Twin turbo MIVEC FTO pics

So you want a hairdryer on your FTO? Or do you already have a hairdryer in it? This is the section for it. All other big power projects & forced induction goes here too.

Moderators: IMC, Club Staff

spetz
Oldtimer
jedwabna poszewka promocja

Twin turbo MIVEC FTO pics

Post by spetz »

Don't get too excited... the engine isn't in :)

But, I am sure I have mentioned plenty of times about the mechanics personal car which is a 6A12TT with ported MIVEC heads etc

So, here are some pictures of the engine next to the FTO

FTO338
Oldtimer

Post by FTO338 »

Hmmm did i see a 7A Supra intercooler there? :wink:
DISCLAIMER: The above text is the personal opinion of the author and does not represent the indisputable truth. The author is not responsible for any deaths, injuries or mental illness caused by the above statments.
spetz
Oldtimer

Post by spetz »

Not sure what intercooler it is

It doesn't look too flash, it's black...
FTO338
Oldtimer

Post by FTO338 »

Ask your mechanic, i'm pretty sure its from the old 7AFE Supra.
DISCLAIMER: The above text is the personal opinion of the author and does not represent the indisputable truth. The author is not responsible for any deaths, injuries or mental illness caused by the above statments.
Rocco
Grease Monkey

Post by Rocco »

FTO338 wrote:Ask your mechanic, i'm pretty sure its from the old 7AFE Supra.
I'm pretty sure tht is a supra intercooler
FTO-279
Storm
Veteran Mechanic

Post by Storm »

Thats a very neat sized turbo, any idea what it is?

And if theres another one at the other side what kind of modifications did he have to make to get it to fit? It looks well cool, as my 8 yr old would say :lol:
to4garret
Apprentice

Post by to4garret »

looks very much like the rear turbo manifold and rear turbo off a 6A12TT put onto the front of the mivec motor.

which he would have had to do as the air intakes for the turbo's would be facing the cam cover if they were not reversed.

very nice 8)
Horsepower is NOT proportional to the cross sectional area of your exhaust tip.<BR>[img]http://www.justwebmail.com/images/sig.jpg[/img]
spetz
Oldtimer

Post by spetz »

Storm, your 8 year old watches a lot of Ali G doesn't he?

And, the turbo's are standard 6A12TT turbo's, which are a bit smaller than a TD-04. Well, they are tiny really.
He hasn't tried fitting it in, but I am sure he will get it in there without problems as he has fitted (and I have seen this car) a 6A12TT into a DC2 integra.

I think the internals must be from the 6A12TT, but in the MIVEC engine. I am not sure but he has told me they are not standard MIVEC internals.

There was a plan to fit that engine into my car, and I am sure he would be able to do it (it's a lancer) but because the 6A12 MIVEC and the 6A12TT use MAP and AFM sensors respectively, I would need to buy a standalone computer. But that time it was stretching it just for the cost of that engine, let alone cash for the computer, and I have already bought an e-manage which would go to waste.

Not to mention, putting an evo 8 engine would be easier, weigh less/handle better, and more scope for modification. But I want the smoothness of a 6 :)
Storm
Veteran Mechanic

Post by Storm »

What kind of horsepower is your mechanic expecting with the twin turbo set up spetz? Or should that be something about KWs as I am not in Oz?

Maybe just, what percentage increase would he expect would be better :lol:

Yup, thats the one we'll go for.

Arashi
spetz
Oldtimer

Post by spetz »

I don't know to be honest...

The car has been sitting like that for a couple of years now as he doesn't have the time to put everything in.

To be honest, I think someone else will probably end up buying that engine before it goes into that FTO.

But, as far as power goes, judging by his turbo/supercharged civic, it seems he always wants around the 300kw mark (about 400hp)
bigpitty1
Mechanic

Post by bigpitty1 »

I would love to see this twin turbo MIVEC in the car and running, I think I might try to do this in the future as I want to go on the path of forced induction, I was thinking of doing the 6A13TT conversion but I think that motor just makes too much power for the FTO.

There is just a few things that I need to find out, so it looks like if I use the turbo's and manifolds off a 6A12TT all I have to do is put the rear manifold and turbo on the front of the MIVEC motor and same goes with the front turbo and manifold on the rear of the motor...

With that setup would I still be able have the A/C and power steering pump in the stock position because in that pic it doesn't have those on the motor, I just hope it wasn't because of the turbo getting in the way...

And would I have to relocate the oil filter or get a special adapter for the oil filter because on the 6A13TT it looks like it has a adapter so the oil filter sits under the turbo...

With this set up I'm not looking for big numbers, I only plan to have it running on 5 psi, I think I might have to modify or change the actulators to run it at 5psi, right now I'm just gathering up information before I do this, if all goes well I might start this by the end of this year.
to4garret
Apprentice

Post by to4garret »

the only problem i see with using the 6A12TT manifolds on the mivec motor is having the swap from front to rear.

the reason being, is that the rear manifold holds the turbo upwards, this to clear the subframe at the back, around where the steering rack is. there *maybe* enough room, but im confident there would not be, with out mods or lateral thinking.

also, having the rear manifold on the front could possibly make radiator clearance issues.

if you were to use the stock manifolds, i think spending some time to get the flanges modified would be the way to go.
Horsepower is NOT proportional to the cross sectional area of your exhaust tip.<BR>[img]http://www.justwebmail.com/images/sig.jpg[/img]
bigpitty1
Mechanic

Post by bigpitty1 »

would the 6A13TT manifolds and turbo be better as I won't have to switch them around, but then there is the problem of the oil filter, I wonder if that oil filter adapter if it is an adapter could be fitted to the MIVEC motor.
to4garret
Apprentice

Post by to4garret »

hypothetically speaking, using the 6A13TT manifolds and turbos would be the best option.

the 6A12TT already has the filter relocating adapter, perhaps you can use that

you can see the filter adapter in this photo, along with turbo pistons and rods 8)

http://groups.msn.com/to4garret/disasse ... PhotoID=64
khunjeng
Oldtimer

Post by khunjeng »

spetz wrote:I don't know to be honest...

The car has been sitting like that for a couple of years now as he doesn't have the time to put everything in.

To be honest, I think someone else will probably end up buying that engine before it goes into that FTO.

But, as far as power goes, judging by his turbo/supercharged civic, it seems he always wants around the 300kw mark (about 400hp)
thats some serious HP...how do u get that to the road in a FWD FTO?? I doubt u can use half of that power unless something else is chnaged. Would be wicked thou.
SchumieFan
Oldtimer

Post by SchumieFan »

read danny and jeffs conversions
bigpitty1
Mechanic

Post by bigpitty1 »

I have already had a look at danny and jeffs conversions, from what I hear is that the 6A13TT makes too much power to my likings so that why I want to do it to the mivec motor, I only want a little bit more power, more than what u get from N/A tuning.
SchumieFan
Oldtimer

Post by SchumieFan »

hmmm i dunno how the mivec would handle the turbo, a great example is the evo 9, which has a turbo mivec engine thats been toned down and is acctually slower than the evo 8...

the only problems i see you having would be gearbox's.... id have atleast 1 back up if i were you
fto617
Veteran Mechanic

Post by fto617 »

hey! u are wrong
stock evo9 is faster than stock ev8!
i would know that coz i got an 8 :twisted:
but anyways...mivec limits its modification performance...
so if u put same mod on 9 and 8, 8 will be faster because there is no MIVEC to restrict it.
bigpitty1
Mechanic

Post by bigpitty1 »

The MIVEC on the EVO 9 is different to the MIVEC on the FTO.