180km Speed Jumper

This forum is for technical discussions on anything that will make your car handle better or go faster.

Moderators: IMC, Club Staff

hnm738
Grease Monkey
jedwabna poszewka promocja

Post by hnm738 »

just curious that a lot of people have said that

these A'PEXi S-AFC II dont help at all unless you modify cams?

but it can increase fuel... so doesnt increasing fuel help go faster?
RallyMad
Oldtimer

Post by RallyMad »

THey would give more power with more fuel provided that the fuel pump and injectors can keep up with the need for the additional fuel. And of course that the engine can suck in more air as well. Otherwise you'll just run rich and overfuel.

I think that just using the S-AFC to increase fuel would not provide as much power as new cams etc. But I've heard a lot of people have found only very slight benefits to adjusting the mivec point. I think most people find that the standard pooint if not vbery close to it is the best. Don't forget that the manufacturer has spent millions on getting this engine to work efficiently.

Here's a question, I know for some honda's (mates VTEC YO!!!!!'s) that doing to many extractor mods or cam and other engine mods actually losses power without the whole package of engine mods over standard. I assume it's because the basic package is tuned within an inch of it's life. So that being said is the standard tune for the FTO more conservative? Do most people find gains from cam and engine management mods?
kaveman
Grease Monkey

Post by kaveman »

hi again
my is a GR so it only has the std V6

i have done the exhaust/air intake/fpr/piggyback

with the mapping in the piggyback i am actually cutting fuel out

yes thats right cutting fuel out

on full throudle over 5500 rpm only running 60%

you only increase fuel if you are running turbo/supercharge

for those of you in sydney if you want a look at it i will be at the bbq
D-TRAIN
Mechanic

Post by D-TRAIN »

RallyMad wrote:Here's a question, I know for some honda's (mates VTEC YO!!!!!'s) that doing to many extractor mods or cam and other engine mods actually losses power without the whole package of engine mods over standard. I assume it's because the basic package is tuned within an inch of it's life. So that being said is the standard tune for the FTO more conservative? Do most people find gains from cam and engine management mods?
NA cars are already difficult to tune but I think the FTO is even more difficult, especially with Mivec. I don't know of any FTOs with aftermarket cams here or the UK, or even in Japan (any web pages that I've come across). If there are, someone is keeping very quiet about it.

Most cars out of factory is going to be somewhat conservative. Take the exhaust system for example. You can gain abit from extractors/front pipe. This I have seen here and in Japan as well. So that's a proven mod I guess. But yeah, mods are very few and far between without disturbing the balance of the car.
Quattro
Apprentice

Post by Quattro »

I believe RPW have cams and extractors kits and have done a lot of research into this area. I'm not sure what kinda gains they are getting out of them though?? Does anyone know??? :?:
D-TRAIN
Mechanic

Post by D-TRAIN »

RPW has been working on cams for the FTO for a long time. I don't think they have got anything finalised.

As for extractors, I think they were the first to mass produce them locally. But no dyno result has been taken for them. Not that I know of anyways.

UAS has the front pipe (without headers) and Stephen has some proven dyno gains for them (in the FTO Project).