Fly Girls FTO

So you want a hairdryer on your FTO? Or do you already have a hairdryer in it? This is the section for it. All other big power projects & forced induction goes here too.

Moderators: IMC, Club Staff

barfy
Mechanic
jedwabna poszewka promocja

Fly Girls FTO

Post by barfy »

Does anyone know who turboed fly girls FTO here in Adelaide ??

Im seriously thinking of doing this :twisted:
[img]http://i142.photobucket.com/albums/r103/barfy76/barfycopy1.jpg[/img]
barfy
Mechanic

Post by barfy »

Found out it was RPM they quoted me $8000 to turbo my car...

I was thinking if i bought most of the stuff myself like, turbo, injectors etc i could get the costs down abit.

The T28 is the turbo to use isnt it ? What size injectors do i need ?
jonowong
Oldtimer

Post by jonowong »

i remember mikeys and scracys ones were 480cc
khunjeng
Oldtimer

Post by khunjeng »

barfy wrote:Found out it was RPM they quoted me $8000 to turbo my car...

I was thinking if i bought most of the stuff myself like, turbo, injectors etc i could get the costs down abit.

The T28 is the turbo to use isnt it ? What size injectors do i need ?
I think its still gonna be costly...i reckon for 8k its a steal anyway...do they charge per hr?? 10k+ job if your playing some1 else...
bigpitty1
Mechanic

Post by bigpitty1 »

I reacon $8000 is a fair bit, but then you don't see many turbo'd FTOs running around so a lot of custom work has to be done.

I don't think the injectors need to be upgraded yet because the FTO injectors only run at 50% at redline, thats what I read anyway so you should be able to run at least 6psi maybe 7psi.

In the ZOOM magazine a while ago they had an article of putting a turbo on an FTO, I got it in a PDF File if you want it.
jonowong
Oldtimer

Post by jonowong »

yes please
barfy
Mechanic

Post by barfy »

Yeah send it over for sure !

I will PM my email
FTO338
Oldtimer

Post by FTO338 »

I think $8k is pretty cheap, consider Mikey spend over $15k for his, most probably due to R&D. Once you done one, i guess it would be much cheaper.
DISCLAIMER: The above text is the personal opinion of the author and does not represent the indisputable truth. The author is not responsible for any deaths, injuries or mental illness caused by the above statments.
barfy
Mechanic

Post by barfy »

Im pondering the idea, from what i heard fly girls was pretty reliable until she got caught doing 230kph down port wakefield road ...

That put a stop to things pretty quickly haha
FTO338
Oldtimer

Post by FTO338 »

That would of been funny though, watching the needle on the speedo at the 6'clock position buncing off like nuts :lol:
DISCLAIMER: The above text is the personal opinion of the author and does not represent the indisputable truth. The author is not responsible for any deaths, injuries or mental illness caused by the above statments.
RedlineGX
Grease Monkey

Post by RedlineGX »

Man i dont know how you guys justify spending 8000 in a turbo kit custom or not. I dont know where it goes?

Turbo - Just got a new one to replace larger one for less than $750
Turbo Oil Lines - $200
Intercooler - $400
Upgraded Fuel Pump - $300(not necessary)
Fuel Pressure Regulator - $200
Blow Off Valve - $300
Emanage + Install - $1400
Ext. Wastegate - $200
Custom Up/Downpipe - $800
Turbo Piping and Silicone - $500
Tuning Car - $1000
Boost Gauge - $100
New Oil - $100
Misc - $200

Total $6450

In truth I spent a good bit less than this on mine cause I managed to get my hands on some slightly used parts at a lot less than new which you can do too of course. And my up/down pipe was a lot cheaper and I didnt have to spend so much tuning. And installed emanage myself.

Now even if you dont go my route and do the work yourself, that still leaves back at least $1500 to pay someone to install and the custom up/down includes labour for that so basically he is putting together an almost bolt-on kit.
barfy
Mechanic

Post by barfy »

RedlineGX wrote:Man i dont know how you guys justify spending 8000 in a turbo kit custom or not. I dont know where it goes?

