will this make a decent sound set up

This forum discusses anything to do with your In Car Entertainment requirements such as. Stereo's, TV screens, Speakers, Navigation Systems, etc

Moderators: IMC, Club Staff

shue
Oldtimer
jedwabna poszewka promocja

will this make a decent sound set up

Post by shue »

i'm finally getting round to fixing my sound set up. i was digging thru the alpine catalogue and decided to go for the type s speakers,
front speakers 6 1/2 inch component
rear speakers 6 1/2 inch coaxial or 6*9 coaxial - which one of those 2 is better??? or should i get component's for the back too?
and whats the difference between a 4/3/2 amp and a 2/1 amp. ?
khunjeng
Oldtimer

Post by khunjeng »

when it comes to the front : i went splits with my own cross-over - adjustbale one. 6 & 1/2" driver in the doors...tweaters in the dash.

For the back. I went 6x9 cos it is a direct replacement for the stock speakers. easily done took me less than 40min. Again I went ones with seperate, adjustbale cross overs although not such a big deal.

Now if u going to run amps and subs (which I don't) 6-6.5" in the back will be fine. But if your happy with the amount of Bass your gonna be getting outta the 6x9s then thats the cheapest option.

Now 6x9...3way etc?? I go 2 way...why?? cos I'm really just using them for bass and some medium/high frequencies...I use the speakers in the front for all the medium to high..thats they way i did it anyway!
frozenwaffles
Grease Monkey

Post by frozenwaffles »

ok dude, sounds like you are heading for my system exactly. i have the type s splits in the front, they sound fantastic.
i have the 6 by 9s in the back, they are great too.
i run the front splits off channel one and two of a 4 channel v12 alpine amp. my 12 type s sub runs of 3/4 in bridge mode. i then run a cheap sony 2 channel amp for the rears.
if you want great spl and no distortion, do not run any speaker from a head unit!
i have a new sony GT700D head unit. best unit on market...why?
it has 4 independant 13 band eqs with full time alignment. these are the two most critical item for getting you car sound great!
if you in sydney come and have a look at my baby if you want.
khunjeng
Oldtimer

Post by khunjeng »

thats some good advice...or be lazy like me and run it from the head unit...to me its fine...coulnd't be bothered with the amp at this stage but would be a better option for sure.
joey
Apprentice

Post by joey »

that's sound like a great set up my set is all kenwoods 6 inch split at the fronts and 6 inchs and the back and one sub and all runng on a four channel and a mono block and the head is a XXV-01D i'm more of a person who like there music with deep bass
it really up to you what type of sound are you after
shue
Oldtimer

Post by shue »

frozenwaffles it is your headunit i'm getting if u ever decide to pm me and let me know :wink: yea speakers ive decided on the type s splits up front.6*9's at the rear. would a 4 channel amp cover the 4 speakers? i'll get the subs and a mono block for them at a later stage with a proper boot install
mxysxy
Oldtimer

Post by mxysxy »

Do multi channel amplifiers have multiple RCA entries?

I can’t understand how an amp can distinguish the difference between front and rear speakers if all running from one amp. Also the difference between left and right speakers.
Headunits have (+/-) outlet for each corner of the car, plus a RCA rear jack for the subs.

Now if I am running both front speakers from one amp, where do I connect 2 sets of cables from headunit? Front left (+/-) and front right (+/-)
joey
Apprentice

Post by joey »

it really up to what head unit are you getting becuase some head unit come with 1 pair rcas or 2 or 3 pairs

pair rca should cover fronts and other rca should cover rear/sub and the third rca should be only for sub control
joey
Apprentice

Post by joey »

question what head unit are you running with and i find out for you
mxysxy
Oldtimer

Post by mxysxy »

joey wrote:question what head unit are you running with and i find out for you
KENWOOD 50W X 4, MODEL KDC-5023
khunjeng
Oldtimer

Post by khunjeng »

mxysxy wrote:Do multi channel amplifiers have multiple RCA entries?

I can’t understand how an amp can distinguish the difference between front and rear speakers if all running from one amp. Also the difference between left and right speakers.
Headunits have (+/-) outlet for each corner of the car, plus a RCA rear jack for the subs.

Now if I am running both front speakers from one amp, where do I connect 2 sets of cables from headunit? Front left (+/-) and front right (+/-)
essentially in a basic setup eithrr does your head unit...its only stereo i.e. L+R so an amp is the same really. the fader simply controls the volume from Front to Back...not much else so u can balance the sound the way u want.

now with some serious DSP...thats another story.

not that I'm a expert in car amps...but u run ut head unit to the amp...amp to the speakers. RCAs are simply shielded cables that have the +Ve in the pin and the -Ve on the outer (i think can't remeber) suposed to be better etc...cos of the shield..in the end...current capacity is all that matters and that too is another story and between the headunit and the amp...not much current is required..but shielding is good...assuming is grounded properly at each end otherwise its useless and I have seen a lot of uselesss setups that cost packets...