MIVEC fails to engage

This forum is for technical discussions on anything that will make your car handle better or go faster.

Moderators: IMC, Club Staff

lal
Grease Monkey
jedwabna poszewka promocja

MIVEC fails to engage

Post by lal »

i've got a 95 GPX... i was leaving work and decided to give her a go off the lights... to my horror i heard the most hearbreaking sound... when I got to 6000 rpm... the engine was choking...
this really scared me :cry: but later on I gave her another go and she was ok...

I ASSUME it was because the engine was not ready (not warm enough)... coz the low revs was ok... I just want to get confirmation from others if this is the case... have you guys done/experienced this?? MIVEC doesn't work when the engine is not hot enough?
ray23

Post by ray23 »

yah..no doubt your engine was not warm enough..hehe..this happened to me before...
GPXXX
Oldtimer

Post by GPXXX »

yeh, sounds like the engine is not warm enough.... but it shouldn't choke so bad though.
smorison
The Godfather

Post by smorison »

haahah yeah don't you hate when that happens... its the variable rev limiter coming into effect. when the engine's cold you can't go about about 6k...

heheh first time is always a "WHAT THE F...." experience
lal
Grease Monkey

Post by lal »

you said it... it scared me!! :)
thanks for the confirmation guys... at least I know for sure that there's nothing wrong with my engine :oops:
Dr_Jones
Veteran Mechanic

Post by Dr_Jones »

There may be something wrong if you continue to do this without the car being properly warmed up. Take it easy for ten to fifteen.
leebroozlee

Post by leebroozlee »

just out of curiosity, how long had the car been running when u did this?
MintFTO
Apprentice

Post by MintFTO »

If you want to keep your engine running properly for any great length of time let her warm up to operating temp first!

I dunno about the rest of u guys but i tend to keep my car below around 3k until its warm.
lal
Grease Monkey

Post by lal »

the car was probably running no more than 5 minutes... the needle was more than a quarter way up, almost half way... but i won't be doing that again.... :)
D-TRAIN
Mechanic

Post by D-TRAIN »

MintFTO wrote:If you want to keep your engine running properly for any great length of time let her warm up to operating temp first!

I dunno about the rest of u guys but i tend to keep my car below around 3k until its warm.
This rule should just apply to any other car, not just an FTO.
d_stroy_r
Mechanic

Post by d_stroy_r »

i have a water gauge, so i take it easy until it reaches a certain point. After that its pure joy.............well until it reaches too high, which i let it cool down and then go again :D

I recommend it to any fto owner...... it could save you a lot of money later on.
Dr_Jones
Veteran Mechanic

Post by Dr_Jones »

It's the oil temp you want to be right before you go revving hard.
elmo
Grease Monkey

temps

Post by elmo »

The main reason you have to warm an engine is so the tolerances are correct in the bores and bearings etc, cause the metal expands as it warms and makes a nice tight fit, so to speak. If the bearing etc isn't warm it will be a little loose and add to your wear.
Warming engines up is almost obsolete, although not unessecarry. It comes from the days of cast iron blocks, when the negine needed to be warm for the correct compression and oil seal. These days the all alloy motors like we've got warm up more evenly and have higher tolerances so they run good when cold.
Don't get me wrong, you should not drive your car hard till its warm, but it is not as important as a few years ago, with older cars...
d_stroy_r
Mechanic

Post by d_stroy_r »

i got a oil temp too, but i use the water more than the oil.
d_stroy_r
Mechanic

Post by d_stroy_r »

i got a oil temp too, but i use the water more than the oil.