First Mods

This forum is for technical discussions on anything that will make your car handle better or go faster.

Moderators: IMC, Club Staff

rxboy
Mechanic
jedwabna poszewka promocja

Post by rxboy »

Get a silencer fitted. It might reduce your overall power gain from the exhaust though.
indyfto
Grease Monkey

Post by indyfto »

You could get an aftermarket computer chip fitted. I have no idea if they actually improve the car as much as they claim though as I've had no experience with them personally. However, it is a mod that should improve power without being at all noticeable.
thecook
Mechanic

Post by thecook »

if u do engine mods, and have stock filter and exhaust, then your really restricting the mods u put in... so its pointless

but wateva mods u do, it'll probably make the exhaust louder anyway...

well u can do air filter and mivec controller for starters...

atm i only have air filter, cbf with the engine on a NA car... so im just makeing it ICE... i already got subs amps tv screen etc.... ehehe....
TimmyD
Mechanic

Post by TimmyD »

You could get an aftermarket computer chip fitted.........
that problem with that is that they cost to much for only 10/20KW increase...

Tim
G1
Mechanic

Post by G1 »

even just an air filter will making a big difference to sound... in a good way i think... you got a mivec engine right? if so, then an air pod will have your car singing everytime you enter the mivec range.. sweet!
TimmyD
Mechanic

Post by TimmyD »

hehe yeah, any extra noise while driving is fine its just when im pulling into the driveway is the problem, exhaust's are loud no matter what speed your goin :P

Tim
fto12345
Mechanic

Post by fto12345 »

Hi,

It really depends what kind of mufflers you put on though..

Mufflers like Remus are very very good!
The only problem is that they are too expensive. But these days you get what you paid for.

With the remus exhaust, at idel or at very low rpm, they sound like a cat's purrrr...... Not very loud at all, but sound beautiful...
When you press on the accelerator, they sound a lot louder at higher rpms, but still not as loud as some of the ones you see on roads...

So if you are interested in exhausts, look around and visit some shops and see what they have to offer. You'll be surprised as to what you can do to your car.

Cheers,
TimmyD
Mechanic

Post by TimmyD »

hehe, yeah, i cant wait till i get my P's, then ill goto some of these cruises and get some more ideas :D:D:D
rxboy
Mechanic

Post by rxboy »

My friend's got a Remus exhaust just lying around in his garage. He still hasn't attached it to his Prelude. Maybe I'll "borrow" it for a while for a test run :lol: .
elmo
Grease Monkey

mods

Post by elmo »

Extractors, pod filters and oversize throttle butterflies definately make it go better/faster, and sound shmick. Now all i need is that twin system exhaust...
TimmyD
Mechanic

Post by TimmyD »

whered do i get extractor from and how much are they??

also, what are throttle butterflies???

Tim
smorison
The Godfather

Post by smorison »

oversize throttle bodies i'm not convinced about we're going to run tests shortly to see whether or not its even worth trying this. Will advise sometime soon.

extractors i wouldn't worry about too much but our exhaust pipes between the extractors and CAT are definately worth getting as a mod before looking at extractors.
elmo
Grease Monkey

Mods

Post by elmo »

I beg to differ. The oversize throttle butterfly gives heaps more torque down low below 3000 rpm. The extra torque from the extractors is felt below about 3500-4000. I fitted the extractors first so dunno how they would go the other way round.
The throttle butterfly makes the engine throatier and more responsive, but unfortunately it does mean you will be using more fuel for the same throttle position. I have been experimenting with this though, and because you take off faster, you don't need to open her up as much (although I still do cause it's got an awesome exhaust note now, gotta love that mivec :twisted: )
The extractors were about $750 and the throttle body was ???500??? think thats plus labour though. :(
BTW: The extractors i have include a third peice that goes right back to the cat. It is about 3 or 4 inch diametre and has a single flex pipe, so i will already have the benifit of what you are designing. You've got a great idea though, the better breathing definately helps. :lol:
D-TRAIN
Mechanic

Re: Mods

Post by D-TRAIN »

elmo wrote:BTW: The extractors i have include a third peice that goes right back to the cat. It is about 3 or 4 inch diametre and has a single flex pipe, so i will already have the benifit of what you are designing. You've got a great idea though, the better breathing definately helps. :lol:
The front pipe with the flex to the cat is what UAS is designing (without the headers). And the Race-design extractors RPW was working on was supposed to have a longer front pipe to improve lower end power/torque.
smorison
The Godfather

Post by smorison »

can you post dyno runs to show it ... as yet i haven't been able to get anyone to prove that enlarged throttle bodies are actually worth it.
D-TRAIN
Mechanic

Post by D-TRAIN »

rxboy wrote:Get a silencer fitted. It might reduce your overall power gain from the exhaust though.
If you have an Apexi N1 though, a silencer may help mid to lower end torque. That's what the marketing spill from Apexi says anyways.
GPXXX
Oldtimer

Post by GPXXX »

D-TRAIN wrote:
rxboy wrote:Get a silencer fitted. It might reduce your overall power gain from the exhaust though.
If you have an Apexi N1 though, a silencer may help mid to lower end torque. That's what the marketing spill from Apexi says anyways.
i reckon that marketing spill is a load of crap, coz my silencer does sweet f**k-all in terms of performance... i can definitely feel much more surge in torque without the silencer fitted. i feel my car revs freely without the silencer fitted and believe it or not i also get greater fuel economy. it pulls better at all gears at any given speed but the only drawback is it's noise... (which can be a pain in the bum when cruising on highways)

The only logical reason that i can think of is that there is significantly less back pressure, hence the engine has to work less harder to generate horsepower.
elmo
Grease Monkey

dyno runs

Post by elmo »

My car has only been running on 5 and a half cylinders since stolen, so wont be a true run. Could have it ready by the end of the week though...will put it on the dyno then.
TimmyD
Mechanic

Post by TimmyD »

how do u tell how many cylienders its running on?
elmo
Grease Monkey

engines

Post by elmo »

Jeez dude...
It's got a damaged plug lead, so that cylinder isn't runnig quite right. You can hear and feel a slight miss in the revs. It also hunts for revs a bit when idling. It sounds not quite right, y'no?
But even with it runnin like this it is still quicker since I had the throttle body done, magine when we get the new leads....