Mitsubishi FTO TURBO news

So you want a hairdryer on your FTO? Or do you already have a hairdryer in it? This is the section for it. All other big power projects & forced induction goes here too.

Moderators: IMC, Club Staff

Black_FTOGPX
Mechanic
jedwabna poszewka promocja

Post by Black_FTOGPX »

This is a rip off, cause all of the e-mail’s I wrote to RPW about this, I clearly stated that my car was a GPX.

They could have just said it wasn’t going to be made for the GPX, instead of getting my hopes up.
:x
ruchi
Oldtimer

Post by ruchi »

You might find that they changed their mind and found it easier to do the turbo work for a non-Mivec engine.
FTO338
Oldtimer

Post by FTO338 »

Well looks like Blk-Jet (Frank) is our last hope for a GPX turbo kit!!!!

So Frank please let us know how u go!!!! As now u got more potential customer & hopefully price will drop cause of that!!!!
DISCLAIMER: The above text is the personal opinion of the author and does not represent the indisputable truth. The author is not responsible for any deaths, injuries or mental illness caused by the above statments.
GPXXX
Oldtimer

Post by GPXXX »

this may come to you as cold comfort for some, but I think Frank may have abandoned the turbo project because he wants to go the NA route now...

for what it's worth, I know Ivan from RPM Performance in Adelaide has done numerous turbo conversions on FTOs therefore they should have an idea on how to design the exhaust manifolds for the turbo etc... if you're lucky they could have one already made available in stock...

as long as you have the exhaust manifolds made up, the rest should make it easy for any capable workshop - just bolt on the turbo, get some plumbing done and tune the sucker (and hope nothing blows up).
MarkFTO
Apprentice

Post by MarkFTO »

I would imagine if you wanted to turbo a GPX you could modify the GR turbo kit from RPW. This would provide all the important parts with regard to the piping from the manifolds etc leaving you with a few problems.
The first and most important would be the use of a MAP sensor in the GPX. Id imagine if this was changed with the inclusion of a standalone ECU this could be used to measure the increased airpressure in the manifold and adjust fueling accordingly. The RPW kit comes with larger injectors i believe which would sort the issue of maxing out injector duty cycle on standards and its a better solution to adding a 7th injector.

Next you are left with the control of the MIVEC cam profile change. I would imagine this would be able to be controlled by the new ECU too. This could be handy in providing a higher lift and duration as the turbo comes on boost. Id imagine this would see the MIVEC point lowered by quite a margin.

Finally it would just be a case of getting the thing mapped and messing around with the cam changeover to maximise power.

Its something im planning on looking at in a few months when i have some more time on my hands... sounds interesting.

Hopefully most of that made sense, but its 1am and ive had a long day, so try and ignore me if ive just talked a load of nonsense.

//\\//\\ark
Blk-Jet
Grease Monkey

Post by Blk-Jet »

Hey all,

Mickey was right in saying that for now the turbo route has stopped, but just for now that is untill i get some more time. The other reasons include:

A. I get my heads back from being ported and polished and want to put the engine back together and dyno the thing so i can post up info and performance hchanges for you guys to look at etc.

B. Time!

It takes ages to design and fabricate things for the fto because A. It's tricky cuase there ain't much room to work with. and B. I'm not working Full-Time atm. So the machines needed are currently only available to me through night sh*t, and having a gf doesn't help in clearing up spare time!

Once the heads come back i'm not placing new standard head gaskets on but opting for the max. decompression plates I can get from RPW. The main reason for this is again time. I don't want to have to strip the engine down again in 4 months to fit a turbo gasket in when I can do it now and tune the Halteck ecu for more advance etc. This will still give sound results for those wanting only to port there heads.

In the mean time, the Throttle body, Intake plenum, runners etc have all been match ported to each other for much better flow velocity. The Haltech will go in as soon as the engine is put back in etc.

We are designing headers ffor the FTO which is the main time consuming part. You guys are right when saying that "Once the headers are made and a jig is fabricated for it's production then it's a simple case of bolt that turbo and etc."

For those of you wanted performance asap, i'll keep you posted on everything I do. THe turbo kit is alive and if anyone has any questions please feel free to contact me on my email address frank_mileto@yahoo.com.au

Thanks

Frank
dannyboyau
Veteran Mechanic

Post by dannyboyau »

while you got the heads off why dont you put some cheap forged pistons in there that will change the compression ratio and will be stronger so you can push the boost up past 7 psi. I assure you that you will wish you did later once you get used to the extra power of 7 psi.

I ran mine on 12 psi for awhile and all i wanted to do was put it back to 18 psi.

Once you get used to the extra power you will want more and doing the pistons now while the engine is in pieces will be much cheaper.

