Danny's And Jeff's 6A13 turbo Conversions

So you want a hairdryer on your FTO? Or do you already have a hairdryer in it? This is the section for it. All other big power projects & forced induction goes here too.

Moderators: IMC, Club Staff

mivec24
jedwabna poszewka promocja

Post by mivec24 »

The twin turbos worked np all u have to do is to lift the ac lines and to lift the brake line works np u might have to remove the rear guard for turbo. Also yes my car still has ac lol. Also i am using the fto gpx gearbox and using stock vr4 computer. The fto gearbox works best with the single turbo but with the twin it just lighting up tyres every gear i actually wheel spinned tyres 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th and part of 5th gear. Single turbo is great but air flow meter is a big restriction.The twin turbos are useless above 12psi of boost after that just hot air no matter intercooler.The stock engine mounts work back but it would be best to get a solid rear engine mount. The axles everything wrok back its easy just minor adjustments. U would need to have good cooling and heat extraction i had to lift back of bonnet to extract heat. If u are on msn messenger add me at slydwayne@hotmail.com
jonowong
Oldtimer

Post by jonowong »

ill add you on msn!

you make it sound so simple thats its unbelievable...
manofwood
Veteran Mechanic

Post by manofwood »

i would like to know more, and photos as well please!
mivec24

Post by mivec24 »

Tell me what u need to know and i will tell u.This set up is no more difficult to putting in your own fto engine.Everything works back just minor adjustments are made to make things right.The back down pipe for rear turbo has to be modified slightly thats it any muffler man can do that.
mivec24

Post by mivec24 »

Your serious 12 months.Lol thats crazy 12 months. The most difficult thing is the wiring part. The engine part is nothing took myself and two of my friends about 3 hours to get engine in the engine bay.You first have to make sure the driver side or right engine mount is on first then get on the gearbox mount and your set. Stock radiator fits in but u can;t use stock radiator fans any more. mounts bolt up just use vr4 engine harness and i had to get my electrician guy to wire me up or to mate vr4 harness to fto harness that took about an hour the most car was swinging everything after that.Dont forget only difference between my fto and vr4 is that one is air flow meter and the other is map so we had to source the harness for the air flow meter and it works right back. That was my first set up.
I learnt a lot from first set up. I at first had the greddy type s blow off valve which i found out later doesn;t work well with air flow meter units so i had to use hks ssq blow off. Then at first i had mesh in front of air flow meter then i learnt that the karmen vortex air flow meter needs resistance infront of it if not u lose torque and power i didn;t believe at first until i put on a filter and realise car would wheel spin what ever i had on it. At first i had no management on the car oh and stock fto fuel pump does nothing for the car. U need a walbro straight off my fuel pump was maxed out with the twin turbo set up. Need to get a solid rear mount for u don;t want engine to rock much since space is limited.
My first set of management was the greddy emanage blue from my first tune after i got rid of a lot of fuel and advanced some timing at points i stripped my clutch in one after putting in fresh clutch the game bagan. I was beating evo 8s subs cars with nos anything. I soon realise however that twin turbos were limited. Makes no sense taking them above 12 13 psi of boost for they are so small they only generate heat.I then upgraded the down pipes from the turbo to 2 1/4 inch to help them breath better.Then i put on full 3 inch exhaust which made a difference in low end feel however the twin turbo set up is a waste u can;t even fit a dollar in the front end of those turbos.
After the turbos blew up well one of them and particles from it went in my engine i decided to do full overhaul which is the best thing i have ever done. I bought everything new as i get all my parts from japan. All new gaskits, rings, pistons,valves, decompress the lifters everything however i had to bore my block 0.5 mm and start from fresh. Pistons i received however were a slightly higher compression piston. My compression when i was twin turbo was 145 psi per cylinder. Now i am 210psi per cylinder. I built my manifold custom leading to turbo which is the xs power super t70. .70 ar front .84 ar back end not a ball bearing turbo but because of my compression and slight bore full boost comes at 3800 rpm. I drive car off boost most of time because car just drives too easy. I have put on 18 inch full slicks and just wheel spin them first and second and part of third and this is at 8psi of boost. I have not even fully tuned the car for that boost level and for some reason i feel i can achieve a huge power read out on 8psi only thing my turbo would not have reached its efficiency. I have then tried the greddy emanage ultimate which is the best piggy back money can buy to me. I had launch control on vehicle from the ultimate which allowed me with that size turbo to see 7psi of boost on a stand still so when i launch i was in boost from the get go. It also controlled the water spray on my intercooler.
I also installed my fuel pressure regulator and i did it in a way that both heads received equal fuel. From pulling down i observed the rear head received more fuel than the front so generally the front part of the engine seems to show more wear so we developed the fuel system that equal pressure would leave regulator and go to each head equally.
After a while and also problems with air flow meter which was the airflow meter is to be a certain distance away from the turbo but in my tight engine bay quarters its almost impossible. Decided to go full standalone that way getting rid of air flow meter and letting turbo breath better. I am now in process of fully tuning my 8psi boost mark however i am installing water injection in the vehicle one time.This device is an engine saver and anyone running over 10psi of boost should use it.It cools the piston and prevents melting while allowing u to run higher ignition which results in more hp safer. For maximum hp when running i have a joint that allows me to take off a quarter of my exhaust for much better flow.
I had to use coil over set up for the vr4 engine puts out so much torque that the back of my car would dip when i am accelerating which is time loss in quarter. Plus the engine is heavier than fto engine so i needed a harder spring rate to maintain a good ride.
One other thing aluminium radiators are a waste of time i have back in stock radiator and its working great i will never buy one of those again. I should be putting it on dynoe shortly and when i am finished i will display video of it as well as video of two friends of mine one in a colt rs other in a peugeot 206 who have aided me in my project as well. We have worked with redline in his turbo project and now redline has since sold car his new project we will display for u guys as well.
mivec24

