Mitsubishi Dealerships SUCK. They are over priced and no very little about FTO's down here. I have had to replace a steering rack boot - i spoke to the dealership in the city and they quoted me at least $60 for the part and then having to leave the car in their shed all day would probably amount to something near $100-150 all up. I ended up going to a mechanic over near brompton -dodgey looking place, but they have been there years and are car enthusiasts, not just mechanics. ANyway i showed him what i needed and he replaced it for me for less than $40 all up. ($13 part)

Ill get back to you with the link for adjusting your tappets shortly.
Daz_FTO
Grease Monkey

Post by Daz_FTO »

Alrighty... crusin. Any suggestions for places? I am right for a spin this weekend. I still claim to be an out-of-towner, moved here from brisbane a couple years ago and still have no idea where any decent driving spots are. Places i have been to which could be ok are - towarsd the beach or up the hill to lofty or out to birdwood.... Anyway their just some thoughts.
Daz_FTO
Grease Monkey

Post by Daz_FTO »

Luke, try this link it may be useful for your tappet issue.

http://www.funky-fto.co.uk/tool.html
luke

Post by luke »

Saw that tool already. It's taking about something else. Thanks anyway. It'll be good to meet up with everyone in a car park just to check out each others cars.

And EXC, I know your pain, I scrape my car everytime i enter and leave my driveway. Have to go in at an angle. Be good to get electronically height adjustable shocks - but expensive. The price you pay to look good.

Anyway, be interested to see how old everyone is -and how much they pay for insurance. I am 22 - rating 3 and got quoted 2400 from just cars insurance - i've had all my toy cars insuranced with them and I think that was the best price they could give me.

As for repairs, daz_fto - go to midas on the parade Norwood. The mechanics down there are great. I got quoted 500+ to get my clutch installed from 3 different places, and Midas did it for me for $300. One of the guys down there - I think his name is dave knows shitloads about mitsubushi cars.

hear from you guys soon.

luke :)
twistea
Grease Monkey

Post by twistea »

good to have another local fto-er around :D

anyhoo, bout that cruise, if someone can be bothered organising it, then ill make the effort to show up. otherwise ill be tearing around the hills on my bike :mrgreen:
luke

4wd fto

Post by luke »

Having a email conversation with jaustech, though this might be interesting for you guys.

----------------------------------

Anything is possible, however we would have to have a good look at the underside of the FTO to assess how feasible a 4wd conversion would be.

In regards to the engine conversion, there are a few possibilities. It should be possible to use an Evo 4 engine, we would need to source a 4 cyl FTO gearbox and associated parts as I don’t think it will fit to your gearbox (it should be noted that the 4 cyl FTO is just a 1.8 SOHC, and so this gearbox may not be strong enough for the Evo engines power, there may be some other option but I will have to look into it further). However the other option is to use the late model VR4 V6 twin turbo, this is the same familiy of engines as the FTO V6 engine and should be able to be fitted to your car, these engine range in (standard) power output from 240-280ps depending on year.

I would expect a budget of over $10,000 to be required for either conversion, if you want me to work out some more accurate pricing for either conversion let me know.

-------------------------

should be a interesting project... still thinking about it....
GPXXX
Oldtimer

Post by GPXXX »

THE STD FTO GEARBOX WILL ADAPT TO THE EVO ENGINE WITH A CUSTOM CLUTCH - IT HAS BEEN DONE IN JAPAN ALREADY...

BUT YOU MAY REQUIRE CUSTOM MOUNTS FOR THE ENGINE AND CUSTOM EXHAUST MANIFOLDS FOR THE TURBO + CUSTOM PLUMBING.

EITHER WAY EXPECT THE EVO-4 CONVERSION TO BE OVER $10K FOR A VERY BASIC JOB...