Danny's And Jeff's 6A13 turbo Conversions

So you want a hairdryer on your FTO? Or do you already have a hairdryer in it? This is the section for it. All other big power projects & forced induction goes here too.

Moderators: IMC, Club Staff

dannyboyau
Veteran Mechanic
jedwabna poszewka promocja

Danny's And Jeff's 6A13 turbo Conversions

Post by dannyboyau »

Just thought i would post a link to a couple of photos of the conversion so far for any one interested will update the photos every few days
http://photos.yahoo.com/dannyboyau
Last edited by dannyboyau on Sun Sep 26, 2004 4:41 am, edited 5 times in total.
FTO338
Oldtimer

Post by FTO338 »

Yeah dude is working now!!! Nice work u done there! How long u think before it will finish??
dannyboyau
Veteran Mechanic

Post by dannyboyau »

we are hoping about 2 more weeks

but probably closer to 3 weeks

the ceramic coating is going to take almost a week

but should be sending the parts to be ceramic coated on thursday or friday

will be doing most of the wiring while they are being done

will have some more pics tomorrow i forgot to bring the camera home with me today
G_A_V
Veteran Mechanic

nice !!

Post by G_A_V »

Nice work so far, It'll be good to see the finished result, how much was the motor and parts u needed ?? how much in laybour ?? did you need a new ecu ?? did u need ot modify the engine to fit ?? I thought the 6a13 was twin turbo
dannyboyau
Veteran Mechanic

Post by dannyboyau »

it looks like it will cost about 15000 all up for the conversion that included BOV, external waste gate, turbo garrett GT30, intercooler and plumbing, manifolds, engine, ceramic coating, wolf 3D version 4+, 4 puck ceramic clutch, walbro 255 lph fuel pump, two extra 550cc injectors, falcon 65 mm throttle body, 3 inch stainless dump pipe, stainless heat shields, silcone hoses, braided hoses, most of the labour i am doing myself. The engine bolted straight in, just decided to go for a big single turbo, I still have the twin turbos and manifolds from the engine. but when we went single turbo it created quite a few mods some small some a bit bigger. Some of the mods where done to make it all work more efficently, some of them are probably not absolutely necessary
G_A_V
Veteran Mechanic

Post by G_A_V »

do you rekon the twinturbos will bolt on to a 6a12 ?? cause the throttle body is the same i think. Just a few ecu changes and fpr, oh a couple of oil lines should do the trick yeah ?
dannyboyau
Veteran Mechanic

Post by dannyboyau »

yes the manifolds will bolt straight on to the 6A12 you just need to make a few minor changes to the piping on the fire wall and you will need to move the oil filter or if you get custom manifolds made they would fit very easily and there would be very little modification needed in the engine bay, rpw in Perth is in the process of making turbo manifolds at the moment. I went single turbo now instead of later. once this stage is finished will start getting the parts to do the internals
G_A_V
Veteran Mechanic

Post by G_A_V »

arent you worried about torqure steering, and bald tyres ?
My na fto, torque steers way too much and if im lazy ill find my self bolting off inthe wrong direction, and i go through a set of tyres every couple of months !! and i dont really spin the wheels !
dannyboyau
Veteran Mechanic

Post by dannyboyau »

do you have a limited slip diff

I am aware there possibly will be torque steer and will be putting netto drag tyres on it so it will be hurting my pocket every few months for tyres but hey a mans gotta do what a mans gotta do, I just love the look of the fto but think it needs more power and i want to surprise a few skylines and rexs

by the way just updated the pics

every thing was taken off again to day and will be delivered tomorrow morning for ceramic coating
MattG
Grease Monkey

Post by MattG »

Most front wheel drive front engined cars go through the front tyres quickly. This can be offset by buying a harder compund (harder weearing tyre) however this usually has the side-effect of not being so grippy.
(eg racing slicks are quite soft but very grippy).

Unless you were doing burnouts in your FTO I don't think adding a turbo will make much of a difference, although the weight of the whole system may make a very slight difference.

M@
http://www.forensicdata.com.au
The Data Recovery Experts
dannyboyau
Veteran Mechanic

Post by dannyboyau »

hopefully there will be a little bit of differance when i add the turbo, :wink:

i expect to go through tyres a bit more often then now because i will be using much softer tyres,
the ones on there now are 10 months old and still good 50 % on them and have been good with the mivec engine, but i think i will need a bit better now
dannyboyau
Veteran Mechanic

Post by dannyboyau »

just updated some photos

G1
Mechanic

Post by G1 »

Ive had good experience with Michelin MXF Sport
Hard compound so it lasts the distance... and they grip very well to the road, I will probably get them again.
dannyboyau
Veteran Mechanic

Post by dannyboyau »

just added a couple more pics i took yesterday and will add some more this weekend should almost be finished then, the wiring is under way and almost put it all back together today

G1
Mechanic

Post by G1 »

hey dannyboy do you know what kind of front lip is on your car? i wouldnt mind getting something like that...

how much have you lowered your car front and rear? or did it come like that?
GPXXX
Oldtimer

Post by GPXXX »

G1, they are original Nakaya Tune front lip spoilers...

btw Danny, thanks again for your help yesterday. My spoiler now fits like a dream! (Pics to come soon...)

Dunno how much it has been lowered though'.
G1
Mechanic

Post by G1 »

according to http://www2u.biglobe.any.jp/~fto/fto/inf ... une-e.html

is it lowered -35mm using ohlins suspension

does anyone know how i can contact Akihiko Nakaya himself? :mrgreen:
GPXXX
Oldtimer

Post by GPXXX »

For what it's worth:

nakaya@mirage.co.jp

his website is: http://www.mirage.co.jp/nakaya/

CHEERS! :)
dannyboyau
Veteran Mechanic

Post by dannyboyau »

My FTO came with the suspension lowered 35 mm and i tried once to contact Akihiko Nakaya, but got no reply.

Mickey so happy to hear it fitted ok and cant wait to see the pics, I airbagged the bracket this morning and they said it will arrive your home on monday.

I had to modify the version R front bar slightly to get it to fit but you would be hard pressed to notice the modification.

All the fuel lines and fittings arived today so we will put them on tomorrow we had temporary lines to get it going and she is running and purrs like a kitten. now just to dyno it.

will post new pics tomorrow night.

Thanks again for your help mickey
G1
Mechanic

Post by G1 »

so i take it you guys swapped front bars? mikey has your oriinal bar now? what did you guys do with the lip?? i'll be interested f it is for sale.