All about oil

This forum is for technical discussions on anything that will make your car handle better or go faster.

Moderators: IMC, Club Staff

Theremin
Grease Monkey
jedwabna poszewka promocja

All about oil

Post by Theremin »

If you want to know the difference between synthetic and mineral oils, or how 0W-40 is different from 5W-50 oil (or what that "W" actually stands for!), then read this. I don't know the name of the person who wrote it (it wasn't me), but if I did I would give them credit for it. A great document and well worth a read when you have time.

Part 1

A quick chemistry lesson for you all:

Chemistry as you may know is my forte, and to understand a lot of what I will talk about here an in the report requires a bit of an understanding of the organic chemistry of fuels and lubricants.

The basic core of lubricants and fuels is a group of organic compounds called hydrocarbons (HC), these being molecules that contain only hydrogen and carbon atoms. HC’s can be classed into three groups these being alkanes, alkenes and alkynes. Alkanes are those that have a single carbon to carbon bond in the molecule, alkenes have a double carbon to carbon bond and alkynes have a triple bond. Hence, all HC’s will end in either one of the above suffix’s (ane / ene / yne).

Butane (C4H10) is an alkane and therefore has single bonds between the carbons, whereas (C4H8) is an alkene and has double bonds and has lost two hydrogens to compensate for this extra bonding.

The names of the HC’s is dependent on the number of carbon atoms within the molecule. The following table shows the first part of the name and no of carbons and the ending can either be; ane, ene or yne.

Hydrocarbon | Name | Number of carbons | State at SLC | Notes
Meth | 1 | Gas | Common gas (cooking)
Eth | 2 | Gas | Used for plastics and synthetics
Prop | 3 | Gas| Compressed cylinder gas
But | 4 | Gas | Compressed lighter fluid
Pent | 5 | Gas / liquid Rapidly evaporates
Hex | 6 | Liquid
Hept | 7 | Liquid
Oct | 8 | Liquid | Prominent feature in ULP
Nan | 9 | Liquid
Dodec | 10 | Liquid | Prominent feature in diesel
- | >25 | Liquid | Think oil type fluid
- | >40 | Solid | Greases and waxes
- | >50 | Solid | Tar like substance

The states of the liquids can be changed depending on pressure, temperature and volume.

The greater the number of bonding, the higher the specific energy capacity, but the energy required to initiate the release of energy is also high (ie: combustion or ignition). Therefore, 1l of propane gas contains more energy than the same volume of methane but won’t ignite as readily.

On the other hand, for those into drag racing, is another type of organic compounds that includes the alcohols (OH). The system for naming alcohols is the same for HC’s, except they end with ‘anol’
For example, the simplest form is methanol with has the formula CH3OH. Next is ethanol C2H5OH and is the common alcohol in beer or wine.
Where it all starts and what the difference between synthetics and minerals and what’s the advantages of them?

Mineral bases are manufactured from crude oil, which has undergone a variety of complex separation operations. They are relatively inexpensive and deliver "average" performances. They are by far the most commonly used, for both automotive and industrial applications. Crude oil is obtained from the decomposition of organic matter (plants and animals). The consistency of the HC within the crude oil is extremely inconsistent, with anything from 1C right up to 58C. Such a mixture needs to be purified and refined. Mineral oil is the end result this purification process, where the consistency of the HC’s in better and there is also removal of sulphur and other contaminates.

Semi-synthetic oils are a mixture of mineral and synthetic bases (generally 70 to 80% mineral and 20 to 30% synthetic oil).
Synthetic oils are products created by the chemical reaction of several ingredients. Two main families are used for lubricant formulation :

• esters,
• synthetic hydrocarbons, in particular polyalphaolefins manufactured from ethylene.

These products have excellent physical properties and exceptional thermal stability. Synthetic oils, produced by complex chemical processes, are more expensive. However, they deliver "premium" performances :

• higher viscosity index,
• better thermal strength,
• and more oxidation-resistant

The same product can be done by continual refinement of mineral oils, but to start from scratch and produce a new synthetic type is faster, cheaper and therefore easier.

As far as the applications of them all, mineral oils are easily the most popular for no other reason than cost. Semi-synthetics are the best alternative for ‘running’ a new engine in. For a brand new engine, I strongly recommend that all motors, regardless if it’s a Ferrari or Daewoo, should be run in with semi synthetic oils. The reason being that it allows for all of the components to “key inâ€
Theremin
Grease Monkey

Post by Theremin »

Part 2

What are the applications of different viscosities and the advantages / disadvantages of using different grades?

Thin oils are specifically deigned for applications where the resistance to flow within the mechanism is high. This meaning in terms of an engine, the oil ports are small and there may be a lot of ‘clattered’ objects within the flow path of the oil, like multiple cams, rockers arms. In addition, the capacity of the sump is likely to be relatively small. For example, 0W40 oil is of an advantage to high output, small capacity engines where there is small oil volume and DOHC / QOHC setup.

Thin oil like 0W40 will reach operation temperature very fast and will be easily cycled or pumped through the engines ports and filters with ease. Engines that rev fast and hard require thinner oil because the need to replenish and cycle the fluid through the system is high. Engines that rev slower and have higher internal stresses (big block v8’s) tend to work better on oils with a higher W grade, so that pressure is sustained better and moving components stay in contact with oil for longer, seeing that because they rev slower, they are in less contact with the constant supply.

0W grades are best suited for turbo charged motors where the requirements for a thin oil are high. To allow the turbo to spool up fast is important and the move through the tight restraints of the internals. The reduction in the drag is also important. By just visually looking at the internal setup of a EJ20 from a wrx compared to a LS1 of a clubsport shows that the Subaru is a lot ‘busier’ and complex. Because of this, the oil will face more resistance in moving from A to B and a thinner oil is need so that an effective flow rate can still be achieved. So what’s wrong with using a thin oil in an engine like a LS1?? Well, it doesn’t exactly cause problems, but the engine is not really able to work at the full potential, due to the inability to stay in contact with moving components as long. Think of it this way, if you were to put one finger in honey and the other in water, the honey will stay on the finger longer the same way as thick oil will. From this perspective, I refer to gross mass of oil, this being large amounts on low-end bearing and cranks and NOT on the microscopic piston/ring setup. As you have read in the chemistry section, the larger the HC chain is (or the higher the number of C’s) the thicker it becomes. Thin oils contain base stocks that are relatively light (about 25C’s). The lighter the chains are the higher the tendency is usually to under oxidation, this being a loss of electrons, or in simple terms, a change in the oils ultimate function, usually a deterioration. Thin oils can cause a “glazing effectâ€
d_stroy_r
Mechanic

Post by d_stroy_r »

WAY TOO MUCH READING!

I read a bit of it and stopped. I wonder who wrote it?
smorison
The Godfather

Post by smorison »

wooooow can i post this up as part of our oils stuff????
hnm738
Grease Monkey

Post by hnm738 »

so is a 5w 50 best for our car?

this is what i got now but somehow my mechanic says its a bit loose so get bit more tappet noise?
Theremin
Grease Monkey

Post by Theremin »

I use 5W-50 because it's rated to provide better protection that 0W-40 at high temps. I live in Brisbane so extreme cold temps are not really an issue 8) and I know my enginge gets damn hot during a hard run, expecially in summer. I just make sure I take it easy when the engine is cold.

The formatting is all screwed, but there is a table in part 2 that compares the different types of oils.
G1
Mechanic

Post by G1 »

yeah i've got 0w40 now, it served me well for the winter, I will consider 5w50 or 15w50 for the summer though... the 15w50 would be for those who constantly push their car