Head Unit Bracket

This forum discusses anything to do with your In Car Entertainment requirements such as. Stereo's, TV screens, Speakers, Navigation Systems, etc

Moderators: IMC, Club Staff

TheSentry
Grease Monkey
jedwabna poszewka promocja

Head Unit Bracket

Post by TheSentry »

Alright, I've just replaced the cheap no longer working head unit that came with my car to a JVC one. Now everything works fine, except for the fact that it doesn't fit right at all. The cheapo head unit fit fine and also had room for a plastic pocket underneath it, but the shocking thing was that this was achieved by using a pair of metal brackets not made for the FTO. The screw holes were bent to fit it in there, and it still didn't fit so they forced it in causing scratches to the plastic all over the shop.

Below are some pictures of what the fitting of the HU currently looks like. It was the best I could do using this dodgy bracket. Any help on where I can get a proper bracket, or any alternative that u guys used would be much appreciated. Thanks.

GPXXX
Oldtimer

Post by GPXXX »

damn, i'm a little nervous about my new H/U too (Panasonic CQDF983W MP3 deck).... My car originally came with a dbl-din deck so i took it off once and turns out that there were no brackets - just some holes for the deck to bolt on the front (which is covered by the console)....

where in Melbourne can you get custom brackets done???
TheSentry
Grease Monkey

Post by TheSentry »

I've heard that places like auto barn sell mounting brackets so I might give them a look. I assume they'd be a generic fit though, and I've got no idea how they'd work in the FTO.
Daz_FTO
Grease Monkey

Post by Daz_FTO »

Mine came with a tape unit and plastic insert below it. I could post a picture of the mounting bracket it uses if you want...drop me an email if you want to see a pic of it - i will run out and take a pic of it. It appears to be a very generic looking piece of metal that you may or may not find on any other lancer or magna. Actually it looks similar in shape to the bracket i had in my previous car ('83 corolla) It is a very simple looking triangular shaped bracket.

http://home.iprimus.com.au/crimsonchicken/

You can see my console setup by following that link. My pioneer deck perfectly fine. I am working on the centre console section still, there is a very small (CD width) gap above the pioneer deck. I have sent a few cd's down that path in the darker hours :( annoying.
GPXXX
Oldtimer

Post by GPXXX »

OK, i've got my new single-DIN MP3 deck fitted and basically i'm quite happy with the end result...

I retained the original brackets used on the old dbl-DIN deck and fitted it to my new MP3 deck, which bolts into place like a dream. With the spare DIN, i got a new CD ejectably-tray rack from Autobarn for $40 which slots into a spare tray (ripped out from my old PoS Laner). It needed slight modification to make it fit, and the whole lot screwed into place like a dream...

Pics to come tonight - stay tuned!
GPXXX
Oldtimer

Post by GPXXX »

as promised - VOILA! :D
G_A_V
Veteran Mechanic

Post by G_A_V »

nice head unit, now much ?? also are thye just cd drawers bellow it ?
GPXXX
Oldtimer

Post by GPXXX »

Got the head deck for $550 (mate's rates).

The CD trays below that are spring-action ejectable ones..
TheSentry
Grease Monkey

Post by TheSentry »

Looking good mate. That is one spiffy looking HU and the CD tray below is a nice addition.

I still have to work out the problem with mounting my HU. Been a bit lazy of late. :lol:
payaya
Oldtimer

Post by payaya »

mate i've solved your problems! when my head unit got stolen they took the original brackets.

So i found some that are for FTO's you can get them from mitsubishi dealers.

The product codes are: MB-874343 and MB-874344

thats for left and right.

They are 15 bucks each.

Ring a mitsubishi dealer ask them if they have any, if not ask them which dealer has.

If not you can resort to Preston motors in cambellfield melbourne, they have the only two sets left in victoria :)