Fly Girls FTO

So you want a hairdryer on your FTO? Or do you already have a hairdryer in it? This is the section for it. All other big power projects & forced induction goes here too.

Moderators: IMC, Club Staff

barfy
Mechanic
jedwabna poszewka promocja

Post by barfy »

Ive also notice that fly girls STOCK fto was dyno'ed at 80kw at the wheels so i dont know where the other members got around 95kw for a stock FTO...

Makes me feel atlittle better now after i got my FTO dynoed with all my RPW add ons and got 97kw and then 110 kw after the emanage and cat back was installed. To get a 2kw gain for adding all the air flow add ons from RPW was bullshit but now that i know a stock FTO runs in at 80kw makes a hell of a lot of sence now !!
[img]http://i142.photobucket.com/albums/r103/barfy76/barfycopy1.jpg[/img]
barfy
Mechanic

Post by barfy »

jonowong wrote:
barfy wrote: The thing is they only got 121kw at the wheels with this turbo conversion and im already getting around 110kw, so i dont know if i can justify spend around 5 grand for and extra 11 KW ...
yes but ull get a lot more torque :wink:
Yeah true and i also read that they didnt increase the injectors or the fuel pump so i guess if u did that an tuned it you would get a few more KW out of it :twisted:

Heres a link to the article by the way ....

http://www.filelodge.com/files/room25/6 ... Opart1.pdf

http://www.filelodge.com/files/room25/6 ... Opart2.pdf
RedlineGX
Grease Monkey

Post by RedlineGX »

barfy wrote: The thing is they only got 121kw at the wheels with this turbo conversion and im already getting around 110kw, so i dont know if i can justify spend around 5 grand for and extra 11 KW ...

Also does the emanage have its on internal MAP sensor like the haltech one does, in the article they disconnected the cars MAP sensor and used the Haltech's MAP sensor to over come gear changing probs with the tip gearbox
I dont think you can fairly compare what you have and what someone else got. Think of it as a percentage increase. If you already have a lot of mods they will only add to the turbo. Ultimately you add more air, you add more fuel you get a faster car. Everything else is more or less about improving the effieciency of that general fact. In any case you would have to be doing something very wrong to get 11kw from 6psi of boost!
I havent dynoed the car but if I had to have a realistic guess I would say I have easily got another 40-50hp from just 4psi. Its easily twice as effective as all my other mods put together and I havent even done the final tweaking tune yet.

You can get an emanage MAP sensor separately for a little more that will read the boost. My car has an MAF so didnt need one and I would need to upgrade to the Emanage Ultimate to change my MAF to MAP.

As far as bying parts from Ebay...once you buy from an Ebay Store(not individuals like FTO338 says thats luck game) which I do and are sure you are getting the right part you should be fine. But the fact is retail stores have high overheads and dont always buy in bulk, so ebay stores can afford to sell cheaper. I've never had a problem with any of my ebay parts. Im forced to buy from overseas anyway cause we dont have a lot of the quality parts I'm looking for in stock on the island.
barfy
Mechanic

Post by barfy »

RedlineGX wrote:Man i dont know how you guys justify spending 8000 in a turbo kit custom or not. I dont know where it goes?

Turbo - Just got a new one to replace larger one for less than $750
Turbo Oil Lines - $200
Intercooler - $400
Upgraded Fuel Pump - $300(not necessary)
Fuel Pressure Regulator - $200
Blow Off Valve - $300
Emanage + Install - $1400
Ext. Wastegate - $200
Custom Up/Downpipe - $800
Turbo Piping and Silicone - $500
Tuning Car - $1000
Boost Gauge - $100
New Oil - $100
Misc - $200

Total $6450

In truth I spent a good bit less than this on mine cause I managed to get my hands on some slightly used parts at a lot less than new which you can do too of course. And my up/down pipe was a lot cheaper and I didnt have to spend so much tuning. And installed emanage myself.

Now even if you dont go my route and do the work yourself, that still leaves back at least $1500 to pay someone to install and the custom up/down includes labour for that so basically he is putting together an almost bolt-on kit.
Dude you forgot the most important thing... Custom manifold which will cost atleast $2000
RedlineGX
Grease Monkey

Post by RedlineGX »

At least $2000AU 8O 8O 8O

Whats that made of Gold?

I do have custom up/downpipe listed...cause you can reuse the existing manifold, just come up after it connects. They cost me about $600AU. The downpipe is pretty basic. The uppipe is a little more tricky but i cant imagine how it could cost $2000!! Especially if you dont have ABS.

Material cant be worth more than $200 or so, so the rest of that is labour? For what, looking at something, deciding what angle is correct and then bending to suit? I know its more technical than that but I got mine completed in 2 days with one man on the job and another assisting only briefly on occassion.
I did my whole turbo conversion including fabricating pipes from scratch in 4 6hour days.
Jase
Grease Monkey

Post by Jase »

Labour aint cheap. Most people(including myself) would struggle doing most of the work themselves. If you drive in drive out with all brand new stuff you'll get manafactures warranty on parts and i'd imagine warranty on workmanship. For an extra 2 or 3k i'd be going to a workshop.
www.racingspec.com.au
khunjeng
Oldtimer

Post by khunjeng »

barfy wrote:Ive also notice that fly girls STOCK fto was dyno'ed at 80kw at the wheels so i dont know where the other members got around 95kw for a stock FTO...

Makes me feel atlittle better now after i got my FTO dynoed with all my RPW add ons and got 97kw and then 110 kw after the emanage and cat back was installed. To get a 2kw gain for adding all the air flow add ons from RPW was bullshit but now that i know a stock FTO runs in at 80kw makes a hell of a lot of sence now !!
maybe a stock GR...GPX is more like 95kwatw stock. Mine was dyno'd on 98 ron before any mods and got 95...after with cta back, CAI pipe and pod and was 105 on the same dyno...thats before all the other stuff i have done to it since then. feels good anyway.
RedlineGX
Grease Monkey

Post by RedlineGX »

Jase wrote:Labour aint cheap. Most people(including myself) would struggle doing most of the work themselves. If you drive in drive out with all brand new stuff you'll get manafactures warranty on parts and i'd imagine warranty on workmanship. For an extra 2 or 3k i'd be going to a workshop.
I understand your point about the warranty but that extra 3k is exactly what I paid to t/charge my own car. You guys got me thinking about doing up a kit from my car and reselling! :wink:
barfy
Mechanic

Post by barfy »

Nah dude hers was a stock GPX and got 80kw at the wheels heres the proof, check out last page of part 2

http://www.filelodge.com/files/room25/6 ... Opart2.pdf