battery voltage

This forum discusses anything to do with your In Car Entertainment requirements such as. Stereo's, TV screens, Speakers, Navigation Systems, etc

Moderators: IMC, Club Staff

lawrencetlc
Grease Monkey
jedwabna poszewka promocja

battery voltage

Post by lawrencetlc »

Hi everyone,

I discover something about the battery voltage these days. and I wonder if it is normal.

When I am driving, the battery voltage meter is always pointing to a bit less than 14 volts. however, when i am pressing on the brake, it drops to below 12 immediately, and if i am using my headlamp at night, it drops even more. it is especially obvious when i am turning on the headlamps, plus pressing on the brake pedal, plus turning the signal light... the voltage will jumps up and down when the signal light is flashing...

I wonder if this will cause any complications to the battery life, and how can I make it more stable? as I said the battery voltage drops to the lowest when the head lamp, braking lamp and signal lamp is all turned on at the same time, I can see a dimmer headlamp... whereas when I press on the accelerator again, the headlamp becomes brighter again...

so, any advices??

Thanks
akuma3
Oldtimer

Post by akuma3 »

sounds very much like alternator not charging enough battery, exactly happen to mine 2 months ago so i had to replace my alternator, if it's the battery it'll pretty much stays around 12 or below all the time. Though i can't explain why a hard brake will make the voltage drop (maybe brake light) cause mine does too but i can almost be sure it's your alternator

before you turn your car on, turn your key to acc and look at the battery voltage, if it's below 12 then it's your battery if it's 12 or above it's your alternator
The difference between what we do and what we are capable of doing would suffice to solve most of the world's problem.

[img]http://www.speedtest.net/result/79682123.png[/img]
mxysxy
Oldtimer

Post by mxysxy »

How old is your battery,
sounds to me that it nearly had enough
lawrencetlc
Grease Monkey

Post by lawrencetlc »

the battery is about 1 and half year old... pretty near to 2 years old...

when i turn the key to on, the voltage is slightly below 12...

so, it's the battery??
Deeps
Grease Monkey

Post by Deeps »

I would definately get it checked. You dont want your car stopping on you whilst your driving.....

It sounds like the alternator, however a good way to check would be to use a battery charger overnight. If in the morning the battery meter is still showing a low voltage, then I would suggest to get your car checked to see how much voltage is ACTUALLY being pumped out, with and without lights, A/C, etc, as it might be the battery or the alternator or it simply might be the battery meter itslef.

If you dont have any issues in the morning after cjarge the battery, then it might be that the battery is dying