Been shopping again

From Ferrari's to Fiats, it happens in here.

Moderators: IMC, Club Staff

Bennoz
National President
jedwabna poszewka promocja

Been shopping again

Post by Bennoz »

For the mini this time, but thought you folks would like to see :D

1.5:1 Alloy roller rocker assembly from the UK. 1.5:1 meaning a ratio of camlift = 1, ratio of valve depression = 1.5 x the camlift, giving longer duration of opening of the valves. More fuel in, more exhaust out. If only they made them for FTOs :(

spetz
Oldtimer

Post by spetz »

Nice

How much did it set you back?
Bennoz
National President

Post by Bennoz »

Was 230 quid, so about 520 Aus... not cheap, but a very nice bit of machined alloys.
spetz
Oldtimer

Post by spetz »

So basically all it does is alter the "ratio" of the cam lobes to what actually happens to the valves?

So you use your original cam but now instead of like 1:1 it's 1:1.5?

How much power do you expect to gain?
Bennoz
National President

Post by Bennoz »

Thats right, so for examples sake - if the cam lift was 10mm, the distance the valve is depressed is 15mm.

The stock mini rockers have a 1.3:1 ratio. I already had a set of 1.5:1's on it, but they were a steel, copper bushed set. These new alloy rockers are both lighter & are mounted to the shaft via needle roller bearings - rather than copper bushes. Thus increasing the valve return speed and reducing load on the shaft.

If I went from stock to these I'd expect to see maybe 4-5hp gain & the lifespan of the engine (valve train in particular) increase by quite a bit.
As I run 12:1 compression ratio (on av-gas), oversize valves with heavy duty double valve springs, and a pretty extreme cam - this unit really eases up the pressures on the top of the motor, whilst giving the better breathing duration.

The ease of adjusting the tappets with these is also much better.
Bennoz
National President

Post by Bennoz »

Sorry for digging this thread up again, but I though you performance oriented people might like these new mini bits :)

A nice new semi helical cut 3.44:1 final drive / crown wheel gearing set & stub axles to suit my new cam & pawl type LSD. Its the last bits I need to get her on the road :)

The difference between a semi helical cut final drive gear & a full helical cut. A straight cut gear would of course have the teeth directly horizontal to the gear. This is going to be a much noiser setup, but much better so far as traction goes on this little car on the track.

And a couple of happy snaps of the garage! 2 engines being worked on lol. My baby all covered in dust & sh*t too...

Camo
Grease Monkey

Post by Camo »

One of the best movies was that one set in NZ where the guy steals a mini then sells the parts as he goes to get more money.

Gold!

Good work on the parts, look forward to seeing some pics of her when she is all fixed up!
Nacho
Oldtimer

Post by Nacho »

Mate I was expecting more empty beer bottles in that garage. Is it really yours? :lol:
You never get a second chance to make a first impression.
FTO338
Oldtimer

Post by FTO338 »

He chuck all the empty bottles & cans inside the mini before he took the pic :wink:
DISCLAIMER: The above text is the personal opinion of the author and does not represent the indisputable truth. The author is not responsible for any deaths, injuries or mental illness caused by the above statments.
Bennoz
National President

Post by Bennoz »

lol yes its really mine.

Believe it or not I tend not to drink to much when putting an engine together! Kinda requires concentration & a steady hand.
SG
Veteran Mechanic

Post by SG »

Bennoz wrote:Thats right, so for examples sake - if the cam lift was 10mm, the distance the valve is depressed is 15mm.
would you need to run a better type of fuel if your letting more air and fuel in or is it just letting in equal amounts of both, only more?
Bennoz
National President

Post by Bennoz »

I do. By the time the air & fuel go in the mixture is already done by the carby - but yes, it allows more mixture to go in. Plus the fact that it runs 12.5:1 compression, she primarily runs on av-gas.
bigpitty1
Mechanic

Post by bigpitty1 »

have you got any other plans with the mini, doing the suspenion up, changing the carby etc.

Looks like a neat project, I reacon it will be awesome when completed 8)
sublime19
Sooty!

Post by sublime19 »

damn man.. i still cant get over your mini doing 4.8 seconds 8O
I have to work - People on the dole depend on me.
Bennoz wrote:Meet Subby. The class leader & originator of post whoring... Although most of Subbys posts have 'content' :lol:
Bennoz wrote:They especially hate bonnets, they frisbee across the road & behead a pedestrian.
Bennoz
National President

Post by Bennoz »

bigpitty1 wrote:have you got any other plans with the mini, doing the suspenion up, changing the carby etc.

Looks like a neat project, I reacon it will be awesome when completed 8)
Its a wicked little car. Dont get me started on the mod list.... she has the front suspension out of an XJ6 jag, carby is a 45mm DCOE Weber. Runs gas... 12.89 quarter. I'll be taking it to the track with the FTO closer to christmas :)
jonowong
Oldtimer

Post by jonowong »

while your driving the mini can i take your fto onto the track
bigpitty1
Mechanic

Post by bigpitty1 »

12.89, thats awesome 8)
fto617
Veteran Mechanic

Post by fto617 »

great job ben!
past ride : FTO gpx with lots of bling bling
Current ride: EVO 8 with the MOST CARBON IN AUSTRALIA....206KW AT ALL WHEELS
sublime19
Sooty!

Re: Been shopping again

Post by sublime19 »

Congrats!
I have to work - People on the dole depend on me.
Bennoz wrote:Meet Subby. The class leader & originator of post whoring... Although most of Subbys posts have 'content' :lol:
Bennoz wrote:They especially hate bonnets, they frisbee across the road & behead a pedestrian.
spetz
Oldtimer

Re: Been shopping again

Post by spetz »

Did you say 12.89 quarter? 8O