Mitsubishi FTO TURBO news

So you want a hairdryer on your FTO? Or do you already have a hairdryer in it? This is the section for it. All other big power projects & forced induction goes here too.

Moderators: IMC, Club Staff

shwetang
jedwabna poszewka promocja

Mitsubishi FTO TURBO news

Post by shwetang »

i was wondering whats happening about the rpw turbo kit that was supposed to be out in the market .
Does anyone have any information about it .
Thank you
MattG
Grease Monkey

Post by MattG »

Last I heard it was still being tested - originally it was being sent to the UK to be tested on a customers car there, but I think that fell through so they were looking at testing it on somebodys car in australia.

No news since then, so I guess that is still where it is at.

RPW usually updates us quickly whenever there is any news.

M@
http://www.forensicdata.com.au
The Data Recovery Experts
salacious
Grease Monkey

Post by salacious »

The kit has been sent to the UK and it is being fitted to a GR manual. I was at the garage that is doing the work earlier in the week to get some work done on my own car. I didn't really ask them to much about it.

Brian
hnm738
Grease Monkey

Post by hnm738 »

is there any other options besides turbo

like super charge? for fto?

and with these modifycations it would consume a lot of fuel right?
salacious
Grease Monkey

Post by salacious »

There is a supercharger getting fitted to a FTO in the UK. It isn't finished yet but it shouldn't be much longer. The last time I talked to him it was about 2 weeks ago, he was waiting for a management system from OZ to get it tuned. I don't think it will be cheap to do and consider the expense of insurance and the heavier use of petrol.

Brian
dannyboyau
Veteran Mechanic

Post by dannyboyau »

I get 8 ks to the ltr on mine
salacious
Grease Monkey

Post by salacious »

That better than I thought. It is about 23mpg, I only get on average 25mpg but I tend to do a lot of urban driving and a heavy right foot.

Brian
D-TRAIN
Mechanic

Post by D-TRAIN »

But Danny has a 6a13 turbo with 400bhp FF...!
salacious
Grease Monkey

Post by salacious »

I expected Danny's to be a lot worse.

Brian
dannyboyau
Veteran Mechanic

Post by dannyboyau »

so did i but i checked it over several tank fulls and every time it was just over 8 Kms to the Ltr
GPXXX
Oldtimer

Post by GPXXX »

jerrin wrote:gosh! 8k to a litre means 480ks for a full tank?? 8O
my car only does 420ks to a full tank.....
mehhhh... i've nudged over 550kms per fill (with only 2 litres of Optimax left in the tank!! 8O), and that's with the odd squirt to the redline here n' there... kekekekeke..!!

...but let's not turn this thread into another petrol-related topic! hehehe... ;)
scracy
Grease Monkey

turbo fto

Post by scracy »

how the hell are you getting 400hp????? mine makes around 250kw at 7 psi of boost. what boost pressure are you running? how does your gear box handle that kind of grunt more importantly how does your torque converter cope? i broke mine which is not supprising considering its the weakest point of any auto fto.
elmo
Grease Monkey

danny

Post by elmo »

triple your boost and use a manual gearbox (remember danny has 6a13)
Jeff
Grease Monkey

Post by Jeff »

Scracy, check out the forum 6a13 conversion. Danny has a 2.5l running big boost. He hasn`t been able to keep a clutch though.
Where did you get your turbo done?
Jeff
scracy
Grease Monkey

turbo fto

Post by scracy »

Mine was already turbo charged when i got it ex japan. garret t28bb hi flowed see hpi vol 14. Dont pay too much attention to the info though as half of it is wrong or i have changed it. I have since read the forum on the turbo 6a13 and still cant see how you can make 400hp at the wheels even with 21 pounds of boost. Consider a stock mivec fto makes around 79kw at the wheels (147kw at the flywheel) which equates to around a 46% loss through the drive train. Mine was recently dynod at 135kw at the front wheels (with a rooted torque converter!) which would work out to be around 250kw at the fly wheel. If im correct to get 400hp at the wheels you would need around 750-800hp at the fly wheel!!!! cant see it. Each pound of boost assuming eveything is fuelled right will allow an engine to gain approx 10% upto about 10 psi at which point the hp gain starts to taper of.Even with 21 pounds of boost the heads would have to flow well enough to make 700 plus hp. Same rules apply to turbo power as they do n/a.
salacious
Grease Monkey

Post by salacious »

The FTO loss is nowhere near 46%, even 4WD systems only lose 25% of the flywheel figure to the wheels. Standard losses for 2WD and manual gearboxes are about 15%. If you have 200PS it should be about 170PS at the wheels (about 167bhp). My car was tested on a rolling road and got a 161bhp which isn't too far out. I believe Danny's 402bhp at the wheels this was at 18lb boost. At 12lb boost he got 332.8bhp.

The engine when fitted to a VR4 produces 280bhp at 7psi, for every each additional 1psi you get approx 8bhp. You should be able to take it safely up to 13psi which is just over 320bhp at the flywheel. Maybe Danny's figures are at the flywheel and not at the wheels.

Brian
scracy
Grease Monkey

turbo fto

Post by scracy »

Zoom did a turbo fto project article a while back on a dyno dynamics dyno. It showed that a stock tip auto fto pumps out 79kw at the wheels.The bloke that dynod my fto (he also sets up targa tasmania cars for a little known aussie bloke called peter brock) also reckons that 79kw is a realistic figure as he has done a few of these cars on the same type of dyno. Admitedly autos are far less efficient than a manual box and clutch arangement but i can assure you that an auto will loose at least 30% of power thru the wheels.
salacious
Grease Monkey

Post by salacious »

I do agree that autos will lose a lot more power than manuals. But Danny's car is a manual and I would expect it to have over 300bhp at the wheels when it is producing 400bhp at the flywheel.

Brian
dannyboyau
Veteran Mechanic

Post by dannyboyau »

that is 400 Hp at the wheels