Danny's And Jeff's 6A13 turbo Conversions

So you want a hairdryer on your FTO? Or do you already have a hairdryer in it? This is the section for it. All other big power projects & forced induction goes here too.

Moderators: IMC, Club Staff

Irish-dan
jedwabna poszewka promocja

Post by Irish-dan »

Have to say very nice work there.would love to be able to mod my fto to that bhp. :D :D :D
salacious
Grease Monkey

Post by salacious »

Jeff wrote:I was a bit embarresed to post my latest.
Last Wed night lined up at Willowbank.
Good take off but a little bumpy, went for second and no second gear. :oops:
The shuddering has either moved or broken the mounting braket for the selectors on the manuel box. So now I have 1st, 3rd and 5th only. Took it to a gearbox place but they couldn`t get to it due to the turbo sitting on top of the gearbox
Where the gear selector goes into the gearbox you have two U shaped brackets to keep tension, they are only held together with rubber. This broke on mine a couple of years ago. As a temp fix I just cable tied it together but since them I just got it welded. I also only had 1st, 3rd and 5th. It is a shame it is just such a pain to get to on your car.

Brian
Jeff
Grease Monkey

Post by Jeff »

I have taken my car to Joe & Ricks ( all the Qld owners take their cars there. (Japanese Mechanic)), after Subzero the workshop who did most of the upgrade were too busy to fit it in. They have taken out the turbo and removed the rubber mount. They are going to build a metal one for me. also I snapped one of the gearbox selector cables. They have ordered one in, so as soon as it arrives, half a day putting it all back together, and I should have my baby back.
Then hopefully an Aussie back on top of the 1/4 mile.
Jeff
Jeff
Grease Monkey

Post by Jeff »

Latest Update. :evil:
Picked up my baby from Joe & Ricks last week. It felt great, good to have a nice loose gear shift. Drove from the Gold Coast back to Brisbane, 110kph in fifth all the way with the cruise control on. Got to the Julliette St off ramp, and my gear shift was heavy again. Parked in my garage overnight, and next morning it was stuck in first. Could not move it. Back onto a towtruck back to Joe & Ricks.
The heat had melted the inner plastic sleeve of the shifter cable. I already have a heat sheild between the turbo and the gearbox, and have raised my bonnet and removed the rubber mounting to try to get cool air blowing through, but obviously not enough.
Rick has been ringing all the enineering firms down the coast, but has only found one that may be able to make up a modified shifter cable. I am waiting to hear.
If anyone has any experience with engineering firms that could possibly make up, a shifter cable without plastic or vinyl, I would appriciate any help.
The problem is it is a push/pull cable about 1.2m that does a slight bend, but has solid rods on the ends for the pushing ability.
Any Help Please.
As soon as I can get this solved, bonnet vents, and extra heatsheilding will be the next job.
Thanks in advance for any; ideas, solutions, firms that can do this.
Jeff
RichardB
Grease Monkey

Post by RichardB »

Any updates on 1/4 mile times from that side of the pond, Ive set a half decent time for you to aim at - 12.44 @127mph but as of next month Ive got another major engine upgrade to do on it.... I will have a chat with you onl MSN sometime about it danny
The World's fastest FTO - sub 9's checkout www.mitsubishi-fto.net to see the latest time.

Sponsored by : NR Autosport, RB Performance, PPG Gearboxes, IPG Parts, S1 Chiropractic
FNTSY
Grease Monkey

Post by FNTSY »

hey danny and jeff.
found this on ebay. is this the same engine u guys are running?

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/MITSUBISHI-TWIN- ... dZViewItem
FNTSY MOTORSPORTS NEWCASTLE
###for all your boosting needs###
afterburner
Mechanic

Post by afterburner »

Nah thats the turbo version of the engine from the FTO GR, the 6A12 2L V6 usually found in the 92-96 Galant VR-4, Galant GT Sport, and some Eterna models.

The one these guys are using is the 6A13 2.5L V6 which came in the 96-onwards Galant VR-4. Its the same block with a 500cc increase in displacement, some turbo and injector differences, and usually mounted around the other way.
[url=http://www.atom.net.nz/afterburner/fto/index.htm][img]http://www.atom.net.nz/afterburner/ftologos.jpg[/img][/url]

It's gone :( - now carless...
FNTSY
Grease Monkey

Post by FNTSY »

thanks. i thought it must have been different.
when i first looked into rebuilding my car i looked at this convercion but
around $4000-$5000 for a front cut if u could find one turned me off
( PS, brings up my 100 post)
FNTSY MOTORSPORTS NEWCASTLE
###for all your boosting needs###
Jeff
Grease Monkey

Post by Jeff »

Latest update.
All good. Could not find a firm to make up a steel only gearshift cable, so bought a blow torch and now no nylon left in the cable.
It works great.
So hopefully soon maybe an aussie back to the top of the 1/4 mile league.

P.S. I now have a slightly used 6A13 engine for sale. This is the same Danny and I are both using. This was the first engine that I bought but it had problems. Bottom end damage and a piston hit the top.
This would be a great engine to pull down and rebuild into a monster with forged parts before putting into a FTO tuboed or NA.
Only $500 because it is damaged. You pay for freight and pick up.
The engine is down the Gold Coast. Any serios buyers I can send them photos of the damage or give them the name off the guy who pulled it apart who can give you a full appraisal.
Jeff
KEA7IN
Apprentice

Post by KEA7IN »

How much did the whole engine conversion end up costing? Did u need custom engine mounts to put the 6A13 in? Also was the engine a 6A13 twin turbo, single turbo or n/a, because i heard that its bloody hard to fit the twin turbo where as the single turbo fits a bit more easy.
Matt
Jeff
Grease Monkey

Post by Jeff »

Hi Matt,
It was a twin turbo, but you cannot fit that in without changing the entire firwall. The engine mounts are the least of your problems.
You need a whole custom exhaust manifolds, turbo, dump pipe, aftermarket comp/chip, etc, etc. And as stated earlier the 6A13 would need to be pulled down and rebuilt. In total a huge job, but if someone was thinking of building a monster like Danny`s or mine then this would be a good start.
Jeff
KEA7IN
Apprentice

Post by KEA7IN »

http://forums.evolutionm.net/archive/in ... 62238.html
"A turbo version of the non-MIVEC 6A12 engine was released too, which could pull 149kW - the same peak power as the wonderful atmo inducted MIVEC!"

Well thats what i just read what do u reckon bout that engine? I also found this which i reckon is where that other stuff came from.

http://www.automotivehelper.com/topic205956.htm
8G VR4 is 6A12 V6 DOHC 2.0L single Turbo engine with 200hp, there is no arguement about it."

Do u reckon that'd fit in easier?
FTO338
Oldtimer

Post by FTO338 »

This engine been discussed before, it won't fit as the engine position & drive tran are on the opposite side.
DISCLAIMER: The above text is the personal opinion of the author and does not represent the indisputable truth. The author is not responsible for any deaths, injuries or mental illness caused by the above statments.
afterburner
Mechanic

Post by afterburner »

KEA7IN wrote:http://forums.evolutionm.net/archive/in ... 62238.html
"A turbo version of the non-MIVEC 6A12 engine was released too, which could pull 149kW - the same peak power as the wonderful atmo inducted MIVEC!"

Well thats what i just read what do u reckon bout that engine? I also found this which i reckon is where that other stuff came from.

http://www.automotivehelper.com/topic205956.htm
8G VR4 is 6A12 V6 DOHC 2.0L single Turbo engine with 200hp, there is no arguement about it."

Do u reckon that'd fit in easier?
Heh both of those quotes are completely wrong. The 6A12 twin turbo engine actually makes either 160kw or 179kw, depending on whether it was fitted to an auto or a manual car. They came in 7G Galant VR-4s, GT Sports (a liftback Galant) or Eterna's (a Galant chassis with a different body). I used to have a VR-4. And as mentioned above, this engine is around the wrong way to fit in the FTO.

The turbo engine in the 8G Galant VR-4 is actually the 6A13 2.5L twin turbo engine with 260hp or 280hp, once again depending what model it was fitted to. There is NO such thing as a single turbo version of the 6A12 or the 6A13, unless you are like Danny or Jeff and have made one yourself. This engine is around the correct way to fit in the FTO and has been transplanted into a few, including the ones discussed in this thread and some in the UK and NZ.
[url=http://www.atom.net.nz/afterburner/fto/index.htm][img]http://www.atom.net.nz/afterburner/ftologos.jpg[/img][/url]

KEA7IN
Apprentice

Post by KEA7IN »

Ok so if converted to a 6A13 single turbo how hard would it be to fit in. Would u have to touch the firewall. And what about the engine mount bolts... thats what im askin.
Has anyone done a 6G72 tt or is there just no way of fitting that. I mean if u were gonna make an animal and change the firewall anyway, that'll be the engine to have.
And for "afterburner" Im goin of what i read on a site that had history of mitsubishi engines as the heading. It could be wrong? I'll give u the link so u can have a look and give them the correct info so they can fix it up if u want.
http://www.club3g.com/forum/showthread.php?t=12163
afterburner
Mechanic

Post by afterburner »

The 6G72TT is not going to fit - it's a much bigger block than the 6A series and the engine bay would require extensive modifications. It would also ruin your handling by adding all that extra weight in the nose.

The 6A13 in some sort of turbo form is the best bet - for help on how to fit one with a single turbo conversion, well that's what this thread is for...

As for that link, I actually recognised that it was a direct cut and paste from AutoSpeed (I used to be a subscriber there). When that article originally came out on AutoSpeed, I emailed them at the time and advised them of their errors, but I guess they didn't really care. Just goes to show that you shouldn't believe everything you read on the net...

Jeff
Grease Monkey

Post by Jeff »

F%$K, F$#K, F$#K!!!!!!!!!!
But for once it is not the car.
I had sold my old 6A12 to Bennoz, a few weeks ago, and just sold my tip box to Martin, only to find the workshop SUBZERO has done a runner.
I spoke to then 2 weeks ago to let them know Bennoz`s money had cleared and was going to ring to arrange a courrier to pick up the engine. Then last night Martins money cleared and I rang SUBZERO this morning, only to find that the call was diverted to another workshop. Strangely the guy on the phone had a simular accent to the guys from SUBZERO, but insisted they have nothing to do with them. He stated he had bought some machinery from them 2 weeks ago, and as a favour they diverted their number to him.
(YEAH RIGHT.) The new place is in another Suburb from the old SUBZERO, so I have no idea where the box and engine have gone. The new guy stated they were moving to Dubai (Bulls#$%T).
So I now have to refund Martin`s and Bennoz`s money, and I have no warrenty on my car.
If anyone finds a tip box for sale or a 6A12 from anyone without having an FTO please check it out and contact the police.
I spent the afternoon at the local cop shop, putting in a statement, but the officer stated that it was more a civil matter than a criminal one and doubted wheather anything would be done. How can I take these guys to civil court when they have done a runner.
So everyone please check out any tip box`s or 6A12s for me, and if anyone runs into a Mario Pavlovic, contact me and the police.
Many thanks
Jeff
Jeff
Grease Monkey

Post by Jeff »

Well I`ll be.
The police contacted me a few hours later, to tell me that immigration has Mario leaving the country on the 20/10.
So no idea where my engine and tip box have gone.
Please all keep an eye out for me.
Jeff
dannyboyau
Veteran Mechanic

Post by dannyboyau »

hi Jeff

Jeff would you have access to a FTO Radiator that is not in a car.
dannyboyau
Veteran Mechanic

Post by dannyboyau »

I have been testing a aluminium flywheel for the last few weeks, This flywheel came with a new ringgear and custom made grade 11 bolts to eliminate the flex plate. I am using the 9 puck sprung centre clutch disk with a 1000kg clutch pressure plate. It is holding well and there is no slippage. went down the motoplex 2 weeks ago but snapped the drive shafts again on the first pass

Should any one be interested in purchasing any of this set up PM me.

Aluminium flywheel cost 1000 AUD
clutch plate 350 AUD
Pressure plate 400 AUD