I seen some places selling forgies for the 6A12 while looking for pistons for my 6A13 will try and find the links if you are interested.
GPXXX
Oldtimer

Post by GPXXX »

how much for a set of 6A12 forgies? Might come in handy when you try to increase the rev ceiling to 9500rpm (with 150hp NOS) hehe... hmmm, any titanium valvesprings lying around somewhere?? :twisted:
scracy
Grease Monkey

Post by scracy »

You only need to make one exhaust manifold to turbo an fto (which in my case bolts to the existing exhaust manifold,fairly simple to do a high mount installation. As for fuelling the standard ecu will work in conjunction with a fuel cut defencer and an extra injector,not that differcult to do either (though in australia an aftermarket ecu or larger injectors may be cheaper?) I dont why turboing the mivec motor is that hard, there are quite a few turbo integra type r around :? I have offered to meet frank and show him how mine has been done, but he didnt respond.
<P>HKSFTO-most published fto in aust.</P>
Blk-Jet
Grease Monkey

Post by Blk-Jet »

Hey scracy,

I feel bad now. I don't remember you askling me that? by all means, if you could spare an hour or so to come down or we can come to you and examine your beat, this will make like much easier! We can solve a lot of problems and ideas we have etc.

I've been trying to chase somw pistons around but couldn't find anythying! If I did i'd get my crank balances and rods balanced and shot peened, but it's not worth it if keepin the original pistons. So if you can remember your links and/or prices that would be great!

Thanks
GPXXX
Oldtimer

Post by GPXXX »

scracy wrote:...I dont know why turboing the mivec motor is that hard, there are quite a few turbo integra type r around :?
I suppose it's easier to turbo Type-R motors because they are an 'inline' configuration which makes things relatively simpler in terms of designing an exhaust manifold.

the FTO however has a V-configuration engine, and I suppose building exhaust manifolds for them would be harder because you have to design the plumbing from both banks to suit, but it seems that someone is smart enough to come up with an idea like Scracy's current setup...

i'd be interested to see the single exhaust manifold design on yours too Scracy... Are you coming to the mini meet next weekend?
dannyboyau
Veteran Mechanic

Post by dannyboyau »

scracy
Grease Monkey

Post by scracy »

Frank i actually sent you a pm around xmas time so we could meet up,but it seems pms sometimes go astray as a mate of mine sent me one that i never got either :? anyway i should be able to come to the mini meet so maybe we could catch up then?
GPXXX
Oldtimer

Post by GPXXX »

hmmm, there's a huge difference between $375 each and $635! (and I suppose they're not AUD either!) 8O

...are all forged pistons made as equal or are there differences in forge quality across various brands??
scracy
Grease Monkey

Post by scracy »

Even $375us is very cheap for a set of forged pistons! I suspect these may simply be a high silicone content piston as they are very cheap, hope im wrong because at that price i might run more boost and see what the gearbox will really handle :wink:
Blk-Jet
Grease Monkey

Post by Blk-Jet »

hey scracy, u got a tiptronic or manual?

I'm thinking about the forgies, but whats the point if you can't raise boost past 7psi cause of the tranny?
Blaze
Apprentice

Post by Blaze »

scracy wrote:You only need to make one exhaust manifold to turbo an fto (which in my case bolts to the existing exhaust manifold,fairly simple to do a high mount installation.
Got an idea, not sure if anyone has done this. You might actually modify both front and rear exhaust manifolds for A TWIN TURBO, as well as intake manifolds which come front the intercooler. Ofcourse you need to take into account all other system (i.e fueling or even the room under bonnet) in order to incorporate each other.
Then, here comes .... the Twin Turbo FTO, anyone interrested to start off...
dannyboyau
Veteran Mechanic

Post by dannyboyau »

GPXXX wrote:

hmmm, there's a huge difference between $375 each and $635! (and I suppose they're not AUD either!) 8O

...are all forged pistons made as equal or are there differences in forge quality across various brands??
you could get a set of custom JE for around a grand US.

there can be a lot of differance in quality and price, sometimes it is just that the factory might be situated in CHINA and the labour is very cheap or it is not the best quality so they are cheaper.

you pay for what you get some times the cheapest price is not the best. :!:
scracy
Grease Monkey

Post by scracy »

Ive got a tip frank,but i think 10psi or so would probably be ok.
GPXXX
Oldtimer

Post by GPXXX »

scracy wrote:Even $375us is very cheap for a set of forged pistons! I suspect these may simply be a high silicone content piston as they are very cheap, hope im wrong because at that price i might run more boost and see what the gearbox will really handle :wink:
uh, that's USD $375 EACH man, not per set of 6... sorry to rain on your parade, hehehe.. :roll: