Car Audio - Anybody had this same problem?

This forum discusses anything to do with your In Car Entertainment requirements such as. Stereo's, TV screens, Speakers, Navigation Systems, etc

Moderators: IMC, Club Staff

sublime19
Sooty!
jedwabna poszewka promocja

Car Audio - Anybody had this same problem?

Post by sublime19 »

I got my system put in my car yesterday, same head unit and 6x9s i had before, but when I tested it out after the installation, there was like NO bass from the speakers and it distorted.

The guy at Autobarn said it might be cos the board at the back is too thin and doesn't give a solid enough base to hold the speakers so the sub inside the speakers can't vibrate properly.
Before they sounded great but now it just sounds sh*t.

Is this cos of the way the FTO is built or did they just do a dodgey job..?
I'm taking it back on thursday so just wanna have an idea of the problem :(
I have to work - People on the dole depend on me.
Bennoz wrote:Meet Subby. The class leader & originator of post whoring... Although most of Subbys posts have 'content' :lol:
Bennoz wrote:They especially hate bonnets, they frisbee across the road & behead a pedestrian.
khunjeng
Oldtimer

Post by khunjeng »

probbaly in the wrong section.

Thats complete crap...although the parcel shelf isn't the best I have 6x9s and the bass is too much for me when I pump it up. something else is wrong.....
Nacho
Oldtimer

Post by Nacho »

Maybe you have accidentally turned on a high pass filter?
khunjeng
Oldtimer

Post by khunjeng »

yeah good point. My 6x9s have a high and low pass filter which need to be connected however normal brands don't have this. Mine do this so u can have different filters if u want. Without the low pass in place it sounds totally sh*t.
Dr_Jones
Veteran Mechanic

Post by Dr_Jones »

Could be wired out of phase also.
Deeps
Grease Monkey

Post by Deeps »

That sounds like they fobbed you off!!!

I know this sounds too simple but from what you have described, it sounds like a crossed wires issue. This might fix your problem, try to swap the positive and negative wires on the 6x9's (you can access them via your boot). If this works then you can go back down and demand your money back coz tnhey didnt know something that simple :)

If it's not that, they just did a dodgy job coz I know several FTO owners and all have 6x9's installed and all of them sound fine.
Dr_Jones
Veteran Mechanic

Post by Dr_Jones »

Deeps wrote:That sounds like they fobbed you off!!!

I know this sounds too simple but from what you have described, it sounds like a crossed wires issue.
That's what I said just in a less geekier fashion. Only change it on one speaker other wise you'll be right back where you started.
joey
Apprentice

Post by joey »

you have to rememberthe 6x9 which is running thru the demo board is running on a amp thats why you can hear the bass compared to when the 6x9 is only running from your head unit. so invest on a amp :D
Dr_Jones
Veteran Mechanic

Post by Dr_Jones »

It's been said however that these were performing ok in the other install with no amp.
FtoSam
Oldtimer

Post by FtoSam »

they screwed up. if they were fine before and distort now it could be a few things. crossed wire is one. however that would not create that much problems for a few reasons:
the speakers are far enough apart that they are not likely to have conflicting waves and that stereo sound means each one gets an individual signal. the second one is far less likely to make much difference.. only a little. but i'd be checking how they've secured the speakers to the shelf? if they are loose your bass will drop dramatically and they will distort or even rattle against other things... check the cone of the speaker is free from obstructions (ie. that one of the spacers used in the securing of the grill hasnt fallen down onto one of the cones...
A test i'd recomend is fade all your sound on the head unit to the rear and then fade between left and right and see if there is any difference between either one by themselves. if they are both s**t then it is not crossed wires. and it is unlikely that BOTH have something in them. that leaves either they are both unsecure or there is something else such as horrible settings on the head unit,etc.If you have a HPF set on your head unit you will get no bass... but also none of the distortion that goes with loud bass. if you have a LPF you will get no treble and only bass.. and most likely some distortion.... hope this helps.

If you need good deal on photography, let me know.