rear wiper missing??

This forum discusses anything to do with your In Car Entertainment requirements such as. Stereo's, TV screens, Speakers, Navigation Systems, etc

Moderators: IMC, Club Staff

lawrencetlc
Grease Monkey
jedwabna poszewka promocja

rear wiper missing??

Post by lawrencetlc »

Hi,

I am new here, and I just bought a FTO weeks ago, and everything is going very well until one day it rained.

I discover that there's no rear wiper in my FTO (GPX), but when I search on the internet, there're some FTOs with rear wipers and some without. I open the rear boot of the car and i found two left-over wires which I am not sure whether it is for the wiper motor or not.

When i bought the FTO, the car has an amplifier and two 6X9 stereo speakers at the rear seats, so i wonder if the rear wiper motor is taken off for the reason of fixing the speakers?

and also, is there a way to get a rear wiper motor and also the assembly parts in australia so that i can have a clearer vision of the rear mirrors when it is a rainy night?

Thanks
Dr_Jones
Veteran Mechanic

Post by Dr_Jones »

I have the wires and no rear wiper and I like it that way. Is there any real need to see what's behind you anyway...haha.
bigpitty1
Mechanic

Post by bigpitty1 »

I think that the rear wiper is an option when the car was bought brand new, the FTO comes with 6" speakers standard but if you remove the metal plate there is a hole there to fit 6x9" speakers there so there is no modifications needed to put them in.

You probabaly could get all the parts, but I think you might need to get a new rear window, motor, wiper arm and mabe a switch aswell.
khunjeng
Oldtimer

Post by khunjeng »

I think the rear wiper sucks and wish I didn't have it...but then sometimes its useful...so I kept it...I think I might rip it off in the future...
FTO338
Oldtimer

Post by FTO338 »

khunjeng wrote:I think the rear wiper sucks and wish I didn't have it...but then sometimes its useful...so I kept it...I think I might rip it off in the future...
If you do chris, i swap you eheheh cause i want a rear wiper as i'm a blind old bat these days ahahaha. If you just rip it out, u leave a hole, so its wise to swap the rear windscreen with the one thats original with no hole like mine :wink:
DISCLAIMER: The above text is the personal opinion of the author and does not represent the indisputable truth. The author is not responsible for any deaths, injuries or mental illness caused by the above statments.
Supplanter
Forum Moderator

Post by Supplanter »

The rear wiper is an option, I am pretty sure the rear windscreen is dfferent between the 2, so you would need to change the windscreen if you wanted to put a rear wiper in... I don't like the idea of putting a big hole in the windscreen you have so that you can install a wiper :?
LED ALL the things.
lawrencetlc
Grease Monkey

Post by lawrencetlc »

khunjeng wrote:I think the rear wiper sucks and wish I didn't have it...but then sometimes its useful...so I kept it...I think I might rip it off in the future...
hey, if you would like to rip it off in the future, dont forget to let me know ya. the wiper doesnt look that good but it is quite useful especially in heavy rains at night. without the wiper its like total darkness behind with water flowing down the screens, its quite scary sometimes...

anyway, another question. any expert of the light bulb here can tell me what's the standard luminous flux (colour temp) of the standard FTO HB4 9006 and HB3 9005?

I would like to get a new pair of lights. Can I install two 80w light for me low beams and 100w for my high beams? is it legal to do so?

Thanks ya :)

Lawrence
FTO338
Oldtimer

Post by FTO338 »

Are you after Lumens or Colour Temperature? Because they are different things.

As you can see the the higher the temperature the lower the lumens. Which lots of people getting mixed up with.

If you want to run a higher watt globes, you need to get a proper relay kits or you be risking burning all your wires & the header for the head lights
DISCLAIMER: The above text is the personal opinion of the author and does not represent the indisputable truth. The author is not responsible for any deaths, injuries or mental illness caused by the above statments.
khunjeng
Oldtimer

Post by khunjeng »

that reminds me RnBBoi was gonna sell me some new bulbs he had spare....

btw...with the wiper...I won't rip it off..too much hassel.. and a new back window costs a fair bit.
Nacho
Oldtimer

Post by Nacho »

Come on if you leave the hole in the rear windscreen it will create a higher compression in the car therefore increasing power by at least 50kW at the wheels!!!! :lol:
FTO338
Oldtimer

Post by FTO338 »

khunjeng wrote:that reminds me RnBBoi was gonna sell me some new bulbs he had spare....

btw...with the wiper...I won't rip it off..too much hassel.. and a new back window costs a fair bit.
Like i said i swap you hehehehe, at my cost :wink:
lawrencetlc
Grease Monkey

Post by lawrencetlc »

Oh, ic...

so, any comments if i would like to buy a pair of bulbs from ebay which costs like less than 30 bucks? are they as good as they appear to be in the ad? there are many bulbs available which indicate their specs, like 12v, 60w, 4300k, and so on and so on... are they reliable?

thanks for the reply :wink:

Lawrence
FTO338
Oldtimer

Post by FTO338 »

Well i guess it depends on your lucky, you can pick up some good stuff from ebay, but you can also pick up some super crap products as well.

The only guideline you have is the feedback on the same item you going to buy. So look at the seller feedback & seach for the same item you going to buy & see what other have to say.
lawrencetlc
Grease Monkey

Post by lawrencetlc »

i have found this... wonder if its helpful, for myself and also for you guys.. hehe...

anyway, so do you mean that i can only install a normal 60w bulb but not 80w bulb? how much is the conversion kit? and also, i thought the conversion kit is for HID conversion but what if i just wanna change to a higher watt halogen bulb?

and also what's the difference between halogen and xenon bulbs? which one are brighter and which one saves more energy?

Thanks.
FTO338
Oldtimer

Post by FTO338 »

You can install an 80w but like I said, u better put a relay kits.

Real Xenon bulbs are around $250-300 & they fit HID kits only. Lots of "marketing" ppl use the Xenon wording to suck ppl in thinking it give out the same brightness as the real Xenon.

It doesn't matter what the sticker on the products said, in reality Halogen bulbs are never going to be as bright as HID/real Xenon headlights. And they are the one which truly use less voltage.
lawrencetlc
Grease Monkey

Post by lawrencetlc »

then what is a relay kit? and how much do they cost normally? can i get one from ebay as well? is it same with "HID conversion kit"?

Thanks
FTO338
Oldtimer

Post by FTO338 »

Here's some info for the relay kit, its base on GM motor stuff, but you should get an idea what they actually do & no they are not the same as HID conversion kits.

Click here-------->http://www.americanautowire.com/product ... itches.cfm