Turbo - Just got a new one to replace larger one for less than $750
Turbo Oil Lines - $200
Intercooler - $400
Upgraded Fuel Pump - $300(not necessary)
Fuel Pressure Regulator - $200
Blow Off Valve - $300
Emanage + Install - $1400
Ext. Wastegate - $200
Custom Up/Downpipe - $800
Turbo Piping and Silicone - $500
Tuning Car - $1000
Boost Gauge - $100
New Oil - $100
Misc - $200

Total $6450

In truth I spent a good bit less than this on mine cause I managed to get my hands on some slightly used parts at a lot less than new which you can do too of course. And my up/down pipe was a lot cheaper and I didnt have to spend so much tuning. And installed emanage myself.

Now even if you dont go my route and do the work yourself, that still leaves back at least $1500 to pay someone to install and the custom up/down includes labour for that so basically he is putting together an almost bolt-on kit.
This was the exact post i was after, i already have the FPR and the Emanange installed so thats $1600 saves already..

So did you get a T28 redline ? also did you need to get bigger injectors ?

What PSI are u running, and whats your KWs at the wheels
RedlineGX
Grease Monkey

Post by RedlineGX »

GT28R or TD04 would be good for a 6psi application.
I'm running 6psi. No bigger injectors but an EVO8 pump and rising rate regulator. Havent had it properly dynoed yet since I got some other minor plans but trust me you wont be disappointed.

Take a look at link for more info or emai me... info@redlinebarbados.com

http://www.ftoaustralia.com/modules.php ... ight=turbo
FTO338
Oldtimer

Post by FTO338 »

Are we talking about Australia dollar here RedlineGX? As i remember you said u not from Aus, i could be wrong. :oops:

And your is Non-MIVEC too isn't it, so I'm sure there will be a different when it comes to turbo a MIVEC.
barfy
Mechanic

Post by barfy »

Yeah i just picked up on the GR aspect from reading the posted link ...
RedlineGX
Grease Monkey

Post by RedlineGX »

Yes I was talking in Aus. Dollars
Yes it's also a GR. However from a bolt on perspective it is identical. Actually mine was more headache because I had ABS so the line leave less room.
I cant see that a Mivec will cost much more just requires more care when it comes down to the tuning, but on 6psi you should be fine.
Check out Ebay for all of the parts I listed. a lot are on there cheaper.
khunjeng
Oldtimer

Post by khunjeng »

whats sort of HP we looking at for $6000+ ?
barfy
Mechanic

Post by barfy »

Thanks for the PDF file Redline it was a good read, and that is acutally Fly girls FTO in the article ! and the same guys i got the quote from ...

The thing is they only got 121kw at the wheels with this turbo conversion and im already getting around 110kw, so i dont know if i can justify spend around 5 grand for and extra 11 KW ...

Also does the emanage have its on internal MAP sensor like the haltech one does, in the article they disconnected the cars MAP sensor and used the Haltech's MAP sensor to over come gear changing probs with the tip gearbox
FTO338
Oldtimer

Post by FTO338 »

I think you miss the point, i'm sure most of us know that the block for GR & GPX is the same, the only different is the ECU, CAM, different senor for intake & brakes. I'm not saying your figure is wrong mate, all i'm saying is you have to spend a bit more effort, which is money, to turbo a MIVEC. :wink:

Ebay for performance part..hmmm.....rice parts i would, but not mechanical, its luck of a draw really, sometimes you get a decent part because you picked a honest guy, sometimes you get junks from some dodgy bastard.
jonowong
Oldtimer

Post by jonowong »

barfy wrote: The thing is they only got 121kw at the wheels with this turbo conversion and im already getting around 110kw, so i dont know if i can justify spend around 5 grand for and extra 11 KW ...
yes but ull get a lot more torque :wink: