Mitsubishi FTO TURBO news

So you want a hairdryer on your FTO? Or do you already have a hairdryer in it? This is the section for it. All other big power projects & forced induction goes here too.

Moderators: IMC, Club Staff

scracy
Grease Monkey
jedwabna poszewka promocja

Post by scracy »

Thought that was cheap :cry:
<P>HKSFTO-most published fto in aust.</P>
dannyboyau
Veteran Mechanic

Post by dannyboyau »

GPXXX wrote:
scracy wrote:Even $375us is very cheap for a set of forged pistons! I suspect these may simply be a high silicone content piston as they are very cheap, hope im wrong because at that price i might run more boost and see what the gearbox will really handle :wink:
uh, that's USD $375 EACH man, not per set of 6... sorry to rain on your parade, hehehe.. :roll:
did you contact them mate

in the add it says piston kit

what did they say when you contacted them did they say what brand of piston
scracy
Grease Monkey

Post by scracy »

I didnt actually contact them Danny,but i must admit $375us is very cheap for a set of 6! I bought a set of forged mahle pistons for my previous car (2.6 turbo sigma which ran 23psi) and even back then they cost me $1300 and that was for a set of 4, so based on that $375 seems awfully cheap.I dont know how Mikey came up with an each price?
GPXXX
Oldtimer

Post by GPXXX »

hehe, my bad... :oops: just saw the online ordering site again and saw: "Piston Kit - 6A12 78.4mm" so yeah i suppose it's USD$375 per set of 6.. hell, that's the cheapest I've come across and i'm seriously thinking of getting one now! :D

one thing i'm a little weary about though, is that if you read the product description between both sites, it says:
For the high performance enthusiasts who demands the very best, we offer top of the line forged pistons for Honda, Acura and Mitsubishi cars. Built to withstand high heat, high rpm's and high compression associated with turbocharged high performance motors. Complete with wrist pins, keepers, and rings to match, these are a great value.
what i'm really curious about is, why is there such a massive difference in price ($375 vs $635)?? is this one of those dodgy no-name parts that don't last as long as branded items? maybe i should just bite the bullet and buy 2 sets (still works out cheaper) so if something goes wrong *touchwood*, I've got spares handy... :twisted:
dannyboyau
Veteran Mechanic

Post by dannyboyau »

it depends where they are made and what company made them.

the 375 USD ones are probably made in china and then you have to add shipping and taxes

i am getting JE pistons and they will cost me over 1000 USD

as i said before you pay for what you get the 375 USD will not be as good as JE or Ross, I suggest anyone thinking of getting them give them a ring and find out some information about them.
GPXXX
Oldtimer

Post by GPXXX »

dannyboyau wrote:give them a ring and find out some information about them.
what sort of features are we suppose to look out for or what sort of questions should we be asking?
dannyboyau
Veteran Mechanic

Post by dannyboyau »

you need to ask what sort of boost they can handle. I rang them last night and they said 12-14 Lb max.

Just rang another supplier about getting some forged pistons for the 6A12 with compression ratio 8.5:1 he will get back to me with a price.

Please register your interest as the more sets the cheaper.
scracy
Grease Monkey

Post by scracy »

Yeah well if someone organises a group buy for forged pistons with 8.5:1 compression that can handle 15psi then ill be in it! :wink:
ellusion
Grease Monkey

Post by ellusion »

I have just had a chat with RPW and would like to inform you guys that the turbo kit will be made for the GR AND the GPX models....
Mitsiman
Approved FTO Australia Trader

Post by Mitsiman »

Okay update time people - been a long time but here it is.

Firstly to clarify as the above post also did - yes we will be manafacturing turbo kits for both the FTO Mivec and Non Mivec vehicles.

Essentially it will be exactly the same kit as they both use the same stock headers and the only minor difference will be probably the flange fitment to the cat converter.

The latest news from Scotland was that we were finally able to get the pipes back off the test car (Which is what we have been waiting for all this time) from which they will be reproducing for me, rechecking on a car and then sending back to me for production in the future.

If things go well we should be back on track with this project sometime in April / May but I won't say anymore until I have the pipework in my hands.

RPW is now stocking CP Forged pistons for the V6 engines in both stock high compression, low compression (For forged) and also the larger 6A13 engine in both high and low compression.

The RPW Hybrid enigne will be started to be machined and built in its budget format - forged pistons, stock conrods modified, stock Mivec head Ie essentially equivelent ot a 2.0 Mivec factory but instead will be a 2.5l Mivec instead.

Otherwise only other news is we are beginning full production of the mivec and non mivec camshafts, have available exchange ported heads including soon turbo specific and supercharger specific camshafts.

