Bodykits and Bonnets and Exhausts

Bodykits, Interior modifications, Rice Products, anything that is for looks

Moderators: IMC, Club Staff

Bluntman
Grease Monkey
jedwabna poszewka promocja

Bodykits and Bonnets and Exhausts

Post by Bluntman »

hey everyone could anybody please tell me who make these bonnets and front bars?

or are they a custom jobby?
also where would i get a replacement pipe for my CAT, i wanna get rid of it (for track purposes! :D ) can u buy a good hks/trust/apex one or would it be better to get it custom made?[/list]
smorison
The Godfather

Post by smorison »

there is no point in paying for expensive jap parts when you can get same or better quality australian made stuff for half the price.

Also with the bonnets i'm looking for a bonnet i can use to create a mould so we can start making carbon fibre bonnets. would need it for about a month if you want to donate yours ;)
Bluntman
Grease Monkey

Post by Bluntman »

yeah i suppose your right, but its hard to find ppl who will do that kind of thing.
depends when u need the bonnet, i might be able to help out, would it have vents or anything else?
smorison
The Godfather

Post by smorison »

I'm thinking an EVO style bonnet but we can copy any existing one out there just depends on what is the most popular model (costs a lot to develop a mould)
GPXXX
Oldtimer

Post by GPXXX »

i can tell you right now the red FTO simply had its original bonnet cut, and the white one has a modified creative sports fibreglass bonnet with extra vents cut into it...
Bluntman
Grease Monkey

Post by Bluntman »

well why doesnt eveybody post some pic of different bonnets and the most popular one gets made (if enough ppl want one of course)
ill start off......
Bluntman
Grease Monkey

Post by Bluntman »

excellent thanks GPXXX
does anybody have any info on whether vents facing the windscreen are illegal or not?

Creative Sports

Sabre

Dont Know But I Like It

http://www.takakaira.com/asp/template.a ... RrmoNplsOn
C-West Evo VII

Kansai Evo VII

http://www.takakaira.com/asp/template.a ... QqlnMokrNm
Varis Evo VI, VII, TM

Varis Evo VII / CT9A
d_stroy_r
Mechanic

Post by d_stroy_r »

The creative one is 100% illegal.....I know from experiance, cause i have one in the shed. 2 reasons why it is illegal;

1. it is fibre glass (must be metal), so all those carbon fibre ones are illegal... well in WA anyway. Just find out from your transport centre.

2. The vent is facing towards the driver, resulting in possible fumes going towards the windscreen if a pipe or hose burst.
Bluntman
Grease Monkey

Post by Bluntman »

ive been searching the RTA website and havent found anything on carbon fibre bonnets, vents, the only thing i did find was in the 'Guidelines for Light Vehicle Modifications' which states:

There are general requirements concerning alterations to the bodywork:
a) no alteration may cause a hazard to persons due to exposed sharp edges or projections; and
b) no alteration may cause a reduction in the level of safety or overall strength of the vehicle[/quote]
d_stroy_r
Mechanic

Post by d_stroy_r »

Trust me, I tried to keep the bonnet for 3 months before buying a standard one.

The thing is...He said... was that normal bonnets bend, but aftermarket carbon fibre and fibreglass shatter.

Call the head of transport and you'll find out....don't call just any local police station or car parts provider.

[/quote]
EXC
Apprentice

Post by EXC »

the easiest way to go is to get your original bonnet modified

check to make sure what you plan to do to it is legal though
D-TRAIN
Mechanic

Post by D-TRAIN »

Redboost on this Forum has a bonnet like the Sabre one.

Not sure if any authorities have questioned about them though.
GPXXX
Oldtimer

Post by GPXXX »

EXC wrote:the easiest way to go is to get your original bonnet modified

check to make sure what you plan to do to it is legal though
i think so long as the original braces under the bonnet skin is intact, there should be no problems because they play a vital role in crumpling the front end in the event of a crash...
Bluntman
Grease Monkey

Post by Bluntman »

yeah i have been thinking about that but i would prefer something lightweight, and if i wanted to sell it i could just throw the original back on.
Thats why im interested in what smorison comes up with, although i could buy a original bonnet and carve it up... :D
smorison
The Godfather

Post by smorison »

we would get ours certified by an engineer same as the carbon fibre airboxes we're looking at making so that everything is legit and you don't get a defect notice for it.

you could cut up your existing one if you really wanted to but by the time you paid for that and then the respray you'd easy hit the 1000.00 mark which is where these carbon fibre ones are most likely going to end up (Cost wise)

However to create the moulds i'd need at least 10 people (once a design was agreed on) to put down a deposit to cover the cost of all the work. So are we interested?
GPXXX
Oldtimer

Post by GPXXX »

My hands are up for a carbonfibre airbox!! :D:D

...but will it fit the Apex'i pod filter though? :roll:

...as for the c/f bonnet, do they have any vents?
smorison
The Godfather

Post by smorison »

GPXXX wrote:My hands are up for a carbonfibre airbox!! :D:D
me too!!!! especially when they allow us to run pod filters without a defect notice :)
dunno but the simota one i'll have shortly is HUGE so it'll fit that we can always get a apexi and test it (note though that the airbox will be designed around our new pipework so that'll be one thing that you will have to allow for)
...as for the c/f bonnet, do they have any vents?
[/quote]
well i want an evo style one so yes... i imagine everyone who's prepared to pay for one wants it for vents more so than the weight saving... please tell me if am i wrong.

anyway give me a week to get these other projects out of the way and in for production and we'll start on the c/fibre stuff.

so GPXXX are you going to want our new exhaust mod?
Redboost
Apprentice

Post by Redboost »

D-TRAIN wrote:Redboost on this Forum has a bonnet like the Sabre one.

Not sure if any authorities have questioned about them though.
Mine is actually just the stock bonnet, modified with 3 vents, 2 in similar position to the sabre one and one in the center, above them. I have yet to be questioned over it however. :D
"If you aren't remembered, then you never really existed"
GPXXX
Oldtimer

Post by GPXXX »

smorison wrote:
GPXXX wrote:My hands are up for a carbonfibre airbox!! :D:D
me too!!!! especially when they allow us to run pod filters without a defect notice :)
dunno but the simota one i'll have shortly is HUGE so it'll fit that we can always get a apexi and test it (note though that the airbox will be designed around our new pipework so that'll be one thing that you will have to allow for)

so GPXXX are you going to want our new exhaust mod?
i will go for the c/f airbox and intake piping to suit... let me know when it's available.

As for the exhaust mod, i will most likely be ditching it when the turbo engine goes in next year anyway (to accomodate a 3" exhaust from the turbo) so maybe i'll pass... but i'll be damn interested to see the gains though' ;)