People with turbo's

So you want a hairdryer on your FTO? Or do you already have a hairdryer in it? This is the section for it. All other big power projects & forced induction goes here too.

Moderators: IMC, Club Staff

bigpitty1
Mechanic
jedwabna poszewka promocja

People with turbo's

Post by bigpitty1 »

One day in the future when I start earning more money (2nd apprentice mechanic wages aren't that good) I would like to put a turbo on my car.
I just want to ask you guys, where do you hook up the oil and water lines on the turbo to the engine.
bigpitty1
Mechanic

Post by bigpitty1 »

I know there are people here with turbos, I want to know where the water and oil lines connect to the motor, it can't be that much of a secret.
spetz
Oldtimer

Post by spetz »

Almost all cars here are NA
So you are probably asking on the wrong forum.

However, I am not positve where it goes but probably from the block where it goes up from the oil pump. That could be wrong though as it may not give enough oil to the engine. Maybe on the return way?
bigpitty1
Mechanic

Post by bigpitty1 »

thanks for that, I know most of everyone here is NA, but I have looked at other places for this info, it is hard to find, I'm not sure if the oil lines hook up some where on the block or if I need to get a adapter that hooks up where the oil filter goes and relocate the oil filter some where else.
RedlineGX
Grease Monkey

Post by RedlineGX »

I'm doing a setup now. I have a post in this section as well and will put up more pictures today/tomorrow.

For the oil feed line which is under pressure, I used a brass T-bracket and connected from the stock oil pressure sender which is screwed into the engine facing the drivers side wheel by the various belts. So what end into engine...one end into braided hose to turbo and one end has back in the stock sender. ou have to take the wheel and liner off to get to it.

For the return line which is a lot bigger and gravity fed you need to come from the bottom of the turbo and cut a hole and put a bracket into the sump to return it back into the oil pan for the engine to then pick back up. Location of this is crucial cause the hose has to be on a continous downward angle so it returns properly and also the hole in the sump has to be fairly high so its above oil level when the engine is running.
spetz
Oldtimer

Post by spetz »

Wouldn't doing that drop oil pressure going into the engine (top end atleast)?
Which would be bad for NA and even worse for turbo?

And is it from the same feed that you would put a sender for oil temp and pressure gauges?
Nacho
Oldtimer

Post by Nacho »

Best go to a workshop for a lot of support even if you can do some of the labour yourself. They'll advise you what needs to be done.

Keeping the heat down is the biggest problem that seems to be occuring in Jeff and Danny's turbo conversion and you'll most likely need a separate oil cooler and potentially a more efficient radiator. Wildride's FTO has an oil and tranny cooler in front of the radiator bracket.

A weird idea I have which I MAY do in the future is to mount these coolers and maybe even a brake fluid cooler just in front of the rear tyres by cutting into the rear quarter panel and using a Topmix sideskirt to scoop the air into the coolers. Same as the MR2 intake.
khunjeng
Oldtimer

Post by khunjeng »

ya I agree on the whole heat issue.... Looking at the radiator/intercooler setup you def. need some serious front bar setup and ensure your got enough air cooling this is my only concern - but not a big one if your going to spend the $$ then that should be no big deal.
bigpitty1
Mechanic

Post by bigpitty1 »

Thanks for that, with this heating problems I can see on pics of jeffs car has that heat insulating wrap on the rear of the turbo and down, what about doing doing a bit of water/alcohol spray intercooling, I hear people say it helps cool the charger abit, but should keep the intake air temp low and the bit of alcohol adds abit of octane to the fuel.
Nacho
Oldtimer

Post by Nacho »

A custom bonnet with vents is quite effective in releasing heat and isn't overly hard to do. You can always just heat wrap everything like FTO338 did to his air intake.....hehehe...... :wink:
RedlineGX
Grease Monkey

Post by RedlineGX »

spetz wrote:Wouldn't doing that drop oil pressure going into the engine (top end atleast)?
Which would be bad for NA and even worse for turbo?

And is it from the same feed that you would put a sender for oil temp and pressure gauges?
Shouldnt drop it significantly cause the lines isnt running much higher than the head, just over it to the turbo. I just added a about a quarter of a litre for the additional oil needed for the turbo etc. Yes it is the same place you would take for a sender althou yiou would need another t for that and I wouldnt recoomend putting the two t's close together. Probably closer to the turbo.