Post by mivec24 »

This is a link to the colt 1600 colt we built on dynoe.This has no forge pistons no forge rods and is using a greddy emanage ultimate.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZUhUAvao8iI&NR=1
uploader

Post by uploader »

hey peeps, i can assure you its an easy conversion. My mechanic got the engine in within a day and did no mods to the firewall, dont ask me how he did it. new to the board but not new to ftos. im on my second one and its a 6a13TT. had the conversion done a couple of months ago but for now its just a simple set up with e-manage and no serious mods. right now im leaning towards a twin td04 set up but there are still a few problems that needs to be sorted out and like mivec24 said, heating is a big issue. guess i will be getting rid of my air flow meter too.

IF ANYONE CAN HELP ME OUT WITH A VR4 LEGNUM MAIN HARNESS I WOULD REALLY APPRECIATE IT.
mr-charisma
Oldtimer

Post by mr-charisma »

WTTC Mivec24 & Uploader! :) Can't believe you both have 6A13 setups! thats awesome :) there's a lot you could share with us about the conversions.. hope you stick around for a while 8) Anyways, enjoy your stay ... Introduce yourselves in the Newbies forums / post pics of your cars etc if you haven't already ;)
FtoSam
Oldtimer

Post by FtoSam »

For sure guys...

Pics and work logs!!!

Awesome to see more and more 6a13tt FTOs getting around...

I'd be right there with you guys but alas i went the 6a12t route unfortunately...

better value for money if i'd have gone 6a13tt... oh well... you live and you learn

If you need good deal on photography, let me know.
Supplanter
Forum Moderator

Post by Supplanter »

You aren't the first turbo FTO from Barbados here :wink:

http://www.ftoaustralia.com/modules.php ... pic&t=6734

Welcome to the club... looks like you are going to get a million questions now :lol:
LED ALL the things.
mivec24

Post by mivec24 »

Lol i actually was the first. I helped redline with his set up. His set up was easy too.We made up turbo manifold with rpw turbo extractors never thought of that.So turbo had better flow and we had on a good size turbo for the job. I have been trying to post pics but i don;t know how. Of m set up twin turbo and now single.I am trying to find the pics when i pulled down my engine and was setting back up. I learnt a lot trust me fellas.
FtoSam
Oldtimer

Post by FtoSam »

just go to gallery on the left and upload em in...

or go to www.photobucket.com and load em up, then paste the [IMG] text into your post

mivec24

Post by mivec24 »

Does anyone know a full chassis number for a manual mitsubishi vr4 legnum.
FTO338
Oldtimer

Post by FTO338 »

mivec24 wrote:Does anyone know a full chassis number for a manual mitsubishi vr4 legnum.
Please post at the right section!
DISCLAIMER: The above text is the personal opinion of the author and does not represent the indisputable truth. The author is not responsible for any deaths, injuries or mental illness caused by the above statments.
Jeff
Grease Monkey

For Sale Jeffs Turbo FTO

Post by Jeff »

Just to let everyone know, I am putting my baby up for sale. I will put all the particulars in the for sale section. But if anyone is thinking of Turboing, here is a car already done, producing 306 kw/atw. This could save someone a lot of time and worries.
see www.uq.net.au/whocares/FTO.html for all the details or look back through this forum.

Jeff

PS The reason it is for sale is my new job I have a lease package, and have just leased a DB7. (FTO lookalike)
Supplanter
Forum Moderator

Re: For Sale Jeffs Turbo FTO

Post by Supplanter »

Jeff wrote:PS The reason it is for sale is my new job I have a lease package, and have just leased a DB7. (FTO lookalike)
8O
Does the company you work for have any positions open :lol:

I am sure with a bit of work you can make it look as good as your FTO.
LED ALL the things.
FtoSam
Oldtimer

Post by FtoSam »

Price jeff???

Please sell it to someone in qld!!!!

I'll talk to lukas, as i know he wants another FTO...

nosman
Grease Monkey

Post by nosman »

Yeah Im still oversea's but Im coming back in about a month so hopefully its still available and i have to get my ass up to QLD ASAP.
jonowong
Oldtimer

Post by jonowong »

here's mivec24s

jonowong
Oldtimer

Post by jonowong »