And finally we are also beginning manafacturing of forged conrods for the same engines so over the next two months a lot of FTO stuff will be made available.

So when I do update everyone - you can see we are doing a lot of work. Oh - and just wait word is RPW will soon be releasing some twin throttle body packages :D NO details yet though.
ruchi
Oldtimer

Post by ruchi »

got a rough price guesstimate?
MIVEC is My Friend :D
GPXXX
Oldtimer

Post by GPXXX »

when the kit is made available, does it come with a the Greddy eManage engine management computer already tuned by RPW or would we have to tune it ourselves by another workshop??

and also is it possible to tailor make the kit for different turbo applications, such as a GT25 ballbearing instead of a GT28? This will make it easier for those who have a tight budget so they can choose from a variety of options as a package.

...oh and also interestingly i noticed from your RPW website that the kit does not come with an intercooler - surely this is a necessity worth including into the kit don't you think?
FTOLTD

Post by FTOLTD »

could you tell us the prices for

1. Forged pistons for the V6 engines in both stock high compression, low compression (For forged) and also the larger 6A13 engine in both high and low compression

2.mivec and non mivec camshafts for turbo

3.forged conrods

4. turbo kit
GPXXX
Oldtimer

Post by GPXXX »

NEWSFLASH!

hey peoples, i was searching around for aftermarket pistons this morning but look what i stumbled into by chance:

http://www.turbodiscounters.com/html/tu ... bishi.aspx

It appears that there is a turbo kit for the Galant 6A12 V6 (non MIVEC, which i'm presuming is the same motor as the GR). Price seems quite reasonable too, and from USD$2025 you get the following parts included in the kit:

T25BB Garrett Turbo w/ Internal Wastegate
High Nickel Composite Cast Exhaust Manifold
Down Pipe
Fuel Pressure Regulator
Map Unit (Black Box)
Oil Return Line and Fitting
Air Filter w/ piping

* Note that an intercooler + plumbing is not included in the list of parts above, but there are 2 types of kits available - one which is the Superior kit which comes with the abovementioned parts, and the other which is the 'Extreme' kit at a dearer price (which incl the intercooler)...

what i would like to know however is:

1. do they sell Galant V6s with the same 6A12 (GR) motor in US? if so, does anybody know if the motor still mounted on THEIR passenger side or driver's side? assuming that it is mounted exactly the same as our FTO GRs, then this will come as a big bonus for a majority of FTO owners out there because theoretically it should be a true bolt-on kit...

2. are "High Nickel Composite Cast Exhaust Manifold" better than tubular stainless steel in one way or another?

3. does it come with only one or both exhaust manifolds (front & rear) for the turbo? (since it only comes with 1 turbo, i'm assuming it's a branching pipe of some sort??)
Black_FTOGPX
Mechanic

Post by Black_FTOGPX »

Nice find :D And very cheap
d_stroy_r
Mechanic

Post by d_stroy_r »

specs on galant v6:
ENGINE

Displacement, cc 1998
Engine model 6A12
Max.power (Net), kw(PS)/rpm 145 ps (106.65 kw) / 6000 rpm
Max.torque(Net), N*m(kg*m)/rpm 18.5 kg*m (181.42 N*m) / 4500 rpm
Power density 8.34
Engine type V type 6 cylinder SOHC24 valve
Engine information
Fuel system ECI-MULTI (electrically controlled gasoline injection)
Turbocharger No
Fuel type Unleaded regular gasoline
LEV system (Low emission vehicle) No
Compression ratio 9.5
Bore, mm 78.4
Stroke, mm 69
Final gear ratio
Fuel consumption at 10-15 modes, l/100km 7.5
Fuel consumption at 60 km/h, l/100km
FTO338
Oldtimer

Post by FTO338 »

Hey d_stroy_r, is that the Jap spec or the U.S spec?? Cause japanese like to play around with car specs when they send it to U.S

eg: Evo, WRX STI, RX8,

Anyway i think the most important things are like mikey said which side does their Galant's motor mounted.
DISCLAIMER: The above text is the personal opinion of the author and does not represent the indisputable truth. The author is not responsible for any deaths, injuries or mental illness caused by the above statments.
dannyboyau
Veteran Mechanic

Post by dannyboyau »

the 6A12 galant was mounted with the gearbox on the drivers side
GPXXX
Oldtimer

Post by GPXXX »

dannyboyau wrote:the 6A12 galant was mounted with the gearbox on the drivers side
is that for Jap spec or US spec variants of the Galant? because remember their driving position is on the our passenger side, so maybe they might move the engine orientation the other way to accomodate the gearbox the other way round?? ...umm, am i making any sense at all here?? LoL... :?
d_stroy_r
Mechanic

Post by d_stroy_r »