Just installed my HKS air filter

This forum is for technical discussions on anything that will make your car handle better or go faster.

Moderators: IMC, Club Staff

NightFire
Apprentice
jedwabna poszewka promocja

Just installed my HKS air filter

Post by NightFire »

And it all went smoothly!
I ordered an HKS Super Power Flow about 3 weeks ago, and installed it in my GR on sunday. Very simple to do (despite me not being able to read Japanese, as the manual was 100% Japanese), just followed the pictures for the most part. But it was basically, old filter off, new filter on. Took 20 mins.
Results... well, I didn't take it to a dyno before and after, but these are my impressions of a new air filter.
My ride is now a lot quieter... what the? I was expecting the car to become a little noiser, but it has made a big improvement and made the in car noise a lot quieter. My car already had an HKS Super Dragger (I think) exhaust, which I found very loud. The new filter solved some of the noise.
It has made a nice improvement though, when I put my foot down hard. A nice deep throaty noise.
An air filter review on the web gave the HKS an average 7 bhp improvement on the FTO. It may be in my head, but the car does seem to have more power..

So, all well with the air filter install. I did pay $315NZ for it, but so far its been well worth it.
jetlee
Apprentice

Post by jetlee »

Hey, goodstuff Nightfire, i just put a simota pod on mine and it sounds awesome. I got it dyno'd and it gave just under 4kw atw. So i was very happy with the results. $30 filter gave me 4kw's
KillaFlop
Apprentice

Post by KillaFlop »

i got a nice green one in mine and yea, i noticed my exhaust got a little quieter 2 , unsure why :?:

but the roar when the 2nd cam comes in2 play is deafening and pure bliss... i love it...
Deeps
Grease Monkey

Post by Deeps »

Do mods like these (eg exhaust, air filter, etc) change your insurance premium?

Also I read in another post that air intake and exaust systems should be one of the first mods to get.

Finally, what air intake and exhaust systems do you other guys have and how much did they cost?

Thanks
NightFire
Apprentice

Post by NightFire »

I have no idea if it will bump up my insurance or even if they are legal over here (NZ) but I just got a warrant of fitness last week, so I'm good to go for another 6 months :D

I've also heard the two important mods to do first are the air filter and exhaust. I guess these give the most noticable difference, as they are the 2 things that hold the car back the most...

Killaflop, did you get the HKS as well? I'm wishing I had got mine a year ago when I first got the car!

Damn jetlee, thats a good turn around from $30.. I know I'd rather pay $30 than $300, but once I get stuck on something, then you can't talk be out of it :lol:
jetlee
Apprentice

Post by jetlee »

I don't know if a lancer one would fit but maybe a galant one would, either way with a bit of minimal custom work by a mechanic or someone who knows what they're doing could fit intake on if they wanted too. For my pipe i had to push the battery another inch to the left
Artist formerly known as XXXFTO
D-TRAIN
Mechanic

Post by D-TRAIN »

jerrin wrote:did u buy your HKS air filter specify for ftos?

i was planning to buy a HKS air filter when i go back to my home country but they done have much ftos there.. so i suppose it'll be hard for me to find on that specifically fits ftos.... would a HKS one for lancer one fit?
If I were you, I would try to get HKS one specifically for the FTO. It'd simply be a bolt-on process. No mucking around in the engine bay.

How much cheaper is it overseas?
NightFire
Apprentice

Post by NightFire »

Yeah I did, HKS sell two for the FTO, a mivec and non mivec air filter. No idea on the code/model numbers, but a quick serach on the net will be able to find them.
GPXXX
Oldtimer

Post by GPXXX »

try the Perfectrun website <--- (click here) they'll have the relevant part #s for the item you require... (incl prices, application etc)
NightFire
Apprentice

Post by NightFire »

Thats a cool site, thanks GPXXX!