Apexi' Airfilter..sucking noise

This forum is for technical discussions on anything that will make your car handle better or go faster.

Moderators: IMC, Club Staff

Oragami
Apprentice
jedwabna poszewka promocja

Apexi' Airfilter..sucking noise

Post by Oragami »

Hi all,

I got an Apexi' airfilter in me FTO..it's making an annoying noise when my car is stationary..and it makes a really loud noise like BOV when i step on the gas.
Anybody have a clue about it? Or does the airfilter just need cleaning? How do i go about cleaning it?

Cheers,
Oragami
D-TRAIN
Mechanic

Post by D-TRAIN »

Sounds like normal pod-filter intake noise to me. It will get especially loud as it sucks in the air as you have the foot down.

As for cleaning, if the element is similar to those of K&N "paper-based" filters, there's an oil-based cleaner you could use. I think MattG from this forum might be able to help you out there.
lesfto
Apprentice

Post by lesfto »

It's not because it's dirty... that's the normal sound a cone air filter makes... Thought it sounds pretty cool actually :)
GPXXX
Oldtimer

Post by GPXXX »

can you define 'annoying noise' when the car is stationary? it shouldn't make a loud noise when your car is idle...

but the sucking noise as you jab the throttle is what we all love - the induction roar from the air filter. You get that with every pod filters, although some sounds are different between filters...

by the way, it's not exactly like a BoV, kinda more like a turbo spooling, hehehehe... :D
Last edited by GPXXX on Sat Oct 04, 2003 11:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
MattG
Grease Monkey

Post by MattG »

The standard air intake box supresses a lot of noise associated with air intake. By installing a pod filter you get a lot more air being sucked in, and as a result you also get a lot more noise.
When you have the accelerator to the floor you should get a nice loud engine roar. When you turn the car off you should be able to hear a short noise like the car is going *sigh*.

This is normal.

I have a K&N filter cleaner kit for sale (spray can type). Although you can also pic these up at a lot of car places eg repco etc.

M@
http://www.forensicdata.com.au
The Data Recovery Experts
Oragami
Apprentice

Post by Oragami »

GPXXX wrote:can you define 'annoying noise' when the car is stationary? it shouldn't make a loud noise when your car is idle...

but the sucking noise as you jab the throttle is what we all love - the induction roar from the air filter. You get that with every pod filters, although some sounds are different between filters...

by the way, it's not exactly like a BoV, kinda more like a turbo spooling, hehehehe... :D

Hmm.. it sounds like "Weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee.....", i do get the induction roar as i jab the throttle..but different one when stationary.
It( the "weeeeee..") noise doesn't come on all the time, only does it once in a while..funny..

Any clues? anyone please?

Cheers,
Oragami
MattG
Grease Monkey

Post by MattG »

It could be that you have a small gap or break in your intake somewhere in the piping between the air filter and the throttle body.

I guess it is a bit like a when you loosen the pipe on a vacuum cleaner a little bit, all the air gets sucked through a tiny hole and you get a real high pitched noise.

If it is happening at heavy throttle (ie when the car sucks the most) it would make sense.

Check all your connections on the pipework. If you have got a clamp over a hose make sure that it is really tight and you don't have small gaps.

M@
Oragami
Apprentice

Post by Oragami »

MattG wrote:It could be that you have a small gap or break in your intake somewhere in the piping between the air filter and the throttle body.

I guess it is a bit like a when you loosen the pipe on a vacuum cleaner a little bit, all the air gets sucked through a tiny hole and you get a real high pitched noise.

If it is happening at heavy throttle (ie when the car sucks the most) it would make sense.

Check all your connections on the pipework. If you have got a clamp over a hose make sure that it is really tight and you don't have small gaps.

M@
Thank Matt! I'll give a check

Cheers,
Oragami
leebroozlee

Post by leebroozlee »

Oragami wrote:Hmm.. it sounds like "Weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee.....", i do get the induction roar as i jab the throttle..but different one when stationary.
It( the "weeeeee..") noise doesn't come on all the time, only does it once in a while..funny..

Hello

It sounds like it's your radiator fan turning on to cool things down.
If this is what it is, it's normal, especially if the car is stationary (ie no air rushing past to cool things down naturally).

Hopefully it's not a bent mojo..that would be expensive as hell to fix.

Good luck :)
Oragami
Apprentice

Post by Oragami »

leebroozlee wrote:
Oragami wrote:Hmm.. it sounds like "Weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee.....", i do get the induction roar as i jab the throttle..but different one when stationary.

Hello

It sounds like it's your radiator fan turning on to cool things down.
If this is what it is, it's normal, especially if the car is stationary (ie no air rushing past to cool things down naturally).

Hopefully it's not a bent mojo..that would be expensive as hell to fix.

Good luck :)

What's a bent mojo, mate??
hnm738
Grease Monkey

Post by hnm738 »

hi there i just got an itg airfilter installed

i cant really tell the different but my engine gets really loud like twice or three times louder than usual when it hits mivec is that right?
kni8ht
Apprentice

Post by kni8ht »

how much that cost ya and is it easy to install hmm738 ??
hnm738
Grease Monkey

Post by hnm738 »

215$ 2mins to install maybe 1min very fast

thats a 90mm diameter
hnm738
Grease Monkey

Post by hnm738 »

its very very light also
kni8ht
Apprentice

Post by kni8ht »

thanks for the info hmm738, I'm planning to get one for my GPX, but have not decided which to get yet.

Does anyone here got an Air filter installed which is not loud during normal run and make a deep sound??

I checked the prevous post in the forum, but was not able to get those details..
MattG
Grease Monkey

Post by MattG »

hnm738 wrote:hi there i just got an itg airfilter installed

i cant really tell the different but my engine gets really loud like twice or three times louder than usual when it hits mivec is that right?

Yes. As the pod type air filters allow a greater airflow and as they are not enclosed in an airbox, they are louder than normal. The harder you accelerate the louder they get.

During light acceleration and when idling they sound pretty much the same as normal.

M@
hnm738
Grease Monkey

Post by hnm738 »

well my itg has a very deep sound in normal run and not loud at all
only gets loud when you get into mivec

and also the size of my airfilter is much much bigger than k&n filters
TimmyD
Mechanic

Post by TimmyD »

hnm738 wrote:hi there i just got an itg airfilter installed

Hey,
ive only had my GPX MIVEC for a couple of days (Havent driven it on my own yet because no insurance...yet..)
BUT what do you mean "When it hits mivec"?? i just thought mivec was the engine type and GPX is chassis type... but i think im mistaken, Could you enlighten me about what they are... :P

P.S sory for hijacking ye thread. lol

Cheers